Ok. I finally learned how gay my spider 3 is. The tone is complete sh*t and i cant even use it to tune my guitar cuz it tunes sharp. So i need a new amp. I put my wii and a bunch of games on ebay. It sold in 3 minutes for 350$. That plus the cost of my amp and my rp250, and I think i can muster up about 700$. I'm looking for an amp that would be appropriate for metal and live gigs. Maybe a half stack. any suggestions?
Quote by umbrellacorp
Ok. I finally learned how gay my spider 3 is. The tone is complete sh*t and i cant even use it to tune my guitar cuz it tunes sharp. So i need a new amp. I put my wii and a bunch of games on ebay. It sold in 3 minutes for 350$. That plus the cost of my amp and my rp250, and I think i can muster up about 700$. I'm looking for an amp that would be appropriate for metal and live gigs. Maybe a half stack. any suggestions?

I've never heard of an amp shifting your pitch sharp... maybe you're imagining things? Anyway, Spiders do suck, you're making a good choice.

You probably want to look used, but you don't want a half- stack. What guitar are you using, and do you play anything other than metal? Could you deal with an amp that has crappy cleans, nonexistent overdrive, and br00tal distortion?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I've never heard of an amp shifting your pitch sharp... maybe you're imagining things? Anyway, Spiders do suck, you're making a good choice.

You probably want to look used, but you don't want a half- stack. What guitar are you using, and do you play anything other than metal? Could you deal with an amp that has crappy cleans, nonexistent overdrive, and br00tal distortion?

The amp isn't shifting the pitch but the built in tuner is off. I have a Jackson DKMG Dinky and i do play other stuff than Metal. I'd like the amp to be blanced. Why not a half stack?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I've never heard of an amp shifting your pitch sharp... maybe you're imagining things?

Spiders have a built in tuner.
I don't know how good the tuner is.

Anyway, the obvious recommendations so far from me are get a tube combo.

Believe me, as an owner of a half stack, they are not worth it.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Because halfstacks in that price range usually aren't worth it.
Well, atleast not as much as a good combo.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by umbrellacorp
What are the advantages of a tube amp and could you list some examples?

Advantages:
They sound worlds better than solid state amps.

Example:
Every professional guitar recording ever, with the exception of maybe Wayne Static. Of course, his tone is garbage on purpose.

Good enough for ya? Anyway, how would you feel about something that only really did heavy distortion well?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

Good enough for ya? Anyway, how would you feel about something that only really did heavy distortion well?

What amp are you reffering to?
Quote by umbrellacorp

I wouldn't go with that. It has trouble getting very high gain levels, the speaker's garbage, and it just sounds very sterile, in general. I'd look at used MESAs, maybe a used DSL401 if you're a Marshall fanboy.

The amp I was referring to was the Peavey 5150/ 6505 (they're the same thing, but they had to change the name to 6505 a while back). The cleans aren't great, there's not much in the way of light distortion, but it sounds damn good for really heavy gain levels.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-2x12-Guitar-Amp?sku=481433
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Mar 22, 2008,
I personally dont really like the valveking I thought it sounded a little fake or digital maybe even though its a soliid tube amp. Its pretty versatile and would probably suit ya well.

I would also suggest something like a B-52, i love my b-52 :P
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
The amp I was referring to was the Peavey 5150/ 6505 (they're the same thing, but they had to change the name to 6505 a while back). The cleans aren't great, there's not much in the way of light distortion, but it sounds damn good for really heavy gain levels.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-2x12-Guitar-Amp?sku=481433

I only have about 700$
Quote by umbrellacorp
I only have about 700$

You can pretty easily get one for that price used.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
You can pretty easily get one for that price used.

Ok Im kinda liking it. Should I trust Ebay?
Quote by umbrellacorp
Ok Im kinda liking it. Should I trust Ebay?

It's usually fine, but Craigslist is loads better. You get to try before you buy, and haggling is much easier in person.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Advantages:
They sound worlds better than solid state amps.

Example:
Every professional guitar recording ever, with the exception of maybe Wayne Static. Of course, his tone is garbage on purpose.

I would say MOST professional guitar players use tube amps. Or Nearly all. I am pretty sure Greg Ginn uses solid states, and I dig his tone.