Page 1 of 5
Right, since we don't have one, and I believe they belong here more than the Prog rock forum.

Ayeron!
Progressive Metal project of Arjen Lucassen. All based around a continuing concept. A really, really, confusing one
Myspace Link
Wikipedia Link

Arjen basically writes everything and gets guest musicians to record it with him. He's worked with Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend Band), James LaBrie (Dream Theater), Simone Simons (Epica), Andi Deris (Helloween), Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden), Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth, Bloodbath), and tons more.

Great stuff.

Discuss the brilliance.
I would debate that this DOES belong in the Prog forum, but the only Prog band to really get any traffic in their is DT, and if Petrucci couldn't shred, they wouldn't be in their. Damn shred heads.

Great Stuff though.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Kinda meh-ish...

Loser and School are pretty good. Mainly because Devy is there. Labrie sounds like a fucking guyblow there too...
I give this guy mad props for the whole world he's created with these albums. He took concept albums to a completely different level.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I think there's a thread about them somewhere around the Metal forum. Anyways, I love 'em/him. My favorite album would have to be The Universal Migrator but really all their stuff is fantastic. Ayreon have also used Michael Romeo and Russel Allen of Symphony X on some tracks like "Dawn of a Million Souls" :P
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

i been getting into some ayreon stuff lately, i cant explain why i like it, cuz i think the lyrics are pretty cheesy, but i find it really enjoyable
I only have 2 Ayreon albums (01011001 and The Final Experiment) and for me, the songs are a bit hit and miss. But some of the stuff is excellent.

I'm sure they already hada thread here though... But it might have been just about 01011001 when it was about to be released.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Yea, the only thread was about the new album. So I figured, might aswel just have a thread for them.

I'm loving the dual vocal thing, with two characters "conversing". It's a brilliant concept aswel. Created an entire fucking universe....
Not my style but I can definitely appreciate the beautifully written music.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by Magero
Yea, the only thread was about the new album. So I figured, might aswel just have a thread for them.

I'm loving the dual vocal thing, with two characters "conversing". It's a brilliant concept aswel. Created an entire fucking universe....

Check out Avantasia too.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

I really love The Human Equation. I should definitely check out more albums, I'm leaning towards 01101119121252 or whatever it's called. Number sequences are hard to remember...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
I really love The Human Equation. I should definitely check out more albums, I'm leaning towards 01101119121252 or whatever it's called. Number sequences are hard to remember...

I actually don't have a problem remembering it once I took a second to actually look at the name and say it out loud.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Absolutely amazing band, definitely Metal (Don't know where the Prog Rock comes from ... never heard anything like this come from any 'Rock' ... ). Progressive Metal at it's best, is a good description.

I've listened to the Human Equation through, about 5 times since getting it (yes, I know that takes ages, but I did it anyway ). The use of Vocals & varying Instruments is pretty mind boggling if you sit back and think about it, but because it's done so professionally & in a seamless fashion, you sort of forget that

Just waiting on my copy of the newy w00ties!
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
Absolutely amazing band, definitely Metal (Don't know where the Prog Rock comes from ... never heard anything like this come from any 'Rock' ... ). Progressive Metal at it's best, is a good description.

They're definitely prog rock at some points. I'd never call Ayreon a prog rock band though, it's metal alright.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

With this band I was actually able to get a good friend of mine into Metal. Of course he listened to Dream Theater before but Ayreon kinda pushed him over the edge and he loves alot of Prog Metal now like Opeth, Symphony X, Orphaned Land etc...
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

I give this guy mad props for the whole world he's created with these albums. He took concept albums to a completely different level.
The only other band I can think of that does this with concept albums is Coheed and Cambria.

Fact: Isis and Osiris is one of the most underappreciated Ayreon songs ever.
Arjen is a superb composer and Ayreon is a bastion of conceptual progressive metal. I love how he can give songs such a cinematic feel (e.g. My House On Mars.)
Quote by Mr. President
Arjen is a superb composer and Ayreon is a bastion of conceptual progressive metal. I love how he can give songs such a cinematic feel (e.g. My House On Mars.)

