Page 1 of 2
Ok i tried the sticky on Music theory and i might aswell be reading chinese
So rather than spend alot of time doing all that witch seems a big bore
ill just learn some songs witch ive never done before ive been playing for 1 and half years and havent learnd a song i dont think i suck i practice atleast 3 hours a day
so i was thinking of learning at least two easy-intermediate songs from five genres

so the genres are

Country
Raggae
Rock
Metal
Funk

state any suggestions for any genre thanks
Quote by the-kid66(3)
Ok i tried the sticky on Music theory and i might aswell be reading chinese
So rather than spend alot of time doing all that witch seems a big bore
ill just learn some songs witch ive never done before ive been playing for 1 and half years and havent learnd a song i dont think i suck i practice atleast 3 hours a day
so i was thinking of learning at least two easy-intermediate songs from five genres

so the genres are

Country
Raggae
Rock
Metal
Funk

state any suggestions for any genre thanks

So you have been playing a year and a half..... you dont suck.... but you dont know any songs???

what do you know? what do you practice? what do you play ??? what do you do for 3 hours per day?

TIP:

before studying theory....... learn some songs....learn alot of songs.

what songs?? dont ask us..... you should know what you like. Find some songs that appeal to you.... and learn how to play them.

When you have a decent repertoire that you can play competently, then maybe look into learning some theory. When you do get to that point. Keep in mind there is a lot to it, and that some guidance will really help you out. (as in lessons or a class)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 22, 2008,
You would be better off in the long run if you just tried to understand some basic music theory. Just stop when you get too confuzed and come back to it later.
You've never learned a song before? 0_o

No harm comes from learning music theory. Learning basic theory knowledge isn't all that hard and will only benefit you in the long run.

Anybody can sit and learn random songs. It takes a little bit of effort, but it's very worth it to gain a mastery and a familiarity with the instrument, which will allow you to to make your own music with ease.
ragae sound do some SUBLIME

country here's a good one i don't know if you would consider this country it's more folksy but

fidlers green - tragically hip

for rock anyhting clasic

ccr
led zeppelin
neil young
pink floyd
beatles- helter scelter is a good one

metal i don't listen to and the stuff i do is probably not considered metal here

satalites and austronauts- in flames
repent (*****) - children of bodom

i don't know any funk
song stuck in my head today

Quote by lbc_sublime

metal i don't listen to and the stuff i do is probably not considered metal here

satalites and austronauts- in flames
repent (*****) - children of bodom

It doesn't get much more metal!
Quote by CowboyUp
You've never learned a song before? 0_o

No harm comes from learning music theory. Learning basic theory knowledge isn't all that hard and will only benefit you in the long run.

Anybody can sit and learn random songs. It takes a little bit of effort, but it's very worth it to gain a mastery and a familiarity with the instrument, which will allow you to to make your own music with ease.

I agree no harm can come from learning theory. but if you dont know how to play 1 single song, I would suggest learning some music 1st. Then you have something to relate that theory to.

learning theory without having played a song would be like learning grammar, before you ever uttered a word.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
I agree no harm can come from learning theory. but if you dont know how to play 1 single song, I would suggest learning some music 1st. Then you have something to relate that theory to.

learning theory without having played a song would be like learning grammar, before you ever uttered a word.

Meh. I learned about notes and how to read music and key signatures before I ever played a song on the Trumpet. Then again, hardly anybody first starts playing trumpet because they want to jam out with Satchmo
well i never wanted to learn a song couse i just wanted to make my own stuff witch i have.
the closest i ve come to learning songs is just learning bits and pieces and incorparating it into my music mostly just the rythum parts really and changing it a bit.not the whole thing like a coverband or somthing.

