I was reading up on project guitar bout how they'd recommend that someone shouldn't use krylon clearcoat, because it will still be soft, even after it cures for quite some time.

Now, i'm not sure what I should do, because I've got 3 cans of krylon gloss clear, and I don't want them to go to waste. What are some other alternatives? there's polyurethane, but does poly come in a spray can like acrylic? If it does, would I be able to use it over the acrylic? because I don't want the other cans to go to waste.

I don't know too much about painting, but I do know that I want a paintjob that won't end up scratching and 'denting' easily.

what other options are there?
Last edited by Guerrilla Radio at Mar 22, 2008,
I haven't used it on guitars yet, but the Duplicolor acrylic clearcoats have worked very well for some of the automotive painting I've done. You can get them in spray form at most auto stores, I usually pick it up from Checker Auto Parts when I need some for little project here and there.

I don't know how well it will play with other brands of paint though (I'd stick with the same brand and type of primer, paint, and clearcoat.)
Don't use the krylon, I used it on some of my car interior junk before... crap. Will never use it again. It's very runny, the nozzle on the can sucks, and it's not very protective when it dries.

My reccomendation is go with poly and not acrylic as well, I've just had better experiences with poly.
Man... well I've got 1 can of red primer from rustoleum, 2 cans of red from rustoleum, and 3 cans of clear from krylon... I wonder if I can bring the cans back to walmart and get store credit or something.

I'll have to look for a bunch of poly cans then instead of acrylic. thanks guys.
Quote by Guerrilla Radio
Man... well I've got 1 can of red primer from rustoleum, 2 cans of red from rustoleum, and 3 cans of clear from krylon... I wonder if I can bring the cans back to walmart and get store credit or something.

I'll have to look for a bunch of poly cans then instead of acrylic. thanks guys.

Krylon Clearcoat is fine. Acrylic lacquer cures really hard. Consider that Duplicolor, the car paint is also Acrylic. As I understand it, Krylon and Duplicolor roll from the same factory.

Crash Matto, who painted 3 of Clapton's Crashocasters, uses Krylon.

To avoid runs, make sure to shake the can twice as long as recommended *and* keep the distance a few inches more than recommended. Don't forget to shake the can as you admire your work, about every 2 minutes.

The pros say to wait 2 weeks to a month to start buffing/polishing so it can fully cure. I believe them; however, on my last 2 projects (2nd and 3rd mod), I immediately installed the hardware, instead of waiting, and I haven't had any issues. In fact, my 3rd documented mod, I finished from primer to final clear in less than 2 days, installed the hardware about 2 hours after the clear, then gigged it (see links below)

It looks glossy wet still, no dings or dents ... but then I'm fussy about keeping my guitars looking new.

Probably the best spray can auto paint would be from Alsa Corp. Their stuff is expensive, but much better than Krylon. Their Killer Can system comes in some great colors, and effects. They dry and cure real fast.

If it's OK with the mods, I'll post links.
Quote by Ippon
The pros say to wait 2 weeks to a month to start buffing/polishing so it can fully cure. I believe them; however, on my last 2 projects (2nd and 3rd mod), I immediately installed the hardware, instead of waiting, and I haven't had any issues. In fact, my 3rd documented mod, I finished from primer to final clear in less than 2 days, installed the hardware about 2 hours after the clear, then gigged it (see links below)

It looks glossy wet still, no dings or dents ... but then I'm fussy about keeping my guitars looking new.

Alright, so I'll probably give it a good amount of time to cure before I start more work on it. thanks for the info.
i used minwax clear gloss polyur.... spray. it was like 5 bucks a can at home depot, it had an excellent nozzle and worked excellent on my evh replica. strongly reccomended