I have a question about the 2nd guitar solo in Master of Puppets. At 5:51 there is a really high squeal that sounds like a pinch harmonic. I have a tab (below) that says you need to bend the string off the neck and fret it against the pickup. I've tried figuring this out but I can't seem to get anything close to the recording. I know you have to use the tremolo arm to get the dipping sound but the rest of it I can't get. If anybody could give me a better explanation to how this is done it would be greatly received.
Attachments:
master.JPG
Last edited by mz44_d at Mar 22, 2008,
I think you drag the string off the fretboard, make it hit the pickup and then drag it back in
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Pinch harmonic on the 4th fret, b-string (Be sure to utilise your whammy bar if you have one.)

I tried that and it does sound good...I just pisses me off that I can't figure out/do what the tab book says.
I bend the string off the neck and that raises the pitch because its being bent. But doing that doesn't lower it onto the pickup, and actually fretting the string against the pickup just mutes the string. lol Fretting is in quotations, so I assume they don't mean fretting it with your finger anyway..
Doing it the exact same way he did it quite dificult.

In fact, he says he never was able to recreate it.

After raising the d string, it got caught under one of the pick ups, so the pick up was fretting the ntoe.

The best way to recreate it is by using a pinch harmonic on the 4th fret of the d string (and bending it, obviously).
I learned this a while back. I used a magnetic-spiked bracelet hit about the 30th fret with it. (where it would be) while fingering the 13th fret, drug it down with the tremolo bar and returned at probably a 3 1/2 step axis while touching the same harmonic spot around the pickups with the magnetic bracelet.

Just so you know though, Hammett doesn't know exactly what he did himself. He uses a harmonic on the high e when playing live.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Quote by Tom-sawyer
Doing it the exact same way he did it quite dificult.

In fact, he says he never was able to recreate it.

After raising the d string, it got caught under one of the pick ups, so the pick up was fretting the ntoe.

The best way to recreate it is by using a pinch harmonic on the 4th fret of the d string (and bending it, obviously).

... 0.0 okay, that makes me feel better. Thanks a lot for the info everybody.
OR you can play --23-23-23-24-24-24-- on the high e srting.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X