Right just starting out and have both an electric and acoustic, right then just wondering other than what i have seen in lessons and beginners songs is there anything that would help me develop my technique as such? Help me improve speed? Anything i should ensure that i do in my time of practicing etc? Any advice would be much appreciated
The best practice tip I can give you would be to plan out your practices so that you're organized and can devote a specific amount of focused time to each thing you want to work on. Being organized in this way will allow you to address specific areas of your playing and you'll progress more quickly.

But yes, make sure you have fun with it too.
Well.. I would say that learning to play the piano classically would help your technique no end, but that might be going over the top a bit.
Also, never force yourself to practise. Make sure playing guitar never becomes a chore.
Do everything at your own pace man, when I started out I had a bunch of people better than me but I just used it as fuel to get better and five years later here I am, you'll pick it up just relax and practice as much as you can, it sucks but it has to be done.
Do Whip-Its
Quote by ReigningShadow
Right just starting out and have both an electric and acoustic, right then just wondering other than what i have seen in lessons and beginners songs is there anything that would help me develop my technique as such? Help me improve speed? Anything i should ensure that i do in my time of practicing etc? Any advice would be much appreciated
You should and get a metronome they're cheap so you don't have to worry and if you can't get one Use your watches minute hand because it helps.

Also try to practice 1-2 hours a day you will notice a BIG difference in a weeks time.

I know I've done that I used to practice 20 minutes a day and I stayed slow and I couldn't learn a song very easily. Then After guitar hero came out it fueled my anger and I've started to play my guitar 1-2 hours a day and some times 3 depending on my mood and it totally rocks now I'm almost at the level I can transcribe a song just by listing to it.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Chromatics with a Metronome
Scales with a Metronome

Up and Down, Up and Down all cleanly so it sounds good, then when you think you can move up move it up a slight amount in BPM and the same thing happens aghain

it takes a few months to become fast though