With E as root: E Bb D Ab B# Gb

It's not a "guess the chord" - I'm genuinely confused. How would you write it? like E?? What the hell would be its application?
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
...That's not a chord.

The Bb is a diminished 5th. The D is a minor or diminished 7th. The Ab is the 3rd. The Gb is a minor 3rd. It's just a bunch of random notes that sound really bad, together.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
D7add13/E i think..?

Edit: actually now tht i think of it...it'll be a A#11 chord with the F raised to F#, which is wtf???
Last edited by dead hate at Mar 22, 2008,
Well, for starters, B# isn't a note, and it can't even be used in the key of the chord as there is already a Bb in there, so the chord is E Bb D Ab C Gb, which means it has

E, b5, major 7th, major 10th, minor 6th (or dimished 6th, not sure though I think that would actually be Cb) and major 16th.

I have no idea how that'd be written though, it is, however, a chord Haha, Crackhead. Just because it sounds terrible doesn't mean it isn't a chord.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
Well, for starters, B# isn't a note, and it can't even be used in the key of the chord as there is already a Bb in there, so the chord is E Bb D Ab C Gb, which means it has

E, b5, major 7th, major 10th, minor 6th (or dimished 6th, not sure though I think that would actually be Cb) and major 16th.

I have no idea how that'd be written though.

B# is a note, but it happens to be the wrong note for whatever key the TS is in right now.
Quote by ouchies
B# is a note, but it happens to be the wrong note for whatever key the TS is in right now.

Yeah that's what I meant. You can't use the B# in that chord.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
E.
Its the root note, so thats the chord.

Edit:
A B# is a note, its just a C
Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

Quote by #1 synth
i figure as long as its not a puppy it's fair game for my penis.
Quote by porchmonkey4lif
E.
Its the root note, so thats the chord.

So you're saying that chord is just E? E major?
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Could be inverted and E another note of the chord... or it could be another chord with E acting as bass note this meaning a slash chord.

I dunno which though.
What you have there is three tritones each a wholestep apart. Out of context, I'd call that wholetone harmony and therefore, named for convenience after the root, an E7#5.
First of all, this is what was really bothering me. (I'm the TS) - The inclusion of a b5 and #5 doesn't make any sense for me...but it should be a chord and not just a cluster of chromatic notes. So yes, the B# had to be C(6th which in this case makes less sense then a B# imo)...but I just couldn't figure it out. It is theoretically a chord...man I'm going to have to think about this...

EDIT: whoo, thx again Nick...I'll have to think about that for a sec.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Mar 22, 2008,
This is every note of the E whole-tone scale played as a chord. The name of it would be X9b5#5, where X is any note in the chord. Possible voicings:

e-4--6--8--10--12--14--------------
B-3--5--7--9---11--13--------------
G-3--5--7--9---11--13-------------
D-2--4--6--8---10--12-------------
A-3--5--7--9---11--13-------------
E-2--4--6--8---10--12-------------
very cool guyz thx, so hows about(staying with root E) an E7add9b5#5? Oh man is that weird. I gotta figure out a way to use this just to throw a wrench in people's ears.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
very cool guyz thx, so hows about(staying with root E) an E7add9b5#5? Oh man is that weird. I gotta figure out a way to use this just to throw a wrench in people's ears.

On a lead sheet 7#5 should be sufficient to convey the chord. Naming it further is pointless because at that point of specificity you should just write out the voicing.

Also note that it's 5 other 7#5 chords in inversion as well.
I'd write it as:

E Bb D G# C F#

What we have here is E7b5
E Bb D G#

C is a flat 6, and F# is a 9.
E7b5b6add9 perhaps?

I'm not even close to an expert on chord nomenclature, just a guess.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Nick_
On a lead sheet 7#5 should be sufficient to convey the chord. Naming it further is pointless because at that point of specificity you should just write out the voicing.

Also note that it's 5 other 7#5 chords in inversion as well.
I mean you're right...I agree it's most like a x7#5 chord after you mentioned it. But theoretically they're must be a "correct" way of writing out the chord to specify what voicing the composer would want...so this is now purely a question of curiosity in what the most standard chord annotation would be for an un-standard voicing. if that makes any sense
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
E Bb D Ab B# Gb

Root,b5,b7 Ab=G# 3,b13,Gb=F# 9

so R,3,b5,b7,9,b13

E dominant 9th flat 5,flat 13
Damien Redmond - "Grade 8 electric guitar" -"Grade 5 theory "
"Licentiate Diploma of the London college of music "
Quote by KryptNet
I mean you're right...I agree it's most like a x7#5 chord after you mentioned it. But theoretically they're must be a "correct" way of writing out the chord to specify what voicing the composer would want...so this is now purely a question of curiosity in what the most standard chord annotation would be for an un-standard voicing. if that makes any sense

If you have a specific voicing you want to convey, write it out on a staff. You'll see this in a real book for songs like So What where the exact voicing is a critical part of the song's sound. Otherwise, if you intend to merely specify the harmony, a condensed symbol (by Levine's reference, 7#5 means wholetone means the entire 9b5#5 chord ... of course this certainly might appear on a lead sheet where an altered chord is intended, same with 7b9 chords, which don't always mean diminished. Use your ears) is usually fine.

