Page 1 of 2
Guitar playing is getting quite frustrating now as my windows continuously rattle whenever i hit lower notes on my guitar. Now I would turn down the bass, but I love a really bassy, warm tone for my cleans but whenever I play, theres rattling all over the place.

Is there anything I can do to decrease the amount of rattling? Maybe like put tape on the windows, cover it with something, ...?

Thanks in advance
smash them!!!!
Quote by Seth Shadows
dum, da num, dun dahnahanhanhanahnahhhhh *E5 / D#5* dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn chuggg chuggggg DUN, DAH NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Quote by nine01n
why did the woman cross the road?
who cares, why the hell is she out of the kitchen?
Put some rubber weatherstripping in the cracks
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by p.stick
This is a guitar forum.

Go here: http://www.ukdiyforum.co.uk/forum/

I know this is a guitar forum, I think I would know this is a guitar forum as I've been here longer than you..

Its a guitar related problem

To everyone that suggested, thanks very much
Quote by ortrigger
turn your amp down maybe? who would have thought.

/sarcasm

Its hardly at 2
Quote by Alex S.
Its hardly at 2

yes but how many watts is it? and how old are your windows?
I thought you'd have to be over 13 to join... Hmmm...

Not trying to start an argument here, but the problem is hardly guitar related. It's not like you can do anything to your GUITAR to stop the rattling...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by ortrigger
yes but how many watts is it? and how old are your windows?

My amp is Hot Rod Deluxe so its 50 watts of tube, but where I am playing its really not that loud and it causes a huge amount of excess noise.

The house is pretty old, I'd say maybe close to 30 or 40 years
Quote by p.stick
I thought you'd have to be over 13 to join... Hmmm...

Not trying to start an argument here, but the problem is hardly guitar related. It's not like you can do anything to your GUITAR to stop the rattling...

Well I apologize if this threaded offended you in any way. I'm just looking for some help from guitarists that may have had a similar problem and could share their fix.
Quote by rush5757
turn your amp up louder! then you won't be able to hear the damn windows

i like this idea
Quote by Alex S.
My amp is Hot Rod Deluxe so its 50 watts of tube, but where I am playing its really not that loud and it causes a huge amount of excess noise.

that part is irrelevant. windows can be replaced. does your family know if they have ever been replaced? and if so, talk to them about it. i do like the idea of turning it up louder though.
It ain't your windows buddy. No way in hell you're making that much volume unless your house is built of sticks. Have ANYTHING AT ALL on or near the amp? Lamps, trays with stuf fin them (even pickups), glass trays of coins, etc, will make that sound due to the bass.
How to find out if it is guitar oriented problem: Disconnect all cables, leave the guitar in the room over night, if the windows are rattling, your guitar is wierd and you should not buy a sonic wave enhanced guitar. (/sarcasm)
To topic: if your windows have not been changed then the rattling is always going to be a problem. Best windows if you want to play music loud would be the newer part plastic (don't mean the cheap stuff used for toys ^^) which prolly won't break unless your amp is a beast.
Also it all depends on the wattage of your amp. If it's a 60W beast in that old a house, you're always gonna have a problem if you want to crank it up.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by Simonwalker
How to find out if it is guitar oriented problem: Disconnect all cables, leave the guitar in the room over night, if the windows are rattling, your guitar is wierd and you should not buy a sonic wave enhanced guitar. (/sarcasm)
To topic: if your windows have not been changed then the rattling is always going to be a problem. Best windows if you want to play music loud would be the newer part plastic (don't mean the cheap stuff used for toys ^^) which prolly won't break unless your amp is a beast.
Also it all depends on the wattage of your amp. If it's a 60W beast in that old a house, you're always gonna have a problem if you want to crank it up.

Thanks very much. I'll look into those

I'm telling you, it's not your windows. If my 60 watt Crate on 3 or my 5 watt Valve Junior turned to on 11 isn't going to shake the windows, you're HRD sure isn't. and before you ask, I have old ones, two of which are rotting out.
Well he likes heavy bass on his songs than that is going to rattle them unless he buys a vibration pad of some sort to put his amp onto.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by Simonwalker
Well he likes heavy bass on his songs than that is going to rattle them unless he buys a vibration pad of some sort to put his amp onto.

I've played my friend's bass guitar and it hasn't rattled the windows, so there goes that explanation. Also, if it's on carpet, the vibrations aren't going to go far anyway.
Quote by CJRocker
I've played my friend's bass guitar and it hasn't rattled the windows, so there goes that explanation. Also, if it's on carpet, the vibrations aren't going to go far anyway.

Dude I'm 85% sure its the windows

I tested it a while ago. I played a low e and put pressure on the window and the rattling decreased. I mean I'm not sure whats going on.
Quote by Alex S.
Dude I'm 85% sure its the windows

I tested it a while ago. I played a low e and put pressure on the window and the rattling decreased. I mean I'm not sure whats going on.

Never did answer my question about what is around the amp. If that thing is moving your windows, I would be looking for a new house.
There is absolutely nothing on, around, under, next to my amp. I even took down some paintings I have up in my room but the rattling continues
Quote by CJRocker
If the windows have locks, are they locked?

No, could that affect it?
Quote by Alex S.
No, could that affect it?

Possibly. The lock would hold them together and keep them moving a fair bit.
My windows rattle but whatever lol
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
ya man its not your windows. iam pushing 100watts tube and the windows are fine. its something in that room.
I had a similar problem that drove me crazy a couple years back. Any G i played caused the clips on my guitar case to rattle. It took me a while to figure it out. So mad. Everything has a certain frequency that will cause it to vibrate, so there may be nothing you can do about it.
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC1000 (w/ EMG 81 and 60)
ESP/LTD H500 (w/SD Custom 5 and 59)
Fender MIM Strat (basically my first. Never play it.)
Traynor YCV80 4x10
Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

Half Stacks are OVER-Rated
Hmm it are not your windows it are your brains that are rattling because if you think its guitar related you must be pretty dumb :S
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
i just figured it out. whenever you hit that low E it hits the natural harmonic frequency of something in your room. (windows, possibly decorations that might be in there.) this would cause them to vibrate or shake. it's really complicated how it works and i'm not 100% sure about this theory but it explains it.
Quote by Alex S.

Thats really not that old

I think the obvious solution would be to turn your amp UP. That way you won't hear the windows rattling ;P
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by ortrigger
i just figured it out. whenever you hit that low E it hits the natural harmonic frequency of something in your room. (windows, possibly decorations that might be in there.) this would cause them to vibrate or shake. it's really complicated how it works and i'm not 100% sure about this theory but it explains it.

Yep, I put my acoustic faced towards my half-stack on a guitar stand, had the amp turned to half volume, and when I played my d string or a d note, the d string on the acoustic would rattle like NUTS (pop).
Quote by sektor47
Yep, I put my acoustic faced towards my half-stack on a guitar stand, had the amp turned to half volume, and when I played my d string or a d note, the d string on the acoustic would rattle like NUTS (pop).

ya. harmonics are pretty fun to study but are super hard to explain. thats about as good an explanation as any i've heard that are under 10 minutes.
Page 1 of 2