So I have purchased a bass and amp off of my friend to mess around on (I normally play guitar). It is a "Samick" (A brand I have never heard of) and looks like your typical Fender P bass. One split p/up and a volume and tone knob. The amp is a Crate BX 15 and I think sounds pretty good (I actually run my guitar through it as I really like having alot of low end when I play).

I payed (or rather have yet to pay :P) $100 for this, did I get a good deal here? The bass is in good condition as it has no scratches etc. I get a little fret buzz on the low E string only on the 5th fret (weird I know) but can't hear it when playing through the amp so IDC.

So yes, you bassists have another guitarist imposter among you :P

pepsi
Last edited by pepsi_lovr at Mar 24, 2008,
If you're happy with your purchase then yes, you made a good deal.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
I am happy with my purchase. It gives me an opportunity to make covers of entire songs as I now have a bass, guitar and drumkit. I am merely curious if I got a good deal in getting these items for $100.

pepsi
yeah thats a pretty good deal for both the bass and the amp. the bass alone is most likely worth over $100
Samick has some pretty decent instruments, although the majority of the ones I've come across are usually entry-level.

Regardless, getting a bass and small combo for $100 is a good deal, considering you like it and all. Most brand new starter packs are at least double that price, and a new beginner bass usually starts around $150.
samick does make really nice basses for the price
they are not MIA fenders but they are really worth the money
so it was a really good deal

BTW the fret buzz could be the string it happened the same thing with my GSR200 when i did a little bend in the string when putting it
now the string buzz only in the second fret but no t a big deal
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
i say you got a good deal. Samick is not a bad bass, and the BX15 is an ok starter amp. don't worry about string buzz, that'll get better as your technique improves.
welcome to the UG Bass.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Mar 22, 2008,
the buzzing will likely be due to the action being too low, it can be sorted out by either raising the bridge sadles or tightening (? or loosening I forget which way it goes) the truss rod though you're gonna be better off bringing it in to a guitar shop to do if you don't know what you're doing (if you tighten or loosen the truss rod too much you can warp the neck).
It's a pretty good deal for getting both. Good job.

Also, a split pup is the Precision, not Jazz. Just so you know.
Quote by Pink Muse
It's a pretty good deal for getting both. Good job.

Also, a split pup is the Precision, not Jazz. Just so you know.

I was taking a guess at which it was I actually looked up the differences between the two when I was finished starting this thread, I shall make the necessary adjustment now.

pepsi