I was trying to recreate the dimebag squeals on my hardtail telecaster, and here is what ive got so far.

turn the volume knob on the guitar all the way down. Hit a natural harmonic on any string (easiest on 3rd string) then, bend the string behind the nut, sweep the volume knob on and create a vibrato effect by bending behind the nut.

Anyone got any other tricks like these?
Yeah, i do the same since i don't have a FR. I have a vintage tremolo, so i hit a harmonic, and use my whammy and push the strings behind the nut. It's nice, but a FR is even better.
Quote by Andrusho
Yeah, i do the same since i don't have a FR. I have a vintage tremolo, so i hit a harmonic, and use my whammy and push the strings behind the nut. It's nice, but a FR is even better.

thats why you just don't worry about it. or, be like EVH and mod your guitar to fit an FR.
FLoyd roses arent all that. I have them, cause i like the ability for weird sounds, but they are not that usefull.

As for the question, Another thing you may wanna try if you are comfortable with your tuners is slide up a string, while downtuning and bending the string as you slide up. It creates like an underwater type of thing.

One I really like is also tremolo picking while hovering your hand and featherly touching and sliding the hand across the first 7 frets. It sounds crazier from 2 to 5th fret. Use distortion. It will sound very electronic and weird. Dont press on the string though, just lightly touch it and slide back and forward while picking fast. I like it when doint that on the A (fifth) string.
You can bend the neck Jake E Lee style, but for obvious reasons, you must be careful and should only do this on bolt on neck guitars. Thats the only way to get those sounds without a tremolo that is easy and doesn't require you reach away while playing.

And to the guy saying Floyds are only useful for making sounds (not exactly what you said but what it amounts to), you should learn to use one first before saying that.
Quote by CJRocker
You can bend the neck Jake E Lee style, but for obvious reasons, you must be careful and should only do this on bolt on neck guitars. Thats the only way to get those sounds without a tremolo that is easy and doesn't require you reach away while playing.

And to the guy saying Floyds are only useful for making sounds (not exactly what you said but what it amounts to), you should learn to use one first before saying that.

I know how to use one. They are only better than regular locking trems when it comes to tuning stability. Their vibrato which can be done with bigsbys as well is awesome. But like i said other floating bridges can do the same. The advantage of floyds is their ability to extend really far while remaining in tune. The only purpose there is for sounds. THey do add color, but are NOT necessary.
Quote by nyandres
I know how to use one. They are only better than regular locking trems when it comes to tuning stability. Their vibrato which can be done with bigsbys as well is awesome. But like i said other floating bridges can do the same. The advantage of floyds is their ability to extend really far while remaining in tune. The only purpose there is for sounds. THey do add color, but are NOT necessary.

who cares anyway. your opinion doesn't count feb08er.
Quote by ortrigger
who cares anyway. your opinion doesn't count feb08er.

That's the friendly, helpful attitude this site is known for
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
That's the friendly, helpful attitude this site is known for

i know. i believe....SIGGED!
Quote by nyandres

By that logic, all tremolos are only useful for making weird sounds. Go listen to Steve Vai for some very musical uses for those weird noises. If you still want to force your opinion they are not necessary on us, go right ahead.