I just decided it be a good idea to start learning right now because leately ive gotten into a Guitar Stall, usually what i do to get out of them is just stop playing for 4 days and then start playing again, i dont know why but when i do this it just rejuvanates me and i start playing bettor but its hard to put my guitar down really so i havent done that. i like listening to the Beatles, Velvet Underground, Pepper, Chillipepers just regular stuff a Californian stoner would like. i didnt come to be critizeced i just came for some help i figured it would be good to learn two intermidiate songs from difrent genres to get out of this stall and expand my music abilities.
Quote by the-kid66(3)
well i never wanted to learn a song couse i just wanted to make my own stuff witch i have.
the closest i ve come to learning songs is just learning bits and pieces and incorparating it into my music mostly just the rythum parts really and changing it a bit.not the whole thing like a coverband or somthing.

I just decided it be a good idea to start learning right now because leately ive gotten into a Guitar Stall, usually what i do to get out of them is just stop playing for 4 days and then start playing again, i dont know why but when i do this it just rejuvanates me and i start playing bettor but its hard to put my guitar down really so i havent done that. i like listening to the Beatles, Velvet Underground, Pepper, Chillipepers just regular stuff a Californian stoner would like. i didnt come to be critizeced i just came for some help i figured it would be good to learn two intermidiate songs from difrent genres to get out of this stall and expand my music abilities.

I wasn't criticizing.... just giving advice. Im not much for candy coating it... it is what it is.

writing your own music is great. Most people start by learning songs that they like.... or just learning music period. You dont have to do that, but I would highly recommend it. Keep being creative though, and writing your own music if you are inspired to do that.

btw... there are lots of good songs to learn by the bands you mentioned. Pick one and go for it.... if it doesnt work out........ pick another.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 22, 2008,
i just started by hamering and learning chords first just power chords and then C,E,A,F
you know all the colors of the rainbow it was just mess around who gives **** until i discovered marijuana and then things got alot bettor i was inspired by the music i heard to make my own ****, Marijuana just makes music alot more enjoyable than it already is, its like adding chocalete sprinkles to icecream you know if your into that sort of thing. but icecream by itself is great just the same.

EDIT: i advice if your not a smoker to atleast try it once with your favriote album whatever it maybe, I only wish i found out about it earlier in my life.
Last edited by the-kid66(3) at Mar 22, 2008,
^OH **** sorry.
take it back, drugs bad, im a good republican i have never touched the stuff, never even seen it. **** dems and there evil ways.
Get out of hear it isnt like im telling them to go shoot up, smoke meth, pop pills, or drink hard liqour.

But in all seriousness any more suggestions on the subject.
I don't understand what you hope to accomplish by being an asshole. People are in here giving you helpful advice, and all you can do is sit and talk about about awesome you think you are at playing guitar, when you only know a few open chords and attribute all of your supposed amazing music to drug use.
^ I never said it was amazing man Im taking in what ur saying, i dont think im being an asshole but apparently i am hahahahahahhaha that always crack me up. those arenet the only chords i know i just ****ing forget the names and even if i did i wouldnt sit here and type all of them down. Apparently im way in over my head, im still ganna try to learn music thoery(doubt ill fully understand it), but i just tought it would be easier just to learn diffrent types of music.
Well my friend thanks for the link, and by the way isnt it much nicer calling people assholes over the internet as opposed to there face. I dont see how i have a offended you to call me an asshole like that but all the same im sorry and i hold nothing against you.
But like i said more songs that UGers suggest would be a great help.
especially in the country and funk genre as i rarely listen to them but dont mind listening to.
Quote by the-kid66(3)
Well my friend thanks for the link, and by the way isnt it much nicer calling people assholes over the internet as opposed to there face. I dont see how i have a offended you to call me an asshole like that but all the same im sorry and i hold nothing against you.

I wasn't offended. I was simply observing and commenting on your behavior.
Quote by the-kid66(3)
Get out of hear it isnt like im telling them to go shoot up, smoke meth, pop pills, or drink hard liqour.
It not as if you bluntly (pun intended) told people to smoke marijuana, there committing a crime.

