i'm going to build a bass with a tremolo
what kind of wood do you think i should use?
Last edited by austinl94 at Mar 22, 2008,
I don't think you need a specific wood for a tremolo. Different woods give different tones, but it's irrelevant to a tremolo.
Do you allready posses the tremelo?
If not i am sorry to say that Kahler is the only factory i know that makes them and has stopped producing them. If you own a kayler tremelo bridge you can make big bucks as Les Clapool needs six for backup basses made by Carl Thompson.
You can read more about it on the Carl Thompson website.

As for wood depends a lot on the sound you want i guess
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Im pretty sure Kahler still makes em, it's all on their site, Kahlerusa.com
a while ago they made a 6 string bass w/ warwick that has a trem, just go to their site
i really didnt think they made tremelo's for bass guitars ive never seen one before
The Conservative youth of America!
i'm pretty sure that kahler still makes them
kahlerusa.com
hipshotproducts.com has them too
Wenge wood is the type Carl used on the latest bass for Les.
http://www.thewoodbox.com/data/wood/wengeinfo.htm

HMM as for kahler... odd i realy read an article, just cant find it anymore.. Anyways good theystill make them. I have allways wanted one maybe one day i will.
Almost 400 bucks, they dont come cheap.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Hipshot makes one too:

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=4

It's cheaper, but I'm sure the Kahler is of higher quality. Also, I believe Washburn made a bass with a whammy already on it, but I think they discontinued it recently. It was about $500 I think. It might be easier/cheaper to pick one of those up, even though I'm sure the quality isn't too great.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

the tremolos on hipshotproducts.com are like 250$
on ebay theres one for 160$ probably not the best though
Quote by Mescalino
Do you allready posses the tremelo?
If not i am sorry to say that Kahler is the only factory i know that makes them and has stopped producing them. If you own a kayler tremelo bridge you can make big bucks as Les Clapool needs six for backup basses made by Carl Thompson.
You can read more about it on the Carl Thompson website.

As for wood depends a lot on the sound you want i guess

Where on earth did you get your information? Kahler has been making them again for a while, AND Hipshot.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Quote by Asomodai
Where on earth did you get your information? Kahler has been making them again for a while, AND Hipshot.

I have begun to wonder that myself... I read that somewhere on the CT site but as i said i cant find it anymore. Maybe it was an old message that is now outdated and thus removed.

This is the article:
http://www.ctbasses.com/my.html

Yes it is a very old article. Sorry for the inconvenience.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
what could be more useless on a bass than a tremelo? maybe a locking nut? i would probably put a Pete Wentz sticker on my bass, before i would consider a tremelo. lol
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
what could be more useless on a bass than a tremelo? maybe a locking nut? i would probably put a Pete Wentz sticker on my bass, before i would consider a tremelo. lol

Then you obviously have never seen primus/Les Claypool live....
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Lefty7Stringer
a while ago they made a 6 string bass w/ warwick that has a trem, just go to their site
They've been making temolos for Basses for around 50 years.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Lefty7Stringer

Not sure if trems ever came standard with any Warwick moel, but it's certainly a custom shop option.
Frets won't matter with the trem. Whether it has them or not is preference for sound; if you want the fretless sound with a trem, go for it.
^2 full octaves, then an extra half step? Why?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
:stickpoke:
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
so i heard that the kahler hybrid tremolo for bass is a good one
has anyone tried it