Heya.
I'm looking forward to buy one of these but I've got one problem:
I don't know which version shall I choose and I can't find the differences beetween any of them anywhere.
As of yet there are 3 possibilites: RG2550 E, EX or Z.
What differs them? Is it only colour and bridge (in case of Z)?
And how does this new Edge Zero work?
Is it better than the ordinary one from previous versions or would it be better to stick to edge pro?
The E is the 2005 model, it comes with the Edge Pro bridge and dot inlays.
The Z is the 2008 model with Edge Zero bridge and shark fin inlays.
The EX was from 2007 and had shark fin inlays and the Edege Pro trem, though I am not quite sure because I cannot find the catalogue at the moment.

Seeing as the Edge Zero is a new bridge, I doubt anybody has too much experience with it, especially as a good tremolo does not were out easily and you obviously need time to find that out. But I expect it to be a high quality trem as Ibanez equipped the most expensive RG's with it.

EDIT: Because the E and EX are not produced anymore, you might have trouble finding one. The Z, on the other hand, can just be ordered from Ibanez.
Quote by Shadowy
Heya.
I'm looking forward to buy one of these but I've got one problem:
I don't know which version shall I choose and I can't find the differences beetween any of them anywhere.
As of yet there are 3 possibilites: RG2550 E, EX or Z.
What differs them? Is it only colour and bridge (in case of Z)?
And how does this new Edge Zero work?
Is it better than the ordinary one from previous versions or would it be better to stick to edge pro?

The Edge Zero is basically a combination of the ZR and the Edge Pro; essentially it's an Edge Pro with some of the features of the ZR:

It seems like a great bridge, but I haven't played one yet (although I have seen them in person, so they are available).

Rich from ibanezrules.com has a review on his site:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2008/hardware.htm#EZ
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I've heard that RG2550 is not a high-end'ish gear.
Could you give me your opinion about that issue?
I'd like to have non-full shredding guitar. I'd like to play something lighter sometimes aswell.
Does rg2550Z fit in this requirement?
Quote by Shadowy
I've heard that RG2550 is not a high-end'ish gear.
Could you give me your opinion about that issue?
I'd like to have non-full shredding guitar. I'd like to play something lighter sometimes aswell.
Does rg2550Z fit in this requirement?

I find the RGs to be pretty damn versatile.

As long as you like the neck and such, you should be set.

The RG2550Z is a Japanese Prestige, meaning it's at the upper end of the Ibanez range (I'm ignoring J. Custom here, as it's Japan-only).
+1 to Bonsaischaap.
The RG guitars are pretty versatile, it'll handle pop, rock and metal nicely, and it's not like it'll sound totally cr*ppy when it comes to other styles.
It is indeed an excellent instrument. Don't let the price tag fool you, it can hold it's own against way more expensive guitars.
the rg2550z and other version of that models are like ibanez jem's for like way less. it is practically a steal
Quote by ironman1478
the rg2550z and other version of that models are like ibanez jem's for like way less. it is practically a steal

Nah man, the jem has far better pickups (though the ones on the RG are good ones as well).
Quote by TheQuailman
Nah man, the jem has far better pickups (though the ones on the RG are good ones as well).

Finally someone who doesn't rip on the RGs stock pickups for no apparent reason.

The DiMarzio/IBZ pickups sound pretty nice and in terms of quality they're roughly on the same level as regular DiMarzio.
yeah but that is the main difference other than the inlays, and i think the neck is different on the jem, but you could swap the pickups for like some good sd's or something like that and it could be nearly the same thing
Quote by ironman1478
yeah but that is the main difference other than the inlays, and i think the neck is different on the jem, but you could swap the pickups for like some good sd's or something like that and it could be nearly the same thing

Jem7v:               RG2550Z:

-alder body         -basswood body
-DMZ Evolution      -DiMarzio/IBZ
-Edge Pro           -Edge Zero
-JEM neck           -Wizard Prestige neck
-unbound board      -bound fretboard
-retainer bar       -no retainer bar
-vine of life       -wedge sharktooth

They are similar, but not nearly the same
To me the main problem with Jems is that they look to much like a perfect guitar for woman: these leaves inlays on fretboard, white colour everywhere and shiny, golden decoration shimmering from everywhere :/.
Not for me......certainly not for my taste. (The only shiny decoration I could approve is black metallic xD).
I own the 2550E (the 2007 version with sharktooth inlays) and it's fantastic!, the Edge Pro is a very good bridge keeps in tune VERY well i maybe have to tune it like once every 1-2 weeks.
The pickups are just fine, good cleans and fine clear/un-muddy distortion(and i have played my guitar through a tube amp so i have heard their "true" sound )
The neck and fret access are also great, and you get a hardcase too
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Last edited by stebbic at Mar 22, 2008,
The RG2550E/EX/Z is a brilliant guitar. The stock pickups are pretty good; most people who say they are **** probably associate them with other Ibanez pickups like IFN or V (which IMO isn't that good but some people think otherwise).

Regarding the EZ trem, I've seen it in store but haven't had a shot on it yet.

