I know people don't like the Spider Valve much more than a regular Spider amp. That the onboard effects are still supposed to sound fake....but does anyone know how they do with pedals like a Jekyl and Hyde or some other nice pedal?
I haven't heard one personally, but i've been told they sound quite nice. BUT there are better amps by the time you get into that price range.

I don't know their behavior with other pedals but i'm pretty sure they act just like all the other amps on the market when you plug an effects pedal in.
I think they sound significantly better than the solid state version. Especially if you have a good cab, you can find a halfway decent sound out of it. I will say, the effects are not the amp's strong point by any means, so one you're able to find a handful of raw sounds you like, pick up some pedals afterwards to give you the desired effects. Also, if you haven't actually bought it yet, the B-52 AT100 head is around the same price, maybe even 100 less if I'm not mistaken. You should definitely give that a try
Actually I just noticed some of the carvin amps have come down in price...like the V3 and the Legacy.
Quote by Roc327
I know people don't like the Spider Valve much more than a regular Spider amp. That the onboard effects are still supposed to sound fake....but does anyone know how they do with pedals like a Jekyl and Hyde or some other nice pedal?

The Spider Valve amps aren't bad at all, but they're nothing to go crazy about. It's basically a Spider III's preamp paired with a tube power amp section and Bogner's logo attached to it. I didn't try the amp out with pedals, I plugged straight in and sat with it for about an hour and a half one day (the 2x12 combo). I really didn't play around with the effects other than adding in a touch of reverb, I'm not big on effects. I still wouldn't put a distortion pedal in front of it. It'll sound ok, but a distortion pedal in front of a modeling amp never works out all that great. There has to be at least one sound you're happy with on the Spider Valve.