Page 1 of 2
Hey,
I know that by now, you are all probably sick of these threads, but I just have a slight dilemma that I would like opinions on.

On my birthday, I will be getting a few hundred bucks. I have always wanted a power attenuator for my amp, but another guitar would be nice too (I only have one). And, it'd be nice to have something with humbuckers for heavier styles of music or maybe jazz.
But, the attenuator would be nice for recording because it has a line out and such. And with a 50 watt tube amp, it gets LOUD before I get natural power tube breakup.

So essentially, should I get a Weber MASS attenuator or one of the $300-ish Agiles on rondomusic (i'll probably get one of the LP's, SG, or PRS copies)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Mar 22, 2008,
What is your current amp and guitar so we can say something useful?

ps change your signature, it is childish.
Well since you already have a guitar, I'd say go with an attenuator.

Single coils are fine unless you're playing really br00talz music.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Check my profile. It's a classic 50.
How is my sig childish exactly?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by laurens666
What is your current amp and guitar so we can say something useful?

ps change your signature, it is childish.

change your name, its childish
every 14 year old likes 666.
come up with something better n00b.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
^Thx Kool .

Anyways, back on topic... What should I do?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Thx Kool .

Anyways, back on topic... What should I do?

Personally, im kinda debating this too in a way.
I have a 'crappy' guitar by definition, but i like it.
Now im faced with getting a new guitar...
or xbox 360 and attenuator for my YCV50 blue so i can crank anywhere.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Rather than an attenuator, you could get an Epi VJ head for $130 or so and plug it into your Peavey's speakers. Plenty of power tube breakup at reasonable volumes. Great for recording. You could put the rest in the bank and save for an even better guitar.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Rather than an attenuator, you could get an Epi VJ head for $130 or so and plug it into your Peavey's speakers. Plenty of power tube breakup at reasonable volumes. Great for recording. You could put the rest in the bank and save for an even better guitar.

Slat's is always full of good advice. Plus, the head is $99, not even $130. And you put some new sweet tubes in there, and hear those puppies wail through your C50.
Quote by kool98769

Keep on playing games, little kid.
Quote by kool98769
change your name, its childish
every 14 year old likes 666.
come up with something better n00b.

plus the TRUE number of the beast is but 616.

you all get it wrong!
Quote by laurens666

You, sir, are a douche. You're not some sort of hardass for criticizing people over the internet. Get a life, little kid.

At any rate, I really couldn't help on the actual topic of this thread. However, it seems to me that Slats usually knows what he's talking about, so I'd listen to him.
Oh yeah... I completely forgot about Valve Juniors and Blackhearts.
Well, I was thinking of getting an attenuator because I REALLY like the tone of my c50 cranked. Epi VJ's and Blackheart LG's are kinda harsh and kinda thin to my ears when cranked, but my amp is chimey and articulate, and round. That's why I kind of wanted an attenuator so I can get power tube overdrive (from my amp) for small gigs and recording and practice (because I have tinnitus, I can't play too loud, and I shake the neighborhood with my amp on 7 out of 12).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I like Slat's idea, but I'd get the combo instead, so you can tote it around for small jams and such. I love having small amps laying around for that very reason. Add a 8 ohm output jack and get a speaker that can handle the lows at higher volume, and you're golden.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Check my profile. It's a classic 50.
How is my sig childish exactly?

Well, the self proclaimed wisest man, hero stuff got my attention. I.m really getting a fanbase between 16 year olds who seem to react everytime I post a comment like this. Keep em coming, guys

As for your question, I would look into a second hand guitar for that money. Perhaps one with active pick ups such as EMG's or Seymour Duncan (for rock/metal). As for the attenuator, also check out the THD Hotplate they seem to suck less tone than the Weber.
I would probably get a head, then build a little 1x12 cab.
That way, I could upgrade the speaker in the future (like a celestion alnico blue...mmm)
I am coming around on the EVJ idea too, I should get the head to get into modding.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Mar 22, 2008,
If I got the EVJ head, i'd probably pick up a little 1x12 cab to go with it. I didn't like the combo's speaker. And, I was thinking of getting an EVJ to get into modding too (could I mod it to have more low end when cranked?).
And yeah, you're wrong. Webers own the Hotplate because Weber MASS attenuators are speaker motor. I believe the hotplate is resistor?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I had the exact same dilema this week. But I've decided on an attenuator. In my opinion, if you plan on getting an attenuator eventually anyway. You may aswell get that.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by laurens666

lol.
is that the best you could come up with?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
That's what I was thinking too.
But, I just had another idea.
Well, the attenuator I plan on buying would be around 250 once I factor in shipping.
I was thinking of getting a pre-modded EVJ head for around the same price, which would mean that it would have been quite heavily modded beyond my skill.
Thoughts?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
That's what I was thinking too.
But, I just had another idea.
Well, the attenuator I plan on buying would be around 250 once I factor in shipping.
I was thinking of getting a pre-modded EVJ head for around the same price, which would mean that it would have been quite heavily modded beyond my skill.
Thoughts?