To Bonsaischaap; I read the Ibanezrules.com link but I'm not sure about some things. It's quite a dumbass question but what part of the trem are studs, and what is the advantage of locking studs?
I guess it is quite a big difference beetween this Ibanez and Fender I currently own and try to sell.
Hope it's shredding features will allow me to play fast and confident eventually.
If not that means I need more training or else I was not born to play fast ...
^Practice makes perfect!

Also, don't expect to become 100% better just because you have a new guitar. You'll have to work just as hard, but I bet you'll be more motivated with a new guitar.
That's what I predict.
How do you train your speed on fretboard? Just play technically hard stuff?
When it comes to speed, accuracy is key. You will have to play at a speed that allows you to nail the notes perfectly. Start out REALLY (<=yep, it's that important) slowly and increase your playing speed if you feel comfortable. Many people just start playing fast and ignore their mistakes, thinking that they will eventually go away if they keep up the fast playing. THIS DOES NOT WORK. It will only lead to a sloppy technique and you not being able to play in time.
Also, buy a metronome or drum computer. Both are equally good, but drum computers are more fun to play along to.
Lately I've been trying "spiders" (1 3 5 and 1 3 4 on every string in every position) but I can't reach higher strings.

My hand just can't reach there: it is extremely uncomfortable in higher strings (probably fretboard's fault).
Hopefuly I will be able to try again with new Ib.
Thanks for help guys,
You'll get used to it with time, just keep trying. Your hands need time until they can stretch and span several frets, it's just natural.
Quote by Mwoit
The RG2550E/EX/Z is a brilliant guitar. The stock pickups are pretty good; most people who say they are **** probably associate them with other Ibanez pickups like IFN or V (which IMO isn't that good but some people think otherwise).

Regarding the EZ trem, I've seen it in store but haven't had a shot on it yet.

To Bonsaischaap; I read the Ibanezrules.com link but I'm not sure about some things. It's quite a dumbass question but what part of the trem are studs, and what is the advantage of locking studs?

This picture is really comming in handy, lately:

The locking studs:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/stud_mod_03.htm
The price of every electronical stuff and guitars is soooo killing me when comparised to USA ones...
You pay literaly 2 times less for every guitar I've checked up in your internet stores.
In fact I will have to pay 1600$ for that Ibanez while it costs you only 800-900 -.-.

Has anyone tried international shipping?
For that 1600$ I could buy myself something from S Prestige series....Maybe S2170FW ?

Nah...lets stick to 2550Z.

You know what? I've just discovered the bad thing about buying good guitars: they expose every bad note you play, every bad motion you put into strings.
You can't play so-so because it shows off everything.

Good for practising though xD.
Last edited by Shadowy at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by Shadowy
The price of every electronical stuff and guitars is soooo killing me when comparised to USA ones...
You pay literaly 2 times less for every guitar I've checked up in your internet stores.
In fact I will have to pay 1600$ for that Ibanez while it costs you only 800-900 -.-.

Has anyone tried international shipping?
For that 1600$ I could buy myself something from S Prestige series....Maybe S2170FW ?

Nah...lets stick to 2550Z.

You know what? I've just discovered the bad thing about buying good guitars: they expose every bad note you play, every bad motion you put into strings.
You can't play so-so because it shows off everything.

Good for practising though xD.

Guitars in the US are very cheap, but keep in mind there's no VAT on the tag, so you can add that in aswell.

ibanezrules.com ships internationally though and his setups are the stuff of legends.

By the way, if you're looking at the S, the new Japanese 24 fret S is about the same price as the 22 fret Korean ones.
How big is US tax?
In my country it is 22%.
On this page this Ibanez costs 1200$ while in internet shops it is listed for 900...
After summing up the shipping costs it will probably reach the same amount of cash as I have to pay in my country.

RG2620 which I wanted to buy aswell has got BLOWOUT tag. However it is not being produced since 08'.
Is it possible that they sell this model so well?
Last edited by Shadowy at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by Shadowy
How big is US tax?
In my country it is 22%.
On this page this Ibanez costs 1200$ while in internet shops it is listed for 900...
After summing up the shipping costs it will probably reach the same amount of cash as I have to pay in my country.

RG2620 which I wanted to buy aswell has got BLOWOUT tag. However it is not being produced since 08'.
Is it possible that they sell this model so well?

Well, the 1200$ is the list price.

This means that if you click the "your price $$$" button, you get the actual cost of the thing.

If you can't be arsed to click it, it's going to be around 1100; this might be 200$ higher than GC, but sites like Guitar Center and Musiciansfriend do not ship outside the US (and in some cases, Canada).

On top of that, Rich (the guy from Ibanezrules) puts a lot of work into the setups.

The blowout next to the RG2620 probably means that he's selling the last ones he has (for 875$). In terms of quality, it's equal to the RG2550Z, with the main differences being the trems (Edge Pro and Edge Zero respectively), the presence of a pickguard and the paintjobs.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 22, 2008,
I really like the looks of this paintjob and 2H system.
However it is not being produced and I'm interested in reason of that.
Maybe some major bug in wood or something...

