|---------------------------------------8--7--5---------------
|------------------------------------------------8--7--5------

|---------------------------------------------4--5--7--8------
|---------------------------------------5--6------------------
|------------------------------4--5--7------------------------
|------------------------6--7---------------------------------
|---------------5--7--8---------------------------------------
|------5--7--8------------------------------------------------

Whats a Good chord progression to play over that scale? its called the E Gypsy Scale by this siteHERE And i think it sounds pretty cool on its own but i cant find good chords
Quote by Unnamed Heroes
Isnt that the harmonic minor scale??

No clue, but it sounds like Gypsys to me when i play it tho, so im guessing there might be a few notes that are different.
Quote by Unnamed Heroes
Isnt that the harmonic minor scale??

yup
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by mikeman
That's A harmonic minor my friend. You can play an Am chord over it.

Alright then, i dont know why the Site said it was an E Scale. i was trying to play stuff in E over it, i guess thats why it didnt work very well
The chap from Avenged Sevenfold uses it a fair bit.
The Other, Other, Other North Devon Rock Band
Quote by Tubyboulin
Alright then, i dont know why the Site said it was an E Scale. i was trying to play stuff in E over it, i guess thats why it didnt work very well

Considering it starts and ends on A and definetly resolves to A, you can safely assume it's not an E scale.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
If that scale is played with E as the root it is E Phrygian Dominant - E F G# A B C D - 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7. Making a progression around E maj, F maj and D maj (though avoid C over the D maj or play C#) works well.
Wrong. The scale extends infinitely in both directions: what he tabbed out was only a selection of notes from it. We can assume that it is indeed A harmonic minor, but I'm just reinforcing that a bunch of numbers and lines has no "resolution".

I assume E gypsy is a mode of A harmonic minor?
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
play it over an E7 chord. Since it's a mode I wouldn't want to play it over a progression. Personally in a band situation I would just have my bass player drone an E note and play the notes over that.
Last edited by SOAD_freak777 at Mar 22, 2008,
^^^First actual answer to TS. TubyBoulin asked the RIGHT question. he didn't ask what scale this is...he asked what PROGRESSION should be played. THAT is what will make this into a E Gypsy scale. sorry for the caps. whoo...just woke up so tryin' to get the brain fired up - so we got E F G# A B C D E.(1,b2,3,4,5,b6,b7)<--someone check me on that....so.......forget it brains not there. Someone help this guy make this scale into an E Gypsy Scale!

I would think rock players just play it over Epower chords or like Emin or Emin7 like SOAD freak777 said - but someone figure out the chords to constructing a tonal progression.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
^^^First actual answer to TS. TubyBoulin asked the RIGHT question. he didn't ask what scale this is...he asked what PROGRESSION should be played. THAT is what will make this into a E Gypsy scale. sorry for the caps. whoo...just woke up so tryin' to get the brain fired up - so we got E F G# A B C D E.(1,b2,3,4,5,b6,b7)<--someone check me on that....so.......forget it brains not there. Someone help this guy make this scale into an E Gypsy Scale!

I would think rock players just play it over Epower chords or like Emin or Emin7 like SOAD freak777 said - but someone figure out the chords to constructing a tonal progression.

you obviously didn't click on my link

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
E F G# A B C D

I - E maj
II - F maj
iiiº - G# dim
iv - A min
vº - B dim
VI+ - C aug
vii - D min (Though I find D maj more useful here)

KryptNet, I did actually give an answer in my previous post.
Quote by metal4all
you obviously didn't click on my link
so you're saying a like Emaj - B(fullDim) progrssions? Idk - kinda weird to me - but again, I'm not familiar with "gypsy" stuff. I would think I would end up constructing an A harmonic minor progression from that link - just sayin.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
so you're saying a like Emaj - B(fullDim) progrssions? Idk - kinda weird to me - but again, I'm not familiar with "gypsy" stuff. I would think I would end up constructing an A harmonic minor progression from that link - just sayin.

the bold stuff made me lost.

it really is the A Harmonic Minor scale. that's why i posted the link. A lot of those scale sites post 3 different names of scales for the same scales just so they can say they have sooo many scales on their site. idk.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Evidently, it's the fifth mode of A harmonic minor. The chords of harmonic minor are

i | iiº | bIII+ | iv | V | bVI | viiº

Harmonic minor is often mixed with natural minor, but since this "gypsy scale" resolves to a different note, I wouldn't mix it with another mode. I guess you could borrow notes from E phrygian without it sounding too strange.
Alright thanks guys, ill try some of the Chords you Suggested ( A Quick Test with Am,C,G,D didnt sound to good ) Ill also take a look at that Thread Metal4All posted.

I Really do need to brush up on my theory haha
Quote by Eirien

KryptNet, I did actually give an answer in my previous post.
I totally missed that. My apologies. Listen to Eirien.

EDIT:
Quote by metal4all
the bold stuff made me lost.

it really is the A Harmonic Minor scale. that's why i posted the link. A lot of those scale sites post 3 different names of scales for the same scales just so they can say they have sooo many scales on their site. idk.
I was just making a quick "is this what I-V would be in Gypsy?" thing. I didn't make that clear. But Eiren had already posted a progression. Now it makes sense and with those chords it wouldn't be A harmonic minor. Tho it can be argued that it is some mode...I wouldn't call it that.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Mar 22, 2008,