I've been playing for around 6 months so far with 1 to 2 hours of practice 5-7 times a week. I've come to appreciate just how difficult this instrument is to learn so I wanted to share some of my experiences.

www.ultimate-guitar.com
I want to thank this web site for all of it's information. This is where I got started and learned a lot. I visit every day for the forums.

Software - eMedia Guitar Method
I purchased eMedia Guitar Method in the beginning. At the time I was more interested in solos instead of chords and rhythm, so I breezed past most of that. Now I'm lacking in chords so I may go back and do this one again. I think I paid $50 for it. Not an awesome purchase for the price but not bad either.

Book - Play Guitar
I picked up a hard cover book titled "Play Guitar" from the clearance bin at Barnes & noble. Something like $13. I got about 2/3rds through it. I like how it broke things down into little pieces of a song. For $13 this was a pretty good purchase. I think I got a little impatient and went too fast.

Books - Troy Stetina Lead Guitar Primer, Lead Volume 1, and Rhythm Guitar
I found these on Amazon for less than cover price. I went through the Lead Primer and almost done with the Rhythm Guitar book. I would say these were a pretty good purchase. I'm not a fan of having to pop a CD into something to play the example tracks so most of the time I didn't.

GuitarMasterClass
I considered a subscription to this web site. I learned a couple cool licks on there but most of the stuff is beyond my abilities right now. Maybe I'll look into this in the future again.

JustinGuitar.com
He has a good web site with cool videos. I actually learned Johnny B Goode from his YouTube video. I'm progressing with my speed but I'm not forcing it. Thanks to all those people that said to take it slower then you think until you can play it good, then speed it up a little.

Software - eMedia Intermediate Guitar
I am only a quarter of the way through this course but I think it is worth while so far. Only complaint is that the video player crashes when I try to play the videos. This happened on the first Guitar Method software title but I got that resolved. This one, I couldn't get fixed.

Software - eMedia Rock Guitar
I'm also doing this one at the same time as the intermediate Guitar title. I have no video problems on this one and I enjoy it a little more then the intermediate course. Also a quarter of the way through and I like it.

DVDs - Metal Method
I've been skeptical of these DVDs for a while and found a little information on here with a couple people saying they were good. I've seen people and web sites endorse certain products and we all know ads can be bought and fake reviews can be put on the web, but this one is legit. I got the 6 DVD collection for $75 (shipped). I just finished the first DVD and I really liked it. Wasn't sure how I would like having to mess with a DVD as opposed to a book, but I have one of those portable DVD players and that works great. The DVD has the tab on it in .pdf format to print out. This is my largest single purchase of training material and I think it may be the best so far.

I'm learning good stuff from the DVDs and the last 2 eMedia programs. I'm not in any hurry so I'm trying to progress slowly with each one and not move on to the next phase until I'm comfortable with each lesson. Just because you learned to play a chord progression doesn't mean your done with that lesson and don't need to practice it anymore - instead, I use previous lessons as part of my warm up and review.
I also like that the software and DVDs give me structured way to progress, as opposed to learning from the internet where you can take any direction you want and maybe get lost. I know a good teacher would also help with structure, but thats just not my thing.

Lastly, I have a nice Vox as my main amp and love it, but there are many times when I'd like to play in the living room in front of the TV or in the den by the PC. Then I picked up a Roland Micro Cube on sale. It runs a long time on AA batteries and is awesome for my needs. Nice distortion, nice clean channels - everything I need. With the Micro Cube and the portable DVD player I have no excuse to not practice.

If you have any questions on any of this material please feel free to ask. I'm always cautious with spending my money and I know there's a lot of younger beginners on here that may not have a lot of money to spend and want the best bang for their buck.

Regards,
Don
Awesome man, hope you're having a good time learning guitar =].

Keep on rocking.