I've been looking into getting a new guitar and I have some questions about ibanez's floyd rose trems.

Basicly I'm looking at either getting an RG1570 with the Edge Pro or a S series with the ZR trem.

I've heard good things about both, and i know the ZR uses ball bearings instead of knife edges but I'm just wondering, are there any major differances between the two? Which stays in tune better? which lasts longer? Which is easier to use?

Thanks
From what I've seen, the ZR has some very cool features. Instead of having to decrease spring tension with screws and all that junk, there is a knob that will automatically do it. As far as intonation goes, I've heard that the Edge Pro and ZR are both great. You've just gotta try them out and judge for yourself.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
Yeah, I have tried both and I like the ZR because its easy to use but it just seems like its not as sturdy as an Edge Pro. The only thing I really use trems for is wide vabratos and maybe a dive from time to time, I never really go crazy with it.

I'm just worried that the ZR trem is gonna wear out faster then an Edge pro
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
I'm just worried that the ZR trem is gonna wear out faster then an Edge pro

You can also adjust the tension of the tremolo itself with a ZR. And I don't think tremolos can wear out.
Trems wear out all the time, its usually more a problem with lower grade trems on cheaper guitars. (i.e. Edge III's and Licenced floyd rose's)

I'm just looking for a Trem that will last a long time and still retain its tuning stability.
Or I could just shell out $150 more bucks and get one of the new Edge Zero's but there isnt really any info on that yet
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Or I could just shell out $150 more bucks and get one of the new Edge Zero's but there isnt really any info on that yet

http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2008/hardware.htm#EZ

The RG2550Z, which to my knowledge is the cheapest with the EZ bridge, is an incredible instrument.

If you find the improved (or atleast different from the RG1570) looks, EZ bridge and DiMarzio/IBZ pickups nice features, why not go for it?

Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Trems wear out all the time, its usually more a problem with lower grade trems on cheaper guitars. (i.e. Edge III's and Licenced floyd rose's)

I'm just looking for a Trem that will last a long time and still retain its tuning stability.

Just a bit of information, but any trem not made by Floyd Rose is an LFR.

Thus making the Edge pro, other Edge bridges, Schallers, Gotohs, etc. all LFRs.

It are the cheap LFR bridges you should be looking out for, but being an LFR doesn't mean that it's junk.

Right, the Edge Pro is a perfectly fine bridge, which should last you for ages. I'm no ZR expert, but I can tell you (as far as you didn't know) that thanks to the ball bearings you have far less wear.

Since the ZR hasn't been out nearly as long as regular knife edge bridges, I can't really comment on the durability over long periods of use.

Quote by Twone_
From what I've seen, the ZR has some very cool features. Instead of having to decrease spring tension with screws and all that junk, there is a knob that will automatically do it. As far as intonation goes, I've heard that the Edge Pro and ZR are both great. You've just gotta try them out and judge for yourself.

One of the cool things with the ZR is the intonation tool, allowing for intonation adjustments without having to slacken the string.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
One of the cool things with the ZR is the intonation tool, allowing for intonation adjustments without having to slacken the string.

That's the spring tension thing I was talking about.
The ZR requires some oiling of the bearing once in a while, but that's all. I can't see how it can wear out...