ok...for science (grade 9 science) were doing electricity right now, charging by induction...and i need to know:

in a metalleaf/goldleaf electroscope, that is initially neutral, when i place a grounding conductor (like a finger, or a wire connected to the ground) on it, and then APPROACH (not touch) the metal ball with a POSITIVE object, then take away both the grounding wire/conductor, and the positive obeject, what charge is permanently induced onto the electroscope?
i know that if the obeject is NEGATIVE, the charge will be positive, because electrons are repelled into the grounding wire, and conducted into the earth, leaving the electroscope positive. when i take both of them away, the electroscope will be cut off from any sources of electrons, thus remaining positive. but if the obeject IS POSITIVE, can electrons be sucked out of the earth into the electroscope, making the electroscope
Anyone play gunbound? then add johnny93

....you must tap into: THE FORCE!
....or: THE FORCE! will leave you
....then, you will no longer have: THE FORCE!
A positive charge should be induced.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Negative, you dummies. If the metal ball is positive then it'll attract electrons from the earth into the gold leaf. When the earthing wire and ball are removed the electrons'll be trapped.

EDIT: To clarify, because your initial post was badly worded. You've got an earthed goldleaf electroscope, you put a positive metal ball near it, then remove the earth wire and remove the ball, and you want to know what charge is on the goldleaf?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Last edited by Yakult at Mar 22, 2008,
A possitive charge should be induced
argh goddamnit i was going for the amazing triple response effect
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Quote by Yakult
Negative, you dummies. If the metal ball is positive then it'll attract electrons from the earth into the gold leaf. When the earthing wire and ball are removed the electrons'll be trapped.

It is initially neutral though.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
It is initially neutral though.

... So?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
... So?

Whoops. Forgot that the Earth is one big electron sink.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
A positive charge shouldn't not be induced.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Wooopash, and the Yakman wins again!

University level physics FTW!
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Wooopash, and the Yakman wins again!

University level physics FTW!

/\

Is there any particular reason you're being a c*nt, or are you going through the menopause?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
/\

Hmm... You have raised an interesting alternative hypothesis as to his motives. Perhaps, instead of being a sarcastic attempt at ridicule, it was indeed a gesture of good will and friendly intentions. If the latter is true, then I retract my previous post.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
ok lol what the heck. but so it's positive? yeah it's a grounded goldleaf electroscope, with a positive object NEAR it, then it is ungrounded and the positive object is removed. so that would be negative right? beacuse electrons are attracted into the electroscope by the attraction of the positive object.

but see..are electrons able to go OUT of the earth? or just into the earth...cuz that means if i were to appraoch something positive, electrons would jump through me like everytime...and i would like get shocked nonstop...that doenst happen though does it?
Anyone play gunbound? then add johnny93

....you must tap into: THE FORCE!
....or: THE FORCE! will leave you
....then, you will no longer have: THE FORCE!