HMmmm
I'm not sure
the VJ is going to be more mobile, and nice for going to college (if you do)
and the attenuator would be nice, because you can use it on future amps too.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by darkarbiter7
If I got the EVJ head, i'd probably pick up a little 1x12 cab to go with it. I didn't like the combo's speaker. And, I was thinking of getting an EVJ to get into modding too (could I mod it to have more low end when cranked?).
And yeah, you're wrong. Webers own the Hotplate because Weber MASS attenuators are speaker motor. I believe the hotplate is resistor?

It's about the effect on tone, all I'm saying check them both out. Attenuators suck tone, thats for sure.
I think attenuaters are overatted; but that's just based on principle. If I'm going to roast the **** out of my tubes, my pants had better be flapping. If I want yummy OD at reasonable volume, I have a Valve Junior and a Champ for just that.
I'd go with the attenuator.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Well, webers are very transparent I hear.
Plus, i'd wait for the MASS III to come out (has a tone stack in the attenuator circuit), so it'd kind be an EQ also.
And, I won't be attenuating my amp all the way down, i'd crank the amp, then tweak it for live shows.
But, the Valve Junior would be a good idea too, because I could move it around. And I do plan on going to college.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by kool98769

and the attenuator would be nice, because you can use it on future amps too.

Wrong, if your future amp is an SS then it's worthless and it is also not very useful for most modern high gain tube amps.
^I don't play high gain.
And why would I crank an SS? (in the future though, I do plan on getting a jazz chorus for cleans)
Yeah, I could use it on future amps too, which may include a Twin Reverb Reissue once I get out of high school and get a job.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by laurens666
Wrong, if your future amp is an SS then it's worthless and it is also not very useful for most modern high gain tube amps.

I would have thought that that would have been pretty self explanatory, I mean why would you attenuate a SS amp? And could you also explain to me why it isn't useful to use on modern high gain valves?

Personally, I like the idea of having a VJ (or a Blackheart for that matter) to crank at low volumes. All I do is use my Cube 30 though.
^I think he thinks that it's less useful for high gain amps because most high gain stuff is mostly preamp gain. There are exceptions though.
I'm gonna go try out my friend's blackheart again to see if I'm sure I don't want one.
I just didn't like the sound as much as my current amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Epi VJ's and Blackheart LG's are kinda harsh and kinda thin to my ears when cranked, but my amp is chimey and articulate, and round.

The stock tubes flat out suck. Luckily, there's only two of them. I found an old Mullard EL84 and an RCA 12AX7 that I stuck in my VJ, and the tone was freakin' night and day. I know exactly what you mean by the harsh sound. Trust me, a solid set of tubes goes A LONG WAY towards clearing that right up. Replacing two tubes with top of the line stuff is still dirt cheap. Hit a radio show like I did, and get vintage stuff for even less.

I'd buy the base head and swap the tubes, then figure out which mods you're interested in and start doing them. If you think you have an interest in that sort of thing it seems silly to pay someone else to do it for you. Plus, not every mod is an improvement. Some of them are going to suck tone. That's why you want to pick and choose the ones you'll put to use.

Save the money you don't spend for the guitar you were thinking about, or something better. Or maybe drop a couple bucks on a nice pedal.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^Good idea. You're right, it's only two tubes. Does anyone know if I have to bias a VJ/LG? Or is it cathode/fixed bias? Once my friend swaps out his tubes in his LG, i'll check it out.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
No bias required.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Huzzah then. Easy tube change.
Thanks all!

I'm gonna have my friend replace his tubes in his LG with nice tubes, and see how I like it.
If I still think it's too harsh, i'll go for the attenuator.

Thanks all!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Huzzah then. Easy tube change.
Thanks all!

I'm gonna have my friend replace his tubes in his LG with nice tubes, and see how I like it.
If I still think it's too harsh, i'll go for the attenuator.

Thanks all!

If you want to get into modding, I would definitally reccomend the VJ over the LG. Simpler, easier to fiddle with. More room to be creative.

I'll vouch for how different tubes can really improve a small amp. My Champ 600 had unbranded Chinese 12AX7 and 6V6 tubes; I swapped them for a JAN Phillips 5751 and a Sovtek 6L6WXT+, and it's miles better. Shame the 6L6 is slowing killing the OT, but I want an excuse to put a nicer OT in that amp anyway!
To TS here's another cheap alternative: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Earwear-Earplugs?sku=429033

Quote by kool98769

Looks like you have a squier from profile so if that isn't so bad I'd go for the xbox 360.
^Well, if I like how his LG sounds, i'll get a VJ for modding purposes.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Well, if I like how his LG sounds, i'll get a VJ for modding purposes.

:/ They're different amps. The LG has a more elabourate tonestack, and some other circut differences I can't remember. Even with the same tube layout, they won't sound the same.
Page 1 of 2