So my bass player absolutely refuses to play his bass with alternate picking. We were writing a kind of metal-ish song today and the riff im playing is fairly fast so I needed a bass line to match that. So he writes a decent line, but when it comes time to play it it leads to him down-stroking the entire thing as fast as he can, which isnt fast enough.

Now ive got a jumbled mess of a bass line, and when I ask him to try it with alternate picking, he refuses to with his only argument being "Tell that to Johnny Ramone".

I'm on my last nerve here. He's purposely not learning to alternate pick because of one person. And this isn't the only thing; he can't tune his own bass nor name any of the strings. But through some miracle he's a pretty decent bass player.

So I guess my question here is how do you all feel about alternate picking on the bass?
I didn't want to learn alternate picking either
but tell him to keep his options open and he should learn to alternate pick, but not use it if he doesn't HAVE to

also, show him Victor Wooten

if he has natural talent and is willing to expand, hes gonna go somewhere
if he has natural talent an is a dick, he'll be stuck in a garage with the rest of his dick band

if he keeps bein a dick, kick him out, get a guitarist who knows some rhythm chords and thats just as good..
pff. tell him to play with his fingers then. i think alternate picking on bass is stupid when you have fingers.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
One you need to tell your bass player that Dee Dee was the bass player for the Ramones...

Two--alternate picking for punk and other genres is the probably the best way to improve speed and efficiency of motion. But many guitarist and bass players don't use it because it takes abit of time to get down solid so that you can play faster.

And I question your definition of decent, because unless he has a super human ear, getting by without being able to tune or know what notes he's playing sounds fundamentally limiting.
Agreed.

And get the boy using his fingers, im not saying picks are sh*t or anything. But hes obviously to much of a dick to know how to use one.
That prety much sums it up.
If it was my i would have put on my polished army boots and kicked him out.

No point in playing in a band with a stuborn ignorand fool.

And yes for real speed try using your fingers.

PS. is it that hard to learn 4 letters?? EADG.....

anyways i say kick him out. (until you find a replacement bassist give one of the guitarist and octave pedal to comensate ;0) )
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Before this goes any further, let me just state that the first indication this moving towards the age old pick vs fingers shouting match, I will close this thread down. Yes, I can do that.

To stay on topic, every bassist should learn all the tricks of the trade, including alternative picking. Being as diverse as possible makes you a better bassist. Frankly, in the TS case, I'd be worried more about the lack of basic musical and bass knowledge, than the fact he can't do alternate picking.
Quote by anarkee
To stay on topic, every bassist should learn all the tricks of the trade, including alternative picking. Being as diverse as possible makes you a better bassist. Frankly, in the TS case, I'd be worried more about the lack of basic musical and bass knowledge, than the fact he can't do alternate picking.

I completely agree. If he doesn't even the very fundamental basics of playing a bass, he's got some problems. How long has he been playing? If he's just started, then I would slap him in the face and tell him to put some effort into his learning experience. If he's been playing for a while, then I would slap him in the face and tell him to stop being so stubborn and open his mind a little.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

what's the point in having a bass player if they can't play the songs?

Ok, i agree if someone's still learning then you shouldn't fire them without a chance, but this guy is choosing not to learn.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Mar 22, 2008,