Hello all,

My brother just got a pod x3 and wants to take it to play with his friends. I told him the best thing to get to play it through is a a small portable pa system or a powered monitor. He wants nothing to do with that and has convinced himself a mid-wattage combo amp will do him better. I disagree but dont have enough knowledge on pods to advise him on why.

all i know is I have a pocket-pod and it sounds great thru headphones and on my monitor speakers but horrible on my half-stack and all of my 3 combo amps.

I guess my question is is it possible to use a pod x3 to get effects only and not color the actual tone? what amp would you reccomend if this were the case, he wants a combo, used 60 watts or more for under $400

thanks in advance
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
yeah i think youre right, a mini pa or flat response amp...powered monitor thingy is what pods are made for...a guitar amp defeats most of the object of a pod
Dancing In Your Dust
well, i think you are able to just shut down the amp/cabinet modeling on the pod and it shouldn´t color your signal that much any more
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Ferrarone
well, i think you are able to just shut down the amp/cabinet modeling on the pod and it shouldn´t color your signal that much any more

are you sure about that or are you guessing??
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
I believe you can bypass the preamp by putting the input of the POD in the send of the effects loop.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
does anyone actually do this that anyone knows?? I totally appreciate the responses BTW I just would like confirmation, not speculation.
Again thanks for all the responses.
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
i´m pretty sure you can shut down the preamp section (cab and amp sim) and just use the effects. you can to that on all other multi fx at least. try it on the pod!

as it is just a pocket pod i wouldn´t suggest him buying a amp that suits just a multi fx (like a roland guitar amp)

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Ferrarone

as it is just a pocket pod i wouldn´t suggest him buying a amp that suits just a multi fx (like a roland guitar amp)

I have a pocket pod, my brother has an x3 live
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
Quote by stradivari310
I believe you can bypass the preamp by putting the input of the POD in the return of the effects loop.

fixed

or you could get one of those atomic reaktor power amps which are designed for use with modelling preamps like the pods.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Here's what you can do:

1 - If any of the amps have an effects loop, hook everything up like this:

Guitar -> PodX3 Input -> Effects Loop Return

Doing that will bypass the amps preamp and only utilize the power amp section. The Pods work fine with a SS poweramp, but sound even better paired with a tube power amp.

2 - There are amps designed specifically for using modelers:

- Atomic Reactor
- Tech 21 Power Engine

3 - If you guys have a PA, plug directly into that.

4 - If none of that is possible, he can always plug into the front of whatever amps you're using. Be sure to use the clean channel and set the EQ's on the amp at 12 o'clock and make slight adjustments if necessary.
Quote by Ferrarone
i´m pretty sure you can shut down the preamp section (cab and amp sim) and just use the effects. you can to that on all other multi fx at least. try it on the pod!

You are correct.

I have the POD XTL and sounds great through my PA. Now for the rest of it it depends on the amp. I'm able to completely bypass the preamp on My Vox DA 20 and it's pretty much like just having 2x8's hanging off of it. Now with my peavey transtube it's a different story, that amp just doesn't like other stuff on it. No matter what I do or how i hook it up the POD (and every other pedal I've hooked to it) just sounds bad.

This is just subjective but for my ears I love what the Valve Jr does for my POD. Even better then my PA. The tubes in the Vj just adds a creaminess that wasn't there before and when I go to a heavier amp model and push the gain I get some great tones out of it (think KISS and RATT). I'm not into death metal or anything like that, but Iwouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get those low end wall shaker tones with a little work.

Here's something that everyone on the line 6 forum raves about, but I've never seen one so I have no personal experience with it. It's a tube amp voiced specifically for multi-fx pedals.

http://www.atomicamps.com/

Good luck
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
If you want to use an amp with the POD its best to just not use the amp modeling and just use the Stomp/Mod/Delay but get your amp tone from your actual amp.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
The Pod's do have an option to pick what you're hooking it up to. Hit the 'Tune System' button once, turn the 'Select' knob to the right, and use the 'Effect Tweak' knob to scroll through the output options.
thoese atomic amps look pretty sweet, the amp with the multi fx in would turn out like a spider valve amp with better modelling

If he wants to use it on an amp, he has to turn off the cabinet and mic settings otherwise it sounds badly digital... i use my POD through my B-52 AT-212 in the effects loop and i get a godly tone, but i turned off the cabinet and mic settings so it's just like running an amp head / distortion / effects / stomps through my cabinet.
GEAR:

Jackson Dinky DX-10D Amber Sunburst (W/ EMG-81, EMG-85)
EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 PODxt Live
B-52 AT-212
Martin D12X1
so yeah i just pretty much repeated what everyone else said...
GEAR:

Jackson Dinky DX-10D Amber Sunburst (W/ EMG-81, EMG-85)
EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 PODxt Live
B-52 AT-212
Martin D12X1
THATS JUST WHAT I NEEDED!!!!

thanks all,
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
What if the amp don't have effects loop?
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by angeldef
What if the amp don't have effects loop?

Then you can plug the Pod in front of the amp like a pedal. It'll work fine, but you'll want to set your amp to have a relatively flat response.