I recently purchased the Zakk Wylde custom 81/85 EMG set and they have a pretty badass tone when I add distorstion... but i cant seem to find a good clean sound to them. What can I do to get a good clean tone???
Quote by MetalMilitia212
You bought EMGs.

and i own emg's lol

But yea Emg 60's can get pretty decent cleans, other then that you might have to do the 18v mod and lay off the volume. Also make sure your afterburner isnt on lol
Quote by chillage656
EMG

That's your problem.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
85 in neck gives decent cleans, not sure what all the people are bitching about. Active pickups weren't exactly designed for soft styles of music in the first place.
HA! shoulda looked into a little black label society tunage before buying those for both badass high gain distortion tones and cleans! the only clean sounding black label tune that stands out in my mind is Spoke In The Wheel, and he wasnt using emg's when that was recorded! when he plays it live he ****s around with the tone knobs so much that itd make a hookers head spin! god damn dude!
Quote by HeXeL
85 in neck gives decent cleans, not sure what all the people are bitching about. Active pickups weren't exactly designed for soft styles of music in the first place.

Exactly, besides you can get pretty nice cleans off of EMG's, you just gotta tweak it. It's made for metal, so you can't just switch to the neck and have it instantly clean, you have to play with amps/pedals/tone or volume knobs. What always works for me is to just turn the volume down a bit, and take the tone down to about a 7-8. Neck pickup of course. But this takes like all of 5 seconds if you're paralyzed, so it's not a problem.
My EMG 85 is good for cleans, and he doesn`t have an afterburner.... unless he added one.

Here`s what you do.... flip to the 85 put the volume on the guitar at 1/2 tone knob at 1/2 - 3/4`s

if you have a tube amp make sure you don`t have the gain all way to 10. (maxed) and you`l lget good cleans outta it.

But honestly EMG`s are ultra high gain, so cleans arn`t there high point, but there distortion is godly.

Congrats on your new pickups... I don`t think i`ll play any other pickup, my Nephew just bought a LTD EX-400 with the EMG 60/81 , loves them, i`m really liking the 60 too.
you need to put a 60 in the neck instead of the 85 if your wanting cleans. The 60 sounds better than the 85 with gain too IMO