I've been looking around the net for a trem of some description for my Epi Firebird, and I've come across three options:

1. Non-DIY tailpiece mounted Trem
2. Bigsby/Stetsbar
3. Floyd Rose

Thing is, the first two options are going to cost me more than I paid for the guitar (£100+), while the FR copy sits at a reasonable £35 off eBay. n__n

But I'm not into the idea of drilling into my axe, for fear of ruining it with the FR..

Any ideas folks..?
options 1 and 2 arn't(at least 2) arn't trems, more vibratos

my idea is to not try and put a floating bridge on that guitar
Quote by Epic Noob
Thing is, the first two options are going to cost me more than I paid for the guitar (£100+), while the FR copy sits at a reasonable £35 off eBay. n__n

An FR that cheap will only give you a headache...

If your going to go through all the work of putting a trem on (which I highly don't reccomend) at least get an OFR. They cost about $180 (£90-ish) but they're more than worth it.
^ I don't think so. I mean Ibanez Ss are pretty thin and they have floating trems. The only guitar that I've heard is to thin are the Blackmachine guitars and those are ridiculously thin.
Quote by Ghold125
options 1 and 2 arn't(at least 2) arn't trems, more vibratos

my idea is to not try and put a floating bridge on that guitar

what the hell is the difference? arent trems and vibratos the same thing? and i wouldnt change a thing on that ax
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
A normal FR will fit fine. Jackson used to do it all the time on their Firebirds. I do agree that a cheap FR isn't worth it; used Schallers and OFRs can be had for around $100, or you can buy a new Gotoh.
If a floyd doesn't fit, have you thought about kahler? They will fit a thin body much easier.
sigh...
Quote by CJRocker
A normal FR will fit fine. Jackson used to do it all the time on their Firebirds. I do agree that a cheap FR isn't worth it; used Schallers and OFRs can be had for around $100, or you can buy a new Gotoh.

What major cosmetic work will be required if I install it?

Plus, what will become of the tailpiece holes?

Sorry for the newfaggy questions, hence the username. n__n
Quote by enceps
If a floyd doesn't fit, have you thought about kahler? They will fit a thin body much easier.

And I don't think they require much drilling at all, but I have pretty limited knowledge of them. People have told me they lack the ability to do pull ups though, but I've seen a FR and Kahler comparison vid on youtube and I'm pretty sure it's possible.

Disadvantages to the Kahler are the fact that when you bend a string, you have to hit the trem bar or it will go out of tune, but if you like to bend with fingers you can, you just have to do a small dive bomb before you do anything else. It's something with the tension on the roller, idk.

You can "Lock" a Kahler bridge tho, which basically makes it an elaborate stop bar tailpiece.

Idk, just something to consider. If you're going for a FR you really just need to buy an OFR, the cheapos will just give you trouble. Plus you should probably take it to a shop to have everything drilled out. It'll cost a lot, but if you really want it atleast take it to a few shops and see if they'll do it any how much it'll cost.
Wouldn't a maestro fit better on a firebird?
Quote by Epic Noob
What major cosmetic work will be required if I install it?

Plus, what will become of the tailpiece holes?

Sorry for the newfaggy questions, hence the username. n__n

Well to install a floating trem it requires a lot of routing. To give you an idea look at the front and back of this guitar. The routing could easily be more expensive to get done then buying the trem.

EDIT: Just to make it clear. Not only does the front need to be routed for the actual trem, but the back of the guitar as well for the springs.
Quote by T!AN
Well to install a floating trem it requires a lot of routing. To give you an idea look at the front and back of this guitar. The routing could easily be more expensive to get done then buying the trem.

EDIT: Just to make it clear. Not only does the front need to be routed for the actual trem, but the back of the guitar as well for the springs.

Good grief! I may as well buy an Ibanez for what it's worth.. :O

Cheers for the help folks!
Quote by Epic Noob
Good grief! I may as well buy an Ibanez for what it's worth.. :O

Cheers for the help folks!

I would go with a Kahler. Not a ton of routed needed, and it mounts on the studs. That said, you could no do a recessed route on the FR anyway due to the fact that the neck has a steep angle due to the TOM bridge, so that saves you a lot of hassle.
Quote by edusty2010
And I don't think they require much drilling at all, but I have pretty limited knowledge of them. People have told me they lack the ability to do pull ups though, but I've seen a FR and Kahler comparison vid on youtube and I'm pretty sure it's possible.

Disadvantages to the Kahler are the fact that when you bend a string, you have to hit the trem bar or it will go out of tune, but if you like to bend with fingers you can, you just have to do a small dive bomb before you do anything else. It's something with the tension on the roller, idk.

You can "Lock" a Kahler bridge tho, which basically makes it an elaborate stop bar tailpiece.

Idk, just something to consider. If you're going for a FR you really just need to buy an OFR, the cheapos will just give you trouble. Plus you should probably take it to a shop to have everything drilled out. It'll cost a lot, but if you really want it atleast take it to a few shops and see if they'll do it any how much it'll cost.

You can do some great pull ups, whenever I do a divebomb on mine I pull up at the beggining and go halfway down, instead of going all the way down, stays in tune better. I've never had tunning problems with bending, mabye if you don't have a locking nut.

The advantages are that you can adjust everything on it with an allen key, and you don't need a back cavity.
sigh...