Page 1 of 2
Seriously, does anyone out there even acctually own on of those behemoth 5000-10000$ guitars. Like why do companies even make them, there is no possible justification to selling a piece of wood and metal for that much. there is no way it sounds any nicer then say a 1000$ guitar. . .

http://www.privatereserveguitars.com/ESP-Kirk-Hammett-20th-Anniversary-KH-20-Electric-Guitar-512961-i1173867.guitars
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Kirk Hammet isn't even that great anyway.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
They're mainly made for collectors, but not all people that have them see them that way. I have a neighbor with 3 guitars that are welllllll over 5k, and he plays them regularly, and put strap locks and stuff on them; stuff I couldn't even imagine doing. When he told me he had to drill a little bit into his Private Stock PRS for the strap locks, I almost cried.
Quote by Twone_

And that's relevant how?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
wierd as it sounds, some people buy them as investments. i saw an article way back about les pauls being bought up by investors just to hold so that they'll increase in value. they were like 180,000+, vintage vintage ****
Quote by Twone_

judging by this guy's gear, and attitude, i can guarantee he's probably a fan of Joe Satriani.
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
They sound good, but not better than a quality player's guitar. They are usually limited runs with some famous name attached or a reproduction of a famous guitar for collectors. Many of those collectors, mind you, don't play.
It would be a great guitar.. maybe for 1 or 2 k :P WAY outta my price range. Strictly a collectors guitar.
A Kirk Hammett sig is one of the last guitars I would buy, let alone his 20th anniversary one for 10K.
Be cool.
Collector's items, mainly. Worst I've seen is the Van Halen Frankenstein guitar (looks like total ****) and it cost over $20,000.
If I had 5k, I would get an MIA strat and a custom carvin. And I would still have enough for a decent amp.
Quote by thedude051
A Kirk Hammett sig is one of the last guitars I would buy, let alone his 20th anniversary one for 10K.

You know, that is good for you. I definently would NEVER get a Slash signature.
I just can't see spending that much an a guitar. But guitar is my second hobby - the 442 cost me about 10 grand and is worth much more now. So I guess there are those that would collect vintage quality guitars as a primary hobby. But there would have t be an unbelievable amount of labor involved to drive the cost of a guitar that high.
Quote by Gregray88
You know, that is good for you. I definently would NEVER get a Slash signature.

Thats nice, because neither would I. Don't assume I want a Slash signature because I have him in my avatar...
Be cool.
Quote by Shredder Guitar
judging by this guy's gear, and attitude, i can guarantee he's probably a fan of Joe Satriani.

1. That doesn't make sense

2. You can "guarantee" that he's "probably"? Way to go.

TS: They're for collectors. That said, a typical custom guitar will cost $3500+, but I agree $5 to $10k is excessive.
Quote by Danno13

TS: They're for collectors. That said, a typical custom guitar will cost $3500+, but I agree $5 to $10k is excessive.

1. It does make sense.
2. That actually does make sense.
Be cool.
5-10k is a lot for a solidbody, high for an acoustic, and about standard for a good archtop acoustic.

Of course compared to some other instruments that's chump change. Guitarists have it lucky.
Quote by Nick_
5-10k is a lot for a solidbody, high for an acoustic, and about standard for a good archtop acoustic.

Of course compared to some other instruments that's chump change. Guitarists have it lucky.

thats true, i have friends with pianos that make my car look cheap..
Quote by Widow6
They're mainly made for collectors, but not all people that have them see them that way. I have a neighbor with 3 guitars that are welllllll over 5k, and he plays them regularly, and put strap locks and stuff on them; stuff I couldn't even imagine doing. When he told me he had to drill a little bit into his Private Stock PRS for the strap locks, I almost cried.

They are definitely not collectors items, they're meant to be played. More often than not if the guitar costs that much (and doesn't have some guy's name stamped on it) it' been made for a serious musician. Think of it like this we're willing to spend $10k-50k on a car so that we can (for the most part) get to and from our jobs. Essentially, without the car your can't earn any money. Now think of the people who earn their money thru music. They need a top of the line instrument so that their work will be at it's best. That insanely expensive instrument is making sure that they get a paycheck. From that perspective i think it makes sense that someone would spend such a large amount of money on a guitar. You would probably find the most expensive (non-collector's item) guitars in Jazz and Fusion i think. A lo of those musicians like to have their instruments custom built. Especially, from what i've seen, the bassists. Man of them own Fodera basses, which are notorious for their price and incredible quality.
Quote by Danno13

1. It kinda does make sense...
2. He can guarantee that this guy has more than a 50% chance of liking Joe Satriani which he can't due to the limitations of us mortals, but grammatically it makes sense. Gotta look at the words, man^^
That kirk hammett guitar is rediculous, because it isnt a good guitar (dont flame yet) Its just a bog standard guitar with a thin decrative veneer on the top, nice but not 10 grand.