Hell yes I love My House On Mars.

I get this weird feeling thinking about the whole story line of the concept album too.

Like the whole thing could actually happen.

01011001 is my favourite album at the moment. The only song I really can't stand to listen to is Web Of Lies. It just doesn't seem to fit in anywhere, and I reckon the album could have done without it.

Beneath The Waves FTW!
Quote by RedDeath9
Amazing band, but I only have The Human Equation and 01011001.

I've got 01011001, Human Equation, Electric Castle and Universal Migrator 1&2, and I have to say 01011001 is the best.

Into The Electric Castle just wasn't heavy enough, too much clean guitars, although it still beats Human Equation. Never really liked it, except for Loser and Hope.
I love ayreon, own every single album.

But not everything ayreon has put out was based on one single storyline. The Human Equation for one hasn't got anything to do with the extinction of the world.
i didnt like his last album much,although i might get into it with time
Wolv
Quote by soulflyV
I've got 01011001, Human Equation, Electric Castle and Universal Migrator 1&2, and I have to say 01011001 is the best.

Into The Electric Castle just wasn't heavy enough, too much clean guitars, although it still beats Human Equation. Never really liked it, except for Loser and Hope.

Really? I didn't really like 01011001 as much as THE.
I have 01011001 and it's great, but I thought Hansi was criminally underused and the "Man" tracks - 'connect the dots' in particular - were just over-full of "OLOL LOOK IT AM SET IN PRESENT TIMES OLOLOLOL" for my taste. I mean come on, do we need Ty Tabor singing about Macs and torrents to get that the concept relates to modern-day Earth?
^I definitely was let down by Hansi's role in the album, I thought there'd be more of him.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

IMO, Fear of a Blank Planet > 01011001 in terms of the "screw technology" message.

But both albums are amazing.
Quote by Magero
Except CAC suck

or perhaps, you suck CAC?
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

I didn't think Hansi was really good compared to the other singers on the album.

The singing about torrents and mac's is in a song about internet-relations, I don't see why that shouldn't be mentioned... it fits the theme.
Man, I love that guy.

First time I heard the outro to Day 20 of The Human Equation, I nearly creamed my pants.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by flamencogod
The singing about torrents and mac's is in a song about internet-relations, I don't see why that shouldn't be mentioned... it fits the theme.

Uh, no it's not. You're thinking of 'Web of Lies', I'm talking about 'Connect the Dots'.

But to be fair, "saw your pics/you're lookin' good" is just as lame as "the torrent flows into my lap".
Ayreon is awesome, I love the flute part in "Childhood"
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Quote by flamencogod
I love ayreon, own every single album.

But not everything ayreon has put out was based on one single storyline. The Human Equation for one hasn't got anything to do with the extinction of the world.

The entire situation in "The Human Equation" was manufactured by the Dream Sequencer.
*smug*
Quote by Danno13
Uh, no it's not. You're thinking of 'Web of Lies', I'm talking about 'Connect the Dots'.

But to be fair, "saw your pics/you're lookin' good" is just as lame as "the torrent flows into my lap".

oh, wait that's true. The whole torrents thingy gave me a link to the 'internet-relation song'. Anyway, ayreon fanboy that I am (just recently met Arjen who lives near me).
I think the lyrics are quite cool, although not dark or deep of whatever is expected from metalbands.

Quote by Magero
The entire situation in "The Human Equation" was manufactured by the Dream Sequencer.
*smug*

Are you serious of is this some great sarcasm?
Nope. Deadly serious.
It was all another experiment by "Forever" to test human emotions. I think the only 2 albums Ayreon have released that aren't part of the continuing story are "For Ayreonauts only" (cause it's all demo's and stuff) and "Actual Fantasy" (which is just lots of short stories).
Page 1 of 5