Hell if you write it out in a way that makes sense I'm sure people will understand what you mean. But at a certain point, staff and notes work best.
Quote by Nick_
If you have a specific voicing you want to convey, write it out on a staff. You'll see this in a real book for songs like So What where the exact voicing is a critical part of the song's sound. Otherwise, if you intend to merely specify the harmony, a condensed symbol (by Levine's reference, 7#5 means wholetone means the entire 9b5#5 chord ... of course this certainly might appear on a lead sheet where an altered chord is intended, same with 7b9 chords, which don't always mean diminished. Use your ears) is usually fine.

Hell if you write it out in a way that makes sense I'm sure people will understand what you mean. But at a certain point, staff and notes work best.
Cool...I'll accept that answer and go to sleep.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by Muphin
I'd write it as:

E Bb D G# C F#

What we have here is E7b5
E Bb D G#

C is a flat 6, and F# is a 9.
E7b5b6add9 perhaps?

I'm not even close to an expert on chord nomenclature, just a guess.

I would rather think of it as :

E, A#, D, G#, B#, F#

Arranged they become :

E, G#, B#, D, F#, A#

Scale degrees :
(1, 3, #5, b7, 9, #11)

E, G#, B# is E+.

D, F#, A# is D+.

You could call it E9+(#11). Possibly D+/E+, but that might not be correct nomenclature.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Possibly D+/E+, but that might not be correct nomenclature.

That's not only correct but I prefer it

Breaking up complex chords into a pair of component triads makes things so much easier
Quote by Nick_

Breaking up complex chords into a pair of component triads makes things so much easier

So would that be "polychord"?

Does polychord also include things like C/E, where the notes are arranged E, C, G? or does that have a different name?
Quote by isaac_bandits
So would that be "polychord"?

Does polychord also include things like C/E, where the notes are arranged E, C, G? or does that have a different name?

I've only seen those referred to as "slash chords". The term "polychord" would (to me) make much more sense for something built off of component triads.
Quote by :-D
I've only seen those referred to as "slash chords". The term "polychord" would (to me) make much more sense for something built off of component triads.

I have seen "slash chords" referred to as "polychords", but I've never used it myself. I prefer your terms, which is what I use.

EDIT: Wiki confirms your terms.
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
Taydr: I have seen that as well, but semantically the term "polychord" would not seem to apply to a slash chord. "Poly" = more than one, so the application with component triads works. A slash chord simply implies a chord with a non-root note in the base, which to me does not constitute multiple chords.

That's just my take on it though.
Taydr: I have seen that as well, but semantically the term "polychord" would not seem to apply to a slash chord. "Poly" = more than one, so the application with component triads works. A slash chord simply implies a chord with a non-root note in the base, which to me does not constitute multiple chords.

That's just my take on it though.

Ahhh. That's what I was saying. Unfortunately, there is still some confusion for me. A chord written C/E could mean E, G#, B, C, E, G, or it could mean E, C, G.

Or would a polychord need to specifically state that E is a chord by using the "maj" qualifier, rather than leaving it without, which would constitute it as a note?
Unfortunately with are system of notation it is far to easy to confuse polychords with slash chords

As long as you make it clear you should be fine.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Ahhh. That's what I was saying. Unfortunately, there is still some confusion for me. A chord written C/E could mean E, G#, B, C, E, G, or it could mean E, C, G.

Or would a polychord need to specifically state that E is a chord by using the "maj" qualifier, rather than leaving it without, which would constitute it as a note?

As far as I know, the chord after the slash would have to have a qualifier. This would be the easiest way to avoid confusion. For example, your C/E would imply E C G because there's nothing stating that the E is anything more than a bass note. In order to refer to it as a polychord, you have to notate exactly what the chord after the slash is.
As far as I know, the chord after the slash would have to have a qualifier. This would be the easiest way to avoid confusion. For example, your C/E would imply E C G because there's nothing stating that the E is anything more than a bass note. In order to refer to it as a polychord, you have to notate exactly what the chord after the slash is.

So I would call it C/Emaj ?
Quote by isaac_bandits
So I would call it C/Emaj ?

If you're referring to your E G# B C E G example, then I personally would say it's best to call it C/Emaj, yes.
Quote by Nick_

I dunno...the slash can be so ambiguous. I would probably prefer not to use it in a lead sheet in this application.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
I dunno...the slash can be so ambiguous. I would probably prefer not to use it in a lead sheet in this application.

In the case of D+/E+, the example used, how would the slash be ambiguous?
On a lead sheet it wouldn't be written as D+/E+ but

D+
E+

A slash chord is notated as A/E, so there's no ambiguity between the two.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
On a lead sheet it wouldn't be written as D+/E+ but

D+
E+

A slash chord is notated as A/E, so there's no ambiguity between the two.

Ahhh, that would be good, but unfortunately, it is inconvenient to do that in a forum post. Luckily polychords aren't terribly popular, so we needn't worry.