I would how ever shell out for a PRS private stock for the same amount of money and get the most beutiful thing ever made. If I was rich...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
There's an exact replica of Brian Setzer's Gretsch (out of only 40 made) that's like 48k.

Eric Clapton's ES-335 (The red one with the White Skull/CrossBones, like in Guitar Hero) is like 23-25k, also in very limited quantities.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Twone_

First of that guitar is sweet but overpriced second Kirk Hammer is better then you so don't go saying crap that ain't true and I am guesing you have never heard the Master of Puppets album or Ride the Lightning I would put Kill em All in there but that was mostly Dave Muistane either way Kirk Hammet rules.
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
First of that guitar is sweet but overpriced second Kirk Hammer is better then you so don't go saying crap that ain't true and I am guesing you have never heard the Master of Puppets album or Ride the Lightning I would put Kill em All in there but that was mostly Dave Muistane either way Kirk Hammet rules.

Would this be a considered a run on sentence??
Be cool.
Quote by Shredder Guitar

Or he was taught by him?
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Guitar is a relatively cheap instrument. A top of the line PRS, or Jackson/ESP/Schecter/Fender custom shop instrument will only cost a max of £5-6000

Whereas if you play Piano, and you want a top of the line Steinway you'd need At least £15,000 for something pretty basic, and at least double that for something more fancy.

EDIT: Necronomicon, you beat me to it.

On topic: That price is stupid for that guitar, I'm sure an ESP custom shop would be cheaper.
Last edited by thedonutman at Mar 22, 2008,
For 10,000, you could get two decked out Carvins, a killer amp and effects rig, and still have enough to buy a van to tote it all around in!
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by Epic_Name
The ESP kamikaze 1 or however it's spelled is the way to go.

Hell no.
Be cool.
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin

I have every Metallica album.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
I've got a couple on order that are over the £5000 'milestone'. Technically speaking, if you want to convert my £2100 guitars (+ a few hundred £'s worth of mods each) to US $, those would be over $5000 too.

And for the record, yes, they do sound better than the one-grand guitars. They are also made better, look better, feel better...

That said, I would say my favourite guitar is a Kramer Jersey Star which only cost about £600 (I think they go for around a clean $1000 in America). That one cheap guitar beats the crap out of all my other, much more expensive ones. So... y'know. generally speaking, the more you pay, the better it gets, but there are the few odd exceptions to that.
Quote by thedonutman
Guitar is a relatively cheap instrument. A top of the line PRS, or Jackson/ESP/Schecter/Fender custom shop instrument will only cost a max of £5-6000

A PRS private stock can cost a whoooolllleeee lot more than £5k my friend

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
A PRS private stock can cost a whoooolllleeee lot more than £5k my friend

24k Gold inlays and purfling don't count

If we're talking about crazy expensive stuff like that, then we should have a look at Ritter Royals
http://www.ritter-royals.com/instruments-available.php

(I was actually talking about the PRS production series)
Quote by Gregray88
Collector's items, mainly. Worst I've seen is the Van Halen Frankenstein guitar (looks like total ****) and it cost over $20,000.

Wich he made from used parts, and i bet the original one didnt even pass 500$ total from all parts.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by thedonutman
24k Gold inlays and purfling don't count

If we're talking about crazy expensive stuff like that, then we should have a look at Ritter Royals
http://www.ritter-royals.com/instruments-available.php

(I was actually talking about the PRS production series)

There is no need to put jewelry on instruments
a couple of those look as deadly as some B.C. Rich's
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
when you're buying from the best luthier's the increase in price can make a world of difference.

There's a reason why the most famous classical guitarists all play guitars worth over 50,000 dollars... they're better than 1,000 dollar guitars.
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin

Kirk Hammer?
i hace a few guitars that are around $5000 range.

ive once had a original 58...
it woudve been around 250,000 now.
it was stolen in 1995.
[Gear]
1957 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom [gone ]
1958 Reissue Sunburst (Ice Tea)
1959 Reissue Sunburst (Cherry)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG
50th Anniversary CS Masterbuilt Strat

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
God Damn donut man! Some of those ritters are actually ugly as phuck! And Diamonds stuck to gold as control knobs?

But that blue halberd is soooo nice, gorgeous!

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Page 1 of 2