I'm in a band that's starting out and we've gathered a good amount of songs and band practice and has even had our first live show (it was only one song at a school talent show but we kicked ass nonetheless). I share lead duties with another guitarist (I'm also singer until we find a real one) there's also a rhythm guitarist a drummer and we're currently looking for a replacement bassist what songs should we play? we arent into really heavy stuff so no cannibal corpse and stuff like that

our practice runthroughs are:

Misirlou
Baba O'Riley
Cant Explain
Hey Joe
For Whom the Bell tolls
Nothing Else matters
One
Santeria
What I got
Sgt. Peppers
With a little help from my friends
Lucy in the sky with diamonds
Comfort Eagle
I'm the man

any suggestions?
judging by this list you'd think I didnt know a lot about what I'm doing but I know a lot about music but we're trying to stick with songs people might recognize.
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by Slinov
For whom the bell tolls or one.

EDIT:

Oh, you meant learn.

Erm...Whiskey on the Jar is quite catchy and should be able to get crowds joining in

thats awesome we live in a town with tons of Irish people that'd be perfect!!
Why would other people want to hear music thats not your own?
1. Its okay to cover one song at most.
2. PLAY YOUR OWN MUSIC!
Learn some Pink Floyd.

Challenging, catchy, fun to play, and almost everyone loves hearing Floyd tunes.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
Good choice on Comfort Eagle!

THE CAKE IS A LIE
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
The cover thing is cool, but do you guys have any originals? You should make some up if you don't have any.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Umm, you have someone to play synth and violin for Baba O' Riley....right?

EDIT: Good taste in music though , I would play the same
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by Just Andrew
Umm, you have someone to play synth and violin for Baba O' Riley....right?

EDIT: Good taste in music though , I would play the same

nope I know how to play the synth part on guitar

EDIT: getting a violinist is gonna be a bitch though
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by lunaticfringe93
nope I know how to play it on guitar
Hope that goes well, really sounds kind of crappy on guitar, when in comparison to a synth, I mean.

But if you want a suggestion, I say try "Five to One" by The Doors. You need a keyboard player though....
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by lunaticfringe93
thats awesome we live in a town with tons of Irish people that'd be perfect!!

Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, The Tossers, Welch Boys, Flatfoot 56, Real McKenzies, The Pubcrawlers, Blood and Whiskey, Social Distortion, The Briggs, The Pubcrawlers, U2 (lol), AC/DC...

Smash Mouth is fun to cover. Reel Big Fish. Metallica. Zeppelin. Bouncing Souls.
but then of course you need originals.

I guess it all depends where your gigs are gonna be... Bars, Resturaunts and such... use covers.
auctual shows you might want 1 cover and mostly originals
Quote by SkAsupafly
Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, The Tossers, Welch Boys, Flatfoot 56, Real McKenzies, The Pubcrawlers, Blood and Whiskey, Social Distortion, The Briggs, The Pubcrawlers, U2 (lol), AC/DC...

Smash Mouth is fun to cover. Reel Big Fish. Metallica. Zeppelin. Bouncing Souls.
but then of course you need originals.

I guess it all depends where your gigs are gonna be... Bars, Resturaunts and such... use covers.
auctual shows you might want 1 cover and mostly originals

with the exceptions of a few I'm not into most of those Irish bands but we might wind up covering a mighty mighty bosstones tune and some thin lizzy
Quote by Deliriumbassist
here's a novel idea... try writing your own stuff.

Exactly. Unless you want to be a cover band or plan on doing it later and using this a practice, write your own stuff. I mean, I've got a guy who doesn't know how to improvise and a drummer who almost only does speed metal, but we can still come up with stuff. Just write two of your own songs, at least and throw them in there.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Chris_Parker
Exactly. Unless you want to be a cover band or plan on doing it later and using this a practice, write your own stuff. I mean, I've got a guy who doesn't know how to improvise and a drummer who almost only does speed metal, but we can still come up with stuff. Just write two of your own songs, at least and throw them in there.

Thats about exactly what we're doing. We're saving songs for later I've got a couple chord progressions that I plan on making into full songs one day but for right now we're just playing what makes us happy and we always change the song up and write our own improvised solos to put in the song so its not like we're always gonna try and be carbon copies
I suggest you Rick Roll the audience, preferably start on one song then after the intro switch to that. The audience reaction is usually hillarious.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
only by anthrax if your band can master that song i'll come see ur show
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