Yeah i'm hoping to start building a guitar for school soonish. I have everything figured out, apart from the neck angle.

I hope to make a neck through style guitar, 25.5" scale (647.7mm)

Using a Tune o matic bridge.

The only thing I cant seem to figure out is the neck angle.

I wanna try and have the fretboard even with the body, and I'm using a 16" radius fretboard which is 5.54 mm high in the center.

I have looked at diagrams on how to determine a neck angle, but I cant really determine how high / low the action will be in reality from a cad drawing.

All help is appreciated

Nick
Generally 3 degrees. A Les Paul has a 5 degree neck pitch but anything with a slab body and a flat top and a t-o-m bridge, 3 degrees is fine.

The only way to be truly sure is to draw it out to scale.
Just out of curiousity, when you say you want the fretboard even with the body, do you mean you want the surface of the fretboard or the bottom edge of the fretboard (where it's glued to the neck wood) even with the body? I've never seen the surface of the fretboard even with a body, but, it sounds interesting. Also, do you want the body/fret board junction to be parallel to each others' surface? I ask because if you make the two parallel, then you will have to recess the bridge. If you do design a neck angle in, then you can elliminate the need for recessing the bridge provided you angle the neck with respect to the surface of the body. At that point, you will not have the surface of your fret board parallel with the surface of the body and defeat what I'm thinking your trying to achieve.

I like to carve the top of the body so there is a angle from the bridge to the neck joint...thicker under the bridge and thinner at the neck joint. I then match the bottom edge of the fretboard with the top of the body when I fit the neck. Because I route the neck joint and pickup cavities after I shape the top, I don't have to worry about routing neck angles or "working" the neck joint to get what I'm after. I made a jig/routing template to accomplish this that lays on the carved top, flush from the bridge to the neck joint and clamps to the body. All I do next is recess the bridge to allow for adjustability of the action, and because I like the looks of a recessed tune-o-matic. The recessed tune-o-matic is actually the reason why I do any of the above in the first place. I hope some of what I do helps you or at least makes it a little easier on you.
Quote by hercules1
Just out of curiousity, when you say you want the fretboard even with the body, do you mean you want the surface of the fretboard or the bottom edge of the fretboard (where it's glued to the neck wood) even with the body?

I want to have the bottom edge of the fretboard even with the top surface of the body, purely for looks

Quote by hercules1
Also, do you want the body/fret board junction to be parallel to each others' surface? I ask because if you make the two parallel, then you will have to recess the bridge.

I looked at some pictures of recessed tune o matics, however I wouldnt know where to start really if i were to recess the bridge. Would it be as simple as making a route to fit the tune o matic in snugly or do i need to make a little more room for it?
Quote by hercules1
Just out of curiousity, when you say you want the fretboard even with the body, do you mean you want the surface of the fretboard or the bottom edge of the fretboard (where it's glued to the neck wood) even with the body? I've never seen the surface of the fretboard even with a body, but, it sounds interesting.

You've never seen it because it wouldn't work- the strings would vibrate against the top of the guitar, and as well, you'd have to recess the pickups. Wouldn't work.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!