Well, the VOX AC15 doesn't have an effects loop... so now I'm wondering. Should I buy a preamp to put in front of my effects? And would it affect the sound in a bad way?

This is what i'm thinking..

Guitar > Rack Preamp > Distortion > EQ > VOX AC-15.
This would be using two preamps. One rack preamp, and one on the amp itself.
Would this be ok?
the distortion goes in between guitar and preamp. not after the preamp.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Some people do it to 'colour the sound of the amp' according the manual on my TC Electronic G-Major. It WILL affect the sound, but it is okay to do.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Will it affect the sound in a bad way? I'm just asking this because I've always heard you should have a preamp before your effects -- In an effects loop most commonly, but I'm unable to do that --
Well 'bad' is subjective right. It's all in how you tweak the knobs. I'm sure you'll find something you'll like. Unless you're using a completely horrible pre-amp.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Well I'd definitely get a good tube preamp. But, will it take away any of the original signal or anything like that? I guess that's what I'm wondering...Would I be better off returning the AC15 and getting something with an FX Loop?
First of all, a preamp on top of another preamp is going to sound muddy, not to mention you're looking to add a distortion pedal to the mix to make things even more muddy. The distortion from the preamp is not going to sound all that great in front of your amp. Why not sell the amp save the money you're thinking about putting towards a preamp, and buy a new amp that suits you.