I'm thinking of buying a vox AC30 soon, i was just wondering, is it possible to change the tubes in it, i was thinking putting some KT66's in it somewhere, i think they are power tubes. I;ve heard people saying that you can't change tubes, and i've heard some people saying you can. what is actually right?

Thanks

-Blues_King
lol@u
Picture, thousand words, blah, blah, blah.

The AC-30 uses EL-84s. They're the same diameter as preamp tubes, only taller.
They look like this:

KT66s look like this:

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
ah, thanks, is an octal tube one with 8 pins? (see, octal, oct, eight, i'm smart )
and, i know from my TT planning, an EL-84 has 9 pins, so is that a noval?

so, therefore, would an EL-84 fit in any noval socket? or is there a particular one?
lol@u
Yes octal tube is a 9 pin tube, noval is 9 pin.

A EL84 will fit an tube socket with 9 little sockets. You cant just throw a any noval tube into a noval socket. The socket has to be wired for a specific tube.
Quote by kurtlives91
Yes octal tube is a 9 8 pin tube, noval is 9 pin.

A EL84 will fit an tube socket with 9 little sockets. You cant just throw a any noval tube into a noval socket. The socket has to be wired for a specific tube.
*fixed*
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Consult the amp's manual or contact the manufacturer. The socket itself is going to be the same, just 9 pins arranged with the proper spacing. Its the circuitry that is connected to it that actually matters. A noval socket with a 12AX7 for example will be wired differently than one for an EL84 because it is a different type of tube (dual triode vs. pentode) and the pins will correspond to different components.

I can't really think of a common tube that you could reasonably get that is a noval power pentode similar to an EL84 so you would essentially be stuck with the EL84/6BQ5s.