I'm having a really hard time getting down to what this is.

cn n e 1 plz hlp m3
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
A broad social critical trend that spans philsopohy, art and nearly everything.

lol
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
if i were going to sum it up in one word, that word would be 'interconnectedness'.

basically, the essential principle is that everything is connected to and related to everything else. obviously. this can be extended in various ways, and a lot of it is to do with how our perceptions of the world are shaped by our experiences, how everything we do is shaped by everything else we ever have done. nothing is isolated from everything else, no action exists in a vacuum.

something like that.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
if i were going to sum it up in one word, that word would be 'interconnectedness'.

basically, the essential principle is that everything is connected to and related to everything else.

Explain?

I've only really encountered it in philosophy and that would lead me to use one word 'destruction' to describe it.
^^i edited. i hope it elucidates some more.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Mar 22, 2008,
It does thanks, that's probably a more insightful way of looking at it than mine, even in philosophy.
Quote by meh!
Explain?

I've only really encountered it in philosophy and that would lead me to use one word 'destruction' to describe it.

don't think "destruction" think deconstruction... get it? You are breaking down the basic assumptions about everything to look at how they are really connected and dependent on everything else.

It's too damn hard to give a definition because there isn't really one, it means a lot of different things. It's a lot like modernism, but with added emphasis on connectivity and deconstruction.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
don't think "destruction" think deconstruction... get it? You are breaking down the basic assumptions about everything to look at how they are really connected and dependent on everything else.

It's too damn hard to give a definition because there isn't really one, it means a lot of different things. It's a lot like modernism, but with added emphasis on connectivity and deconstruction.

It does both to be honest, if i look at the way logic is being interpreted nowadays i would call it deconstruction. However, the postmodern reaction to Christianity that I wrote an essay about i would certainly call destruction.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=233069937&MyToken=ed767a35-17b6-49d3-ae5b-32fdd279403a(you better be thanking me Tom and Jeremiah!)

Here's some Post Moderns Sounds for all you post moderners.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Mar 22, 2008,
you could say postmodernists think of perception of an object/trend/whatever being more important than the actual existence of the object/trend/etc.

so... Objective truths don't really exist, we only intrepret objects and events certain ways because of the social constructions that we are connected to. Chritianity would be one of those constuctions or "discourses."

I don't see how that's particularly destructive of Christianity. Not any moreso than the last 400 years of thought anyway.
Quote by StreetLight3989
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=233069937&MyToken=ed767a35-17b6-49d3-ae5b-32fdd279403a(you better be thanking me Tom and Jeremiah!)

Here's some Post Moderns Sounds for all you post moderners.

love em, but srsly don't spam
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
Quote by bah humbug
love em, but srsly don't spam

It's not really spam, it does have to do with Post Modernism kind of . I'll take it down if you want.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by StreetLight3989
It's not really spam, it does have to do with Post Modernism kind of . I'll take it down if you want.

ha it's fine
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
Quote by dullsilver_mike
you could say postmodernists think of perception of an object/trend/whatever being more important than the actual existence of the object/trend/etc.

so... Objective truths don't really exist, we only intrepret objects and events certain ways because of the social constructions that we are connected to. Chritianity would be one of those constuctions or "discