Well, all the advanced grade 10 math classes are supposed to do a math project on any topic they would like, that relates to everyday life, so I have come to ask for ideas. I could only think of a few things, pythagorus being one, but they are pretty obvious and overused.

Any suggestions?
...something about guitar?
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Well, a sine wave would relate to guitar strings i believe, so do something on mathematical wave theory. Or if you do the note approach, make a project about how harmonics work on a guitar.
Do the harmonic series.... and explain how it relates to natural harmonics on a guitar.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
or if you wanna do something really easy do something like the difference in sustain on like an open string and on the 24th fret or something
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
counting sheep.

No seriously... I saw something in my maths lecture about patterns involving sheep births or something. It might've been a different animal, but there was some sort of sequence in which it happened.
You'd need quite a bit of time and sheep though.
Hmmm... I'm sure no one else would be doing counting sheep...

The harmonics stuff seems do-able, but I've never looked at the harmonic series in math before, so I just wikied it. If I could explain that, and relate it to guitar, it would be a good project.
^It was about rabbits, and it's called Fibonnacci's sequence (sp?).

All the ideas about harmonics sound good.
Pythagoras came up with the theorem that explains why guitar strings make different noises when you put your fingers on them, you know effectively shortening them and such.
Cool guy.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
This is the MyImmortal law of math: If the class has the word math, or is in any way related to math, it shall be dropped, and if solution 1 can not happen it shall be nap time.

That's all I know about math. You drained my brain helping you.
Quote by Ostinattos
^It was about rabbits, and it's called Fibonnacci's sequence (sp?).

All the ideas about harmonics sound good.

right yeah. Luckily I don't need to know this information properly. He was just telling us to "excite us". Didn't work - I was more asleep than ever in that lecture.
Thanks for corrections though.
Look into the mathematical aspects of Blackjack, Poker etc.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

^Yeah, my brother suggested that I learn how to count cards, I forgot about that. I've actually recieved good answers in this thread... odd...

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Come to think of it, what we had to do when I was your age was stuff like n!/n!+r! or whatever and all the binomial series and stuff for our coursework. It was something about how many times you can rearrange the letters in a word consisting of n letters and then you find how the pattern works out etc.
dude show how using different formulas of division can help you construct chords
Quote by C O B H C
I do believe so. I think heard it on TV once upon a time.

Edit: Wait, what the fuck was I watching on TV that had to do with ass hair?

Quote by sum_ugly_man

ndogg, is actually a kitty

Quote by jeff541
thanks ndogg.

/thread.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
I applaud thee.
Word to the wise: don't come up with something crazy and original because it'll be too much work. Just do the same bog-standard sh*t and get those easy marks.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████