Im planning on changing my strings soon, and i'm wondering if i can take them all off at the same time and polish the fretboard. Will it harm the neck?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Only if it takes you several days to polish the fretboard.

I'm curious as to how exactly it ruins the fretboard....I've had a guitar with no strings on it for a year now, and I've just fixed it and its soon to be fitted with strings. How does this make the guitar bad?
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Quote by carlyroxmysox
I'm curious as to how exactly it ruins the fretboard....I've had a guitar with no strings on it for a year now, and I've just fixed it and its soon to be fitted with strings. How does this make the guitar bad?

The lack of tension from the strings can warp the fretboard. From what i've heard of course.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Quote by carlyroxmysox

It's mostly luck, and the quality of the neck. Multi- piece necks are less prone to warping than one- pieces (I think.. I could have it backwards, so someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
It's mostly luck, and the quality of the neck. Multi- piece necks are less prone to warping than one- pieces (I think.. I could have it backwards, so someone correct me if I'm wrong).

That sounds about right. And i have a 3 peice neck.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Quote by TheQuailman
You should be fine ts, unless it takes you a week to polish that fretboard.

Nah, it should only take an hour tops.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
people have mixed opinions on this, but I think it's fine. Just to be safe though, I'd only do it if my neck really needed the cleaning/polishing.
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Nah, it should only take an hour tops.

Then you won't have problems. Bear in mind that you may possibly have to readjust your intonation. Wait a couple of days before you do that though, as the correct intonation settings are different for fresh and broken in strings.

Thanks for reminding me of string changes by the way, I have to do this myself some day soon.
Well, i left the strings off my bass for about a fortnight (and a bass has alot more tension due to thicker strings), it's a one piece maple neck and rosewood finger board, nothing fancy, But it has the truss rod acess in the neck pocket, So I was like, " I Cannea be Arsed with this" and left it.
The action was a little high at first, but when I put the new Strings on, set it up, let them settle, and now it plays better than ever, It's a cheapo aswell.