Is there any type of certificates, or degrees? You can get to help you land a Luthier job. I was thinking about applying for a job at PRS. They start out only 9 an hour being a sander. Not really worth the bridge toll. I was just wondering if there is anyway to get a jump start. I painted cars for 3 years, and have been a finish carpenter for 5. I made 20 untaxed a hour from my last job.

Sorry mods for posting this thread twice. Did not know this section was here
Check out the MI program:
http://www.mi.edu/ProgramByDegree/Certificate/Guitar-Craft/33_10.aspx

If it'll help you get a luthier job, iono, but I'm assuming this will set you apart from the rest of us that just research and pray we don't screw up our guitars with our chisels.....
Good luck jobhunting.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Last edited by ezlntrooper at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by guitarnoobie
I'd like to take up being a luthier as a career but band saws scare me.

Band saws aren't that bad, you just have to be careful.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
There's a luthier school in Red Wing, Minnesota if I'm not mistaken.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Anyone know if there is a school liek this in Michigan? Ive been searching online, too not much luck, Thanks.
Quote by LP Addict
being a luthier you will likely make really ****ty money. i just graduated from john marshall's luthier international in atlanta georgia.

idont know if id recommend it or not.

Can you elaborate? What didnt you like? what did you like? What was covered? What do you feel wasnt covered enough? Was it rushed, and how long did the whole course take to complete? How much was the course? How much hands on work was there? How much theory? How did the guitar you build turn out compared to how you thought it would? etc etc etc

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!