GAH, i hate freaking threads like this that i know have been done a million times before but you never know how to search for them so whatever...

My band is preparing to start recording a full length CD. Right now we have garage band and Audicity and computer microphones. I understand that none of this stuff is really worth a crap so what do i need to get to:

1. Be able to do live recordings with my whole band, but have vocals and all the instruments on a different track so they can be edited individually.

2. Be able to do the same thing to record our live shows.

3. Have all of this stuff be good quality.

4. Be able to do all of this on a budget south of 5 or 6 hundred dollars.

Thanks for you help. And if there is a thread where you have allready anwsered these very questions just give me a link to it. No sense writing the same thing twice.

P.S. Our computer situation is fine.
well the only thing you need really,
new microphones
people wont ever let you live down one bad recording with ****ty mics
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
a good multi channel recording interface. something with usb or firewire. i'd recommend 8 channels minimum
Hah...

We can't get that budget raised any?

Do you have to record the studio tracks live?

Quote by viper_mike
a good multi channel recording interface. something with usb or firewire. i'd recommend 8 channels minimum

Yeah, I'd agree, but then there's the problem of mics... The interface is going to run him his entire budget.
Quote by viper_mike

So should we just get a mixer or an actual recording deal (crap i dont even know what you call them), one of the deals that says how many tracks you have.

Could somebody please give me a sugestion on what to buy. Our mics are shure 58s by the way.
Quote by Retribution
Hah...

We can't get that budget raised any?

Do you have to record the studio tracks live?

The budget could be higher we'll wait and raise money if we can't do it at the current budget. And about the studio tracks being live, whether they are or not they need to be a capable of being live if we wanna do live recordings, don't we? (Not a sarcastic comment I actually don't know.

I am in the same band BTW