I've decided that when I'm playing metal I'm going to start playing with a pick as I can play a lot faster and the tone is a lot better for metal in my opinion. Can any of you guys give me some pointers on getting started with pickstyle so I don't start developing bad habbits :P

Cheers
uhh... just look at how other people hold their pick, I rest my hand on the bridge.
I don't use a pick much, I can match my pick speed with 3 fingers.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Stay picking near the bridge, my bassist just picked wherever and his tone sucked. Also, for chugging rhythm stuff try to only downpick because it sounds better. For any other type of music, learn how to alternate pick because it makes life easier.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Thanks for the advice.

I've noticed when I pick I get a scratchy sort of sound on my strings, will this be coming through the amp as well? (I can't really tell at the moment becuase I cant turn my amp up)

Also should I rest my hand directly on the bridge? It feels better for me to rest above it.
Last edited by Ripper_66 at Mar 22, 2008,
Playing with a pick does give a different sound.
Personaly i dont like it except for an occasional song.

Also i think witrh the proper technique (points at wooten) no pick is faster then fingers.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Mescalino
Playing with a pick does give a different sound.
Personaly i dont like it except for an occasional song.

Also i think witrh the proper technique (points at wooten) no pick is faster then fingers.

True but the only genre I'm really having trouble in terms of speed is metal a genre in which in my opinion a pick sounds good in.
Quote by Ripper_66
True but the only genre I'm really having trouble in terms of speed is metal a genre in which in my opinion a pick sounds good in.

True though it is offcourse a matter of taste, many metal bands play fingerstyle and many use the 'spider technique' which in my opinion is the fastest technique.

However if you like the pick sound then by all means use it. I also reccomend using it close to the bridge as this will alow you to play faster cause the strings don't vibrate that hard as when you pick near the neck.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Many bassists in metal use fingers. Steve Harris does and Cliff Burton did and that stuffs hard with a pick.

If you're gonna play metal pickstyle make damn sure you can gallop whilst picking, and that for fast stuff you can alternate pick going up and down strings. Closer to the bridge you are the better it will sound. Good songs you can try first are Newsted era metallica, then move into old cliff era stuff like Whiplash to perfect alternate picking (updown). For galloping look no further than Maiden.

Good luck.
I'm aware of "spider picking" but I don't really think It's really neccessery for me to learn it, I'm in an Indie/rock band in whch my fingers hold out just fine my metal playing probobly won't extend further then my own bedroom :P
Quote by Das_Skittles
Stay picking near the bridge, my bassist just picked wherever and his tone sucked. Also, for chugging rhythm stuff try to only downpick because it sounds better. For any other type of music, learn how to alternate pick because it makes life easier.

Hey, i'm not sure about this bit, certainly, it might be true for guitar, but upstrokes can feel more natural sometimes, and can sound more urgent and agressive, It's probably still a good idea to stick to all upstrokes or all downstrokes.
The only thing I can think of to add to the advice so far is to use a fairly thick pick, like 1.5mm or thicker (I like the 3mm dunlop big stubbies, although I also like the 1.5mm tortexes that my guitarist uses). I find that it helps keep a constant tone and is easier to play faster with. Also, I disagree with this whole "only downstrokes" thing. If you're playing with a pick to play faster, you need to alternate pick, otherwise you're literally cutting your speed in half.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."