i have the rock disipline book and i am doing it step by step doing one page at a time mastering it and moving on. Anyways i am at the metranome part and i cant figure out a way to subdivide the clicks so i can plan 2 notes per beat and 3 etc. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice should i go slower because i have the rock disipline book and Petruci said that you should start off at 66 bpm but i dont no how to keep up with how many notes i am playing per beat. Gah this is confusing!!!!!
Set your metronome to 66 bpm and play one note per click. Simple enough.

If it's eighth notes, play two notes per click. Sixteenths, four notes per click. And so on.
but i mean i cant keep count like i dont no if i am doing three notes per click when i want to do four. I no this sounds retarted mostly because i am but yeah its confusing what do you guys do to keep up with how many your playing per click
Quote by Danno13
Set your metronome to 66 bpm and play one note per click. Simple enough.

If it's eighth notes, play two notes per click. Sixteenths, four notes per click. And so on.

that's if you're in 4/4, 3/4, 2/4 or a similar time signature, but if you're in, say 6/8 then you play a dotted quarter note per beat (quarter note lasting an extra half more) but if you see eigth notes then you play 3 per beat, same goes for something like 12/8 or something like that
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Count 1,2,3,4. 4 should be on the beat if you're in 4/4, change the number you count to for other timings.
well, in that case think of this: if you're in 4/4 (common) time then there's one quarter note in each beat, so when you count it would be something like "one, two, three, four, one, two, three, four" etc if you're playing eight notes then count like "one, and, two, and, three, and, four, and, one, and, two, and, three, and, four, and" etc and place one eight note on each of the words, (try tapping your foot and hitting each number when your foot hits the floor and the 'ands' when your foot reaches the top before goin back down for the next tap) and from there just divide the notes accordingly
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp

Quote by Mechanix

^
btw, you should probably take this question to the musician talk forum
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp

Quote by Mechanix

^
that helps a little and have any of you guys used rock disipline before and if so how long did it take to see you speed and accuracy increase srry to ask but i am anxious

Quote by Jastul
well, in that case think of this: if you're in 4/4 (common) time then there's one quarter note in each beat, so when you count it would be something like "one, two, three, four, one, two, three, four" etc if you're playing eight notes then count like "one, and, two, and, three, and, four, and, one, and, two, and, three, and, four, and" etc and place one eight note on each of the words, (try tapping your foot and hitting each number when your foot hits the floor and the 'ands' when your foot reaches the top before goin back down for the next tap) and from there just divide the notes accordingly

this. count it out in your head. 1-2-3-4 or 1-and-2-and-3-and-4 or 1-and-the-2-and-the-3-and-the-4-and the or 1-and-then-a-2-and-then-a-3-and-then-a-4-and-then-a depending on how many notes you need to play in each beat. then, build up the speed. before long you'll just be able to do the 1-2-3-4.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
If you're doing quarter notes then you just count 1 2 3 4, eighth notes are 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, sixteenths are 1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a. Eighth note triplets you should think of a 3 syllable word and do something like straw ber ry straw ber ry
Quote by the_miller69
If you're doing quarter notes then you just count 1 2 3 4, eighth notes are 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, sixteenths are 1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a. Eighth note triplets you should think of a 3 syllable word and do something like straw ber ry straw ber ry

or tri pe let, tri pe let