Page 1 of 2
Alright guys, instead of asking "should I get this, or this" I'm going to ask what I'll need to achieve it..

My favorite tones and what I'd like to achieve (Covering a lot of ground..)

Something like Boys like Girls, Paramore, FoB, or just the standard todays pop tone.

I'd also like to get warm cleans like RHCP, some blues, etc. Also some good vintage tones.

My first thought would be a new guitar, I have active EMG's and I don't play metal very often.. What do I need?!
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I'd say a Marshall for your amp, and any guitar would be ok I think...strat, LP, etc.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
My amp is fine. I was looking for new guitar, pedals etc.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by tr3nt
My amp is fine. I was looking for new guitar, pedals etc.

Agreed, I think your amp's pretty well suited for the music you play. I think a Strat or Tele would fit your needs best, it'll be relatively easy to get a fatter, humbucker- ish tone out of your Roadster when you need to.
I was gonna say a Fat Strat, or maybe a G&L Comanche or S-500.

I think you amp's fine, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Wrong forum

I'd recommend a Standard Stratocaster, and then replace the bridge pickup with one of those stackable humbuckers that fit into a single coil position.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Wrong forum

I'd recommend a Standard Stratocaster, and then replace the bridge pickup with one of those stackable humbuckers that fit into a single coil position.

Blah Blah.. I was looking for guitars anddd pedals.. I just posted here because essentially the members that post here are far more mature then the electric guitar forum regulars .

It's really really hard to choose gear because I have no where to try it, so I make decsions by what my favorite artists use. I have played a fat strat, it was the standard, and I don't know I played it on a VK and I generally don't like the VK THAT much.

Quote by tr3nt
Blah Blah.. I was looking for guitars anddd pedals.. I just posted here because essentially the members that post here are far more mature then the electric guitar forum regulars .

It's really really hard to choose gear because I have no where to try it, so I make decsions by what my favorite artists use. I have played a fat strat, it was the standard, and I don't know I played it on a VK and I generally don't like the VK THAT much.

Know anyone who owns a Stratocaster? lol
Also, I've been looking at a SG Standard for a while because a ton of my fav bands use them.

I have played a standard strat from 1983 that my friend has. I LOVEDD the cleans but I didn't like anything else besides clean.

Quote by tr3nt
Also, I've been looking at a SG Standard for a while because a ton of my fav bands use them.

That'll do the first line of what you're looking at, but fail at the second.

Quote by tr3nt
Something like Boys like Girls, Paramore, FoB, or just the standard todays pop tone.

I'd also like to get warm cleans like RHCP, some blues, etc. Also some good vintage tones.

I think the Fat Strat does them both best.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I can understand the RHCP and blues.. But how couldn't it achieve vintage tones? I mean when you say vintage I say SG.. ;\.

I feel like... I'm sinning arguing with Slats.. heh :P

edit; are you talking about the fat strat standard?

Well, I should say first off that I'm no fan of the SG. IMHO, it stands for "Sh!tty Guitar." But yeah, I recognize that it's been used on some classic recordings. It's not a blues or RHCP guitar, though, that's for sure.

And a "Standard Strat," is generally referring to one with three single coils, while the Fat Strat has the 'bucker at the bridge. Fender has the MIM Standard, and the American Standard. I'd suggest you get the best one you can afford (and with your amp, you should be looking at some nicer guitars). I have an American Deluxe Fat Strat, and it's really an incredibly versatile guitar. I have other guitars for specific sounds, but the Strat can come close to covering all of them.

I'm a big G&L fan, too. Those Comanches are kick-ass, and would probably do everything you want to do and look great doing it.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
+1 on Fat Strat. Unless you need neck (humbucker) leads too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
whats a hss strat i could be looking at slats? and why don't you like the sg?

Like I said, I'd look at the best one you can afford. I'm not a huge fan of the HWY1's, I think the MIM Deluxe's are just as good, but cheaper. But I went all the way for the American Deluxe.

As far as the SG goes, I just think it's remarkably overrated. It's not terrible, just nothing special. And for the price, it should really be something special. A standard Gibson SG costs more than a US made Deluxe Strat. I know which one I'd rather have.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I want to try one out now..