BTW, don't do drugs to enhance your playing creativity. You'll think you're great when you're high/drunk, but if you've ever heard someone play whilst high/drunk, they suck.
^well yes obviosly thats a given.
At first but once you get more tolerant its easier, i dont think its the same with beer tough couse with weed you could only get so high before you find a cloud and just chill out, and sure its breaking the law here in the states but keep in mind that we got many in UG who live in other countries.
And smoking weed is like J-walking who gives a ****, and as far as drugs go heroin, meth, cocaine, pills, drinking, (none of witch i do by the way just drink hard liqour every onece in a while since its healthier than beer and thats all you really want alcohol and none if that other stuff they put in beer) everyone has there own way of going to hell so i say **** it, as long as your not hurting anyone physically or interferring with other peoples freedoms. and i think there has to be a certain counter balance to all these "above the influence" **** and thats people like me
Quote by the-kid66(3)
^well yes obviosly thats a given.
At first but once you get more tolerant its easier, i dont think its the same with beer tough couse with weed you could only get so high before you find a cloud and just chill out, and sure its breaking the law here in the states but keep in mind that we got many in UG who live in other countries.
And smoking weed is like J-walking who gives a ****, and as far as drugs go heroin, meth, cocaine, pills, drinking, (none of witch i do by the way just drink hard liqour every onece in a while since its healthier than beer and thats all you really want alcohol and none if that other stuff they put in beer) everyone has there own way of going to hell so i say **** it, as long as your not hurting anyone physically or interferring with other peoples freedoms. and i think there has to be a certain counter balance to all these "above the influence" **** and thats people like me

Guess what? Nobody cares. It's the rules of this board. Go to the drug thread in The Pit if you feel the need to talk about it.

And what BGC says up there is true. I've tried it
Good God. This isn't a political thread, and nobody cares about your rational for using drugs. This is a place to discuss composition and music theory, not weed. Go argue in the pit.

And for the love of God, your posts lack any semblance of grammar or structure. Maybe if you used English...
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Well if you dont give a **** then stop reading, get the **** of the thread stop making replies for me to respond to, honestly do you have nothing bettor to do than come on hear and comment on my stupid rhetoric and mummbling, god people like you piss me off, you sound like an old guy on a porch telling the kids across the street to stop being a menace to society and appli themeselve or some **** like that "hey you whipper snappers stop making such a ruckus with those skateboards", "well **** you old man if you dont like it call the cops or put some earplugs on".
Quote by Archeo Avis

And for the love of God, your posts lack any semblance of grammar or structure. Maybe if you used English...

You would.

edit: ^ RAAAAWWWRR!!! >=O

Don't expect us to change our rules just because of you. This board isn't for talking about drugs. It's for talking about music theory, technique, and composition. If you have any questions, feel free to ask

edit edit: You edit your signature in the control panel, up at the top of the page.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Good God. This isn't a political thread, and nobody cares about your rational for using drugs. This is a place to discuss composition and music theory, not weed. Go argue in the pit.

And are you really that obsesed with cammas and grammer and crap to the point were you cant make out what im saying, are you really so smart at that crap that its actually made you retarded and unable to read what im saying right now, if thats the case then what im typing right now i guese your anable to read, but if its not this aint a ****ing English class so piss off.
*reported *
for falsely reporting me.
seriesly how do i put that into my sig so i could join the club.
Oh and moderator i please tell this guy hes out of his mind.
Don't double post, moron. You were reported for spamming.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis

You're going a little over the top in your bluntness, Arch.
Quote by CowboyUp
You're going a little over the top in your bluntness, Arch.

Archeo doesn't go over the top, he goes right through. That's how I roll.
Quote by Archeo Avis

*reported*
flaming i was deeply offended that you called me a moron, i dont even know who you are.
I am truly sorry I missed this, damn it. Archeo, maybe you shouldn't be so insistent; he proved that he could use "cammas and grammer"...

Wow.
Quote by :-D
I am truly sorry I missed this, damn it. Archeo, maybe you shouldn't be so insistent; he proved that he could use "cammas and grammer"...

Wow.

It's not even a hard thing to do either. It only takes a few slight milliseconds to type the extra characters, and its good practice for formal typing.
Page 1 of 2