Hello UG, I'm a newcomer so forgive me for my naivity as I try and take in all the wealth of info provided here! I've been browsing through the forums and there seems to be mixed receptions regarding the installation of a floyd rose bridge combined with sperzel locking tuners.

I have an Ibanez EX1500, and since these guitars do not come with a floyd rose bridge, they have a standard nut opposed to a locking one. I was curious to know, would it work just to simply install a floyd rose bridge and sperzel locking tuners without bothering with a locking nut? Furthermore, would I need to replace the nut to account for this, and if I was to do that, is it worth it just to replace the nut with either graphite or rolling when I could just replace it altogether with the locking nut and not bother with the tuners? I'm trying to take cost of work on the neck and bridge into consideration here as well, and so a comparative answer would definitely be much appreciated!
ive seen it done on carvins and i think it would work fine

Also John Petruccis musicman has a floyd rose style bridge and only has locking tuners
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
if you have locking tuners, any trem will work fine, 'cause the concept of a floyd rose, is that the guitar doesn't go out of tune
^ what he said

Get a graph tech nut and you'll be good to go

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
The only thing I'd worry about w/o the locking nut is the strings popping out of the nut if you do a hard dive. I had this happen a couple times on a Strat-style trem. Granted, the nut on the guitar was pretty loose to start with.
Quote by Teh GIR
ive seen it done on carvins and i think it would work fine

Also John Petruccis musicman has a floyd rose style bridge and only has locking tuners

It has a floating trem, MusicMan Style, not a Floyd Rose Bridge.

Yes, you could use Locking Tuners or even a behind the nut lock like the USA Kahler's & Washburn Wonderbars.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by uRizen
The only thing I'd worry about w/o the locking nut is the strings popping out of the nut if you do a hard dive. I had this happen a couple times on a Strat-style trem. Granted, the nut on the guitar was pretty loose to start with.

Yeah, this is a problem. You really need some way to hold them down.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
Yeah, this is a problem. You really need some way to hold them down.

A locking nut
My carvin Works perfect like that. But the headstock is tilted back. If you have a inline 6 headstock with string tree's. I would think it could get alittle messy. If not its the way to go bro. BTW check it out its the link in my signiture
What if you added one of those tension bars they use on the Ibanez inlines? I never saw the point of them sitting behind a locking nut, but in the OP's situation it might help (although it may also cause some unwanted binding at the nut if it's cranked down too much.)

Quote by Thirtythr33
I always thought they were for bending the strings over the nut to keep them from raising when you locked the strings down?

Either way, you still get added tension on the nut.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Yeah I never really tried messing with the Ibanez guitars setups, But the my jackson gos high everytime. Even with the tilt back headstock. The angle is not that steap. Thats why Carvin, and Jackson make tilt back necks to keep tension on the nut. No reason for string trees. My SE don't have them either, but its 3+3. It doesn't stay in tune to well when I dive bomb I never have had my strings slip out on the Carvin. It's a pretty solid design
Last edited by Thirtythr33 at Mar 23, 2008,