Well, it seems I will be able to get a new gear from my family member in Chicago who will buy guitar there and send me it.
That means that my price variety has increased to 1600$ xD.
So what good Ibanez can you recommend in this price level?
Last edited by Shadowy at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by Shadowy
I really like the looks of this paintjob and 2H system.
However it is not being produced and I'm interested in reason of that.
Maybe some major bug in wood or something...

Well, it seems I will be able to get a new gear from my family member in Chicago who will buy guitar there and send me it.
That means that my price variety has increased to 1600$ xD.
So what good Ibanez can you recommend in this price level?

The reason why the RG2620 is no longer produced has nothing to do with quality; all the RG Prestige bolt on necks are exactly the same and so is the quality.

Ibanez just likes to offer different things, which also means that certain finishes or models are discontinued after a while.

If your budget has increased to 1600$, please keep in mind that you'll still have to pay for shipping and taxes. Not every instrument will be found by customs, but be prepared for this anyway.

If your countires tax rate is 22%, that would leave roughly 1300$ for the guitar and shipping.

In that range my absolute favorite is this:

The PGM301

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=1&TempID=2&DepartmentID=1&STRID=12222&CategorySubID=681&CategoryID=681&BrandID=1380&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true
http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=PGM301

It has Dimarzio pickups, a hardtail bridge and a maple board. If you ask me, this is the coolest Ibanez available in the current line up.

If you want a hardtail, but not the PGM, check these out:

The RGA121

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGA121-RGA-Prestige-Series-Electric-Guitar-103373593-i1275921.gc
http://ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=rga_prestige

It's basically a Prestige RG, but with an arched top and a fixed bridge.

If you're looking for a trem:

The S5470

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-S5470-Electric-Guitar-518112-i1392781.gc
http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S5470

Unlike the other S Prestige guitars, these have 24 frets and are made in Japan. They have a new type of Ibanez pickups and the ZR2 bridge.

The RG2550Z

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-Prestige-Series-RG2550Z-Electric-Guitar-515738-i1387319.gc
http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG2550Z

The 2550 is similar to the RG1570 (also a good option), but has a few perks like an Edge Zero trem, different finishes, DiMarzio/IBZ pickups (which are great), different inlays and a pickguard.

The RG2610Z

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG2610Z-Electric-Guitar-518069-i1389681.gc
http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG2610Z

If you like simplicity, this might be worth a look.

It has white binding, a single Seymour Duncan pickup and the Edge Zero bridge.

The bottom line is, you can't really go wrong with any of the Prestige Ibanez guitars. Just keep in mind that they're pretty much all the same quality, so in some cases you are paying extra for looks.

Also, just because sites like GC and MF are slightly cheaper, don't overlook Ibanezrules.

The guy also has some cool used stuff worth a look:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/used.htm#JPM

Besides, when you order from him, you'll know that the guitar will be in the best possible condition when you get it.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 23, 2008,
I've just realised that I've got half of my family in USA who will gladly help me to save up roughly 1500zł (800$) on guitar.
They will go to shop, buy it and send me for up to 40$.

PGM301 is the best looking one for me aswell, but I neeeeeeeed tremolo.
I love to have fun with it and play crazy notes, so I'd have to buy myself an Original Floyd Rose and have it replaced by luther.
That means 150-200$ for that operation.

2610Z has got only 1 pickup, so not enough for me.

After excluding all non-trem guitars all what is left is RG2550Z (my first candidate) and S5470.
As of yet I know everything about 2550Z (tons of reviews of different versions of this guitar) when S5470 is new model and hasn't got any review yet.
I'm also not sure about shredding capacity of S series.
RG is dedicated for fast playing but S seems to be wider and less comfortable to shred.
Are the neck dimensions same in both guitars? (I can't find good info on Ibanez's site-it must've been somehow deleted).
Quote by Shadowy

As of yet I know everything about 2550Z (tons of reviews of different versions of this guitar) when S5470 is new model and hasn't got any review yet.
I'm also not sure about shredding capacity of S series.
RG is dedicated for fast playing but S seems to be wider and less comfortable to shred.
Are the neck dimensions same in both guitars? (I can't find good info on Ibanez's site-it must've been somehow deleted).

The S should be perfect for shredding; I've seen Paul Gilbert playing one at a clinic and he seemed to get along with it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jml2odkJWQI

Here's him at the same clinic, but with the RG2550Z:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oJ_RpEQZmSY&feature=related

The S5470 should have the same Wizard Prestige neck as found on the RG2550.
How come I couldn't find the video on which P.Gilbert plays RG2550Z!
I've been searching through every video that contains 2550 (most crapy quality) and searcher didn't show me this!

Easy reason for this: new video simply.

As ordinary S5470 looks a bit boring the S5470BW is much better!
On the other hand there are still no opinions even about S5470.

I love the way PGM301 looks but getting a new bridge would be pain in the ase as every luther in my city takes lots of cash for even replacing keys and I don't think I'd be able to montage a Floyd Rose myself.
Last edited by Shadowy at Mar 25, 2008,