I don't even know if there is a name for this technique, but here goes.

I was watching the crossroads DVD, specifically the Jeff Beck set, and I was wondering about how he 'pulls' the notes out. If I had to describe it, it would be the playing of a note without the sound of the string being plucked.

Jeff Beck isn't the only person I have heard this sound from. On Joe Bonamassa's cover of Blues Deluxe, he makes a similar sound come out.

Anyone know what I am talking about?
i think you mean a 'pull off'

its a basic technique, along with a 'hammer on' which is the opposite. look it up, its awesomely useful
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

its a basic technique, along with a 'hammer on' which is the opposite. look it up, its awesomely useful

Are you referring to the technique or the Search Bar? If in fact Search bar: Subtle Own.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

I know what a pull of is. Smart ass. Have you even heard the examples that I gave. I watched the dvd and Jeff Beck is not doing a simple pull off. If anything it might be a bend, but the dynamic change in the not is very pronounced and the pitch shift isn't, so I was wondering what he was doing.
Quote by imgooley
I know what a pull of is. Smart ass. Have you even heard the examples that I gave. I watched the dvd and Jeff Beck is not doing a simple pull off. If anything it might be a bend, but the dynamic change in the not is very pronounced and the pitch shift isn't, so I was wondering what he was doing.

sometimes people hammer on without hitting a note before. either that or he is getting some awesome feedback through his amp.
It sounds like he could be pre-bending the string... simply bend the string to a higher pitch before plucking it then release it, this will make a similar sound to a pull of if done quickly but still different...
Quote by ortrigger
sometimes people hammer on without hitting a note before. either that or he is getting some awesome feedback through his amp.

That is probably what it is, feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqaI4wG0yFo

The similar sound that I was talking about is at about 3:25 on this song. You can't really hear the plucking of the notes on the phrase.
did he have a slide?
was he finger-picking?
maybe he was just hammering on without plucking a string?

I dono, but if it's none of those, then it's probably some slurring effect pedal or awesome overdrive or something.
turning the volume nob ur guitar after plucin it or hammer on or w-e.
Quote by rush5757
did he have a slide?
was he finger-picking?
maybe he was just hammering on without plucking a string?

I dono, but if it's none of those, then it's probably some slurring effect pedal or awesome overdrive or something.

He was finger picking, so I think maybe be was rubbing the string of the guitar and using heavy vibrato to get some awesome feedback.
Without clicking the link, I remember seeing some thing on jeff beck and volume swells.
Quote by jimRH7
Without clicking the link, I remember seeing some thing on jeff beck and volume swells.

Do you know where I can find it?
eh, it was in a magazine, total guitar or something, but the idea is really simple, you just rest your pinky on the volume knob, turn it down, strike the note, then move your pinky to turn up the volume.

(having said that, i can't do it, probably takes loads of practice!)