Page 1 of 2
good amp. but then again i wouldnt be as motivated to play if i had a crappy guitar.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Guitar. At least you can still play. What can you do with just an amp?
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Amp good amp you could still pool good **** of with a crap guitar or a descent one on a good amp
But try playing a 1958 gibson trough a squire starter amp and your ****ed it dosent work the other way around
Quote by T.Rextacy
Guitar. At least you can still play. What can you do with just an amp?

read the first post.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Guitar. I normally play unamplified anyway. I see it as you are playing guitar, not playing an amp.

*coming from a guy with a 10W mg.*
Amp. AMP AMP AMP AMP AMP.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Amp, even with a not so good guitar you can get a good tone. Like an Ibanez RG321 through a Mesa Mark IV is still going to sound pretty damn awesome
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
All depends on where you are as far as your experience goes playing guitar. Newbies, a decent guitar because you can get pretty frustrated playing a high action piece of crap.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
guitar IMO playablilty>tone.

I can get better a sound out of a good guitar and a mediocre amp than i can with a crap guitar and good amp.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Both

Actually I tried my ****ty guitar (before I modded it) through a tube amp and it sounded like crap still lol
Guitar.

As long as it's acoustic.

SHA-POW. I win the logic war.

But seriously, the amp option.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
Guitar.

As long as it's acoustic.

SHA-POW. I win the logic war.

But seriously, the amp option.

LOL

You wouldnt need an amp for an acoustic guitar right...
amp!
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
Quote by ooder the cow
Guitar. I normally play unamplified anyway. I see it as you are playing guitar, not playing an amp.

*coming from a guy with a 10W mg.*

You said it numbnuts. You play through an MG, so what would you know about tone.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
guitar IMO playablilty>tone.

I can get better a sound out of a good guitar and a mediocre amp than i can with a crap guitar and good amp.

Yay for you and your backwardsness. I wish I could get a good tone with a good guitar and a crap amp.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Yay for you and your backwardsness. I wish I could get a good tone with a good guitar and a crap amp.

I never said good tone, I just said a good overall sound, you're going to sound like crap no matter how good your amp is if you keep going out of tune and have bad intonation, nor will you sound good with fret buzz. You would also have a lot of problems playing well with an uncomfortably high action and razor sharp frets.

I've seen a lot of tone nazis try to prove that you can use a super crappy guitar and get good tone with a good amp, half the time they achieve OK tone, but their playing suffers for it. Saying "sorry I keep going out of tune but check out my EPIK TUBE TONE" doesn't go over too well with audiences.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 22, 2008,
depends on the guitar.
If you like the way your guitar feels, new amp.
if you hate your guitar, new guitar.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Guitar all the way, a Guitar will motivate a noobie player then a amp, unless said amp was a 100 watt tube 1/2 stack LOL

but ya a guitar, then when you can play some stuff upgrade your amp.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I never said good tone, I just said a good overall sound, you're going to sound like crap no matter how good your amp is if you keep going out of tune and have bad intonation, nor will you sound good with fret buzz. You would also have a lot of problems playing well with an uncomfortably high action and razor sharp frets.

I've seen a lot of tone nazis try to prove that you can use a super crappy guitar and get good tone with a good amp, half the time they achieve OK tone, but their playing suffers for it. Saying "sorry I keep going out of tune but check out my EPIK TUBE TONE" doesn't go over too well with audiences.

EVH and VH1 would be a good example of a crappy guitar and a great amp producing "EPIK TUBE TONE" . Have you ever seen the guitar he used for that album?

the strings don't even look like they line up on the fretboard right, lol
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 22, 2008,
Amp... A cheap *modified* starter guitar can do the job for a while.
It really depends on the range.

****ty guitar + awesome amp = mediocre tone with sloppy playing

****ty amp + awesome guitar = crappy tone but less sloppy

decent guitar + nice amp = frickin amazing guitar = decent amp

So ya go with a sweet amp if you can also afford a decently good guitar.
Quote by Cofflecakes
Quote by laurens666
Use the search button.
Thats the worst metal amp I've ever used...

lol
good amp.... amp makes almost 80% of the over all sound your touch and your guitar are maybe 30% of your overall sound..... now given you wouldent sound like clapton playin on a 59 bassman with a squire but you would still sound pritty good
both. if you have enough for a good amp, you probably have enough for a decent guitar and decent amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Eric clapton could take blackie and plug it into a marshall MG and sound like crap. A crappy amp will make you sound crappy. A crappy guitar to a GOOD amp will be fine sounding. It is more about playability with guitars. What is your budget?
Quote by Valek Williams
What would you prefer?

Good amp and a not so good guitar

or

Good guitar and a not so good amp

Good guitar and borrow someone elses good amp
Quote by Erock503
EVH and VH1 would be a good example of a crappy guitar and a great amp producing "EPIK TUBE TONE" . Have you ever seen the guitar he used for that album?

the strings don't even look like they line up on the fretboard right, lol

Yeah I've seen the guitar, but just because it looks like a POS doesn't mean it plays like a POS. and also where talking about EVH, who isn't the average guitar player either.

Last.fm
Depends on what you need to achieve and how good a player you really are. If you are playing in a band then you really need a decent amp to gig with but could use say an EPI G400 for a guitar. If you are a home player and have to play while the rest of the family watches TV in the next room then a real nice guitar some decent effects and a small epi valve jr may be better or a pod and a pair of decent headphones. I play through a Boss micro br and a pair of head phones when my wife and kids are at home. It's great way to practise and record myself at the same time. When you record yourself you get to hear what you really played and whether you were really in time.
amperage amperage amperage! AMP is way more important
Im not a pro, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night
an amazing guitar will boost your motivation to play.. or atleast it did for me. i just have practice amps now but i'm perfectly fine with it. i'm in the process of getting a new tube amp but the amp can definitely wait. if you're like me and you keep your guitars on display on the wall then i would get a nice guitar.
Erm... if you get the amp eventually you have to get a good guitar. IMO Good guitar is better because a crappy amp can be used as a practice amp! Yeah... it's so much better to play a good guitar. You get what you pay for! Get a guitar and you will love it forever!
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
Quote by SRV59
good amp.... amp makes almost 80% of the over all sound your touch and your guitar are maybe 30% of your overall sound..... now given you wouldent sound like clapton playin on a 59 bassman with a squire but you would still sound pritty good

yeh coz 80 and 30 really equals 100

TS: I've got a medium range guitar and a shitty amp. Now im saving for a new amp coz i got sick of the crap tone. On the other hand i find my guitar very comfortable and very easy to play so....

its really up to you
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

For a starter, I much rather a great guitar and a crap amp.

Sure it won't sound good, but at least you'll feel that your guitar isn't fighting against you when you play.

Honestly, I'd rather a good guitar. You play the guitar, you don't play with the amp. The guitar is the medium for you to translate the thoughts in your head into something others can hear.

Skills > tone IMO.

An awesome player playing with feeling, skills and developed technique through a cheapo practice amp would be so much better than a n00ber chugging out 3 chords on a Bogner Uberschall.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well, most likely amp, for 2 reasons: 1, the tone :-P 2, guitars are usually cheaper than amps, so buying a really nice guitar on my own is a cheaper route than buying a nice amp on my own. However, if the bad guitar/good amp had a guitar that was so terrible that it severely affected my playing, I would pick the good guitar.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Page 1 of 2