Schecter C-1+

add some new pickups

Bridge = Seymour Duncan Custom Custim
Neck = Seymour Duncan 59
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by tr3nt
I just posted here because essentially the members that post here are far more mature then the electric guitar forum regulars .

A-freaking-men.
I want something American made and something that will give my amp the justice it deserves :P

For $1000 on MF, there's a rather neat Mahagony HSS American Strat. Played one; everything you like about the Strat, with a few LP-ish tweaks.
is the American hss standard good?

I really wanna try one of thoes out, and an SG.

Question; If I walked into GC and asked them if I could take a guitar home if I payed them full price for it to play with it, with intentions to bring it back to get my money back would they?

I want to take it home to play with it on my cranked mesa lol.

Edit; That probably wouldn't work considering I'd buy used.. eh.. =\

Last edited by tr3nt at Mar 23, 2008,
You can't get the standard pop tone from a Roadster? Not trying to come off like a douche but man, there's tone controls on that thing! Like 20 off them! I'm sure you can get pop tone on a Roadster with a First Act and multi-effects unit!

Oh, I'd suggest getting an Epi Elitist, but apparently people dismiss it as a budget guitar.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by tr3nt
Question; If I walked into GC and asked them if I could take a guitar home if I payed them full price for it to play with it, with intentions to bring it back to get my money back would they?

If you want to buy used, I'm sure someone on CL would be happy to bring their guitar to wherever your amp is, and let you play it in there presence.

I think an Epi Elietist would be good, if he really just wants an LP.
Quote by SQHero
You can't get the standard pop tone from a Roadster? Not trying to come off like a douche but man, there's tone controls on that thing! Like 20 off them! I'm sure you can get pop tone on a Roadster with a First Act and multi-effects unit!

Oh, I'd suggest getting an Epi Elitist, but apparently people dismiss it as a budget guitar.

I don't think you understand.. Yeah the Roadster has like 588 buttons, but my EMG's (Shudder) It turns everything metal!!!

Quote by tr3nt

yeah dude just go in and buy it, then just make sure they have that 30 day return policy. I wouldn't deliberately ask "I wanna try this out at home and i'm gonna bring it back, is that ok?"
Lol I thought that would work and then I realized I won't have enough for a brand new product.. The SG's are 800 used and the American HSS Strats are around $700. Both upwards 1000 new.

EMG horror story revealed... Deeply shocked! Try putting a dead battery in it; IT SHALL BE SILENCED!
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Wait, wait, wait. Can't you just drop a '59 and a Pearly Gates into your Hellraiser? Sure, you're have to re-do all the pots...but...yeah.
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest a 72 Deluxe Tele.

Fall Out Boy used them on their second album (and possibly their first?).

One of the guys from Paramore uses them.

Both bands use Mesas. Therefore, if my calculations are correct, you should be able to nail their tones. AND! it is in your budget new. If you go used, you could get some sweet pedals.
Quote by colin617

Both bands use Mesas. Therefore, if my calculations are correct, you should be able to nail their tones. AND! it is in your budget new. If you go used, you could get some sweet pedals.

I've played a single coil strat once and I wasn't too fond of it ;\.

Quote by colin617

+1, I'm kinda biased, owning one myself, but they definitely cover all your options
They are MIM though, so another good option would be that American Mahogony fat Strat the.spine.surfs suggested
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
EMGs are definitely NOT the way to go for such tones IMO. You want a warmer humbucker....I highly recommend the Duncan Custom 5 in some sort of a warm mahogany guitar....sweet tone that is versatile to no end.

Mark Knopfler has (and had) EMGs in his guitars... and he had a pop-like, warm RHCP like tone... but 10 times better
Quote by iamtompublic
The 72 Tele has two humbuckers so I have no idea what the above statement means

Oh, sorry, I thought tele and immediately thought single coils. I'll check it out.

However, as much as i LOVE my 72 tele, i wouldn't advise it as a buy-without-trying guitar...
The neck is a fair bit different to standard Fenders, and its a 'you love it or hate it' kind of thing
I for one, love it but i would advise you try it if at all possible
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I got a few guitars to try out .. Gotta call places before making a huge trip to find they don't have them.

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American HSS Strat.
Fender 72 Tele .

Page 1 of 2