Me and my band were talking a week ago and have decided upon something: Our gear sucks

not exactly our gear per se, but me and my bassists' amps suck.

So I'm looking for something under $500 that can get a good modern rock tone but can get to harder stuff. Not exactly teh br00talz, but can get up there.

I've been looking at the Palomino V32. So far I haven't played it but I've heard marvelous things about it from UG so that's what I've seen.

I was just wondering if there was anything else out there.

and I haven't been here at UG for over a month (PC Problems) so fill me in on what's happened (if anything)

thanks UG
Well, there's the new Stereo amp thread...

I don't think the Palomino has the gain structure you're looking for. An upgraded Valveking might do it, however.
well i have a mg10cd marshall 10 watt amp but u might want to gut like a half stack or a 50 watt
Quote by javierjjs
well i have a mg10cd marshall 10 watt amp but u might want to gut like a half stack or a 50 watt

best advice ever

but seriously good call on the palomino, will need an od for heavier stuff but ya good start
Quote by javierjjs

It'd be kind of hard to gut a halfstack which is in TS's budget, since they don't have guts.

Fail to the guy I quoted.
But, that palomino is a very good idea. If you go used, a peavey classic sounds pretty good for you
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^ Yeah both the Peavey Classics and the Palominos should suit you fine. They're more classic voiced amps but the Peavey I have has a somewhat modern sound and can get a decent amount of hard rock gain on its own.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
^ Well it's good but the TS would be better off with a tube amp since he's looking for one. I had a Vox ad30vt that served me well but a year later I just ended up having to buy a new tube amp.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
^I guess the randall is a good idea. I wouldn't go for the VK though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
There are so many amps to choose from in the bracket you descirbed so the best thing for you to do is try some out in the shops!
Quote by darkarbiter7
^I guess the randall is a good idea. I wouldn't go for the VK though.

It's good for what it is; flexable, easy to work with, gets heavy. Not everyone appreciates low gain breakup like you and me, mate.
Well, the vk is still pretty good, but the Randall would be a bit better for his tastes.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
The only reason why I'm going with a Palomino is because my Guitar Center has them. Plus, I've heard it can get a modern rock tone with an OD behind it. I've thought about getting a Tubescreamer with it. But only if I needed it.

I'd really advise the Valveking or RG50TC, but play the VK next to the Palomino. You'll see what I mean when I say it's gain structure is wrong for modern rock.