my friend is going to change pickups on his bass
any tips?
also is it safe to use 50W to solder the pickups? or is it too much?
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
i use a 100W soldering iron normally so i assume 50W is safe enough
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
i suggest you buy some wire that is the same gauge of wire, as the new p-ups, and practice soldering for a little while. then you'll know what to expect. you don't want to ruin your new p-ups learning how, and a small piece of wire from radio shack should cost only a couple of bucks. just my 2 cents.

Edit: you could use "crimp on" wire connectors, instead of soldering them.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i suggest you buy some wire that is the same gauge of wire, as the new p-ups, and practice soldering for a little while. then you'll know what to expect. you don't want to ruin your new p-ups learning how, and a small piece of wire from radio shack should cost only a couple of bucks. just my 2 cents.

Edit: you could use "crimp on" wire connectors, instead of soldering them.

whats a "crimp on"?
sorry is just i suck at english
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
whats a "crimp on"?
sorry is just i suck at english

no prob!
crimp on connectors are just "pinched" on using a pair of pliers. no soldering needed.
BTW will it work if i use Electrical tape
just for some time until my friend get the soldering stuff
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
i recently fixed my starter yamaha P-bass, and it turns out that soldered the volume in the MAAAXXXXXXXXXXXXXX position. Its probably the result of repeated attempts....

be careful

EDIT: i had a 40W iron
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
I'm not sure why Rick wants you to "crimp" them, it wouldnt give a very strong hold will it?

I would "tip" or "wet" the exposed wire on the wires from the pickups by putting solder on them, bend these into hook shapes, then solder on the required pots. You get a large contact area so you should get a secure and well conductive joint.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I'd check out the gear modding and building section for full advice on how to solder properly. There are some nice how tos in there. 50w seems kind of high to me, but if you're just soldering to pots and a tone cap, I doubt you'll overheat anything.

edit* where would a crimp or electrical tape come into play here? Are you changing the wires between pots and such or just removing the old pups and soldering the new pup wires to the respective places on each pot?

Seems to me like you'd just be getting rid of the wires attached to the old pups and the wires on the new pups just need to be soldered where the old ones used to go. Unless I missed something and you're trying out some new wiring scheme.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I'd check out the gear modding and building section for full advice on how to solder properly. There are some nice how tos in there. 50w seems kind of high to me, but if you're just soldering to pots and a tone cap, I doubt you'll overheat anything.

edit* where would a crimp or electrical tape come into play here? Are you changing the wires between pots and such or just removing the old pups and soldering the new pup wires to the respective places on each pot?

Seems to me like you'd just be getting rid of the wires attached to the old pups and the wires on the new pups just need to be soldered where the old ones used to go. Unless I missed something and you're trying out some new wiring scheme.

i am just changing the pups
not rewiring or anything
is just i dont want to damage the pots or the cables or the new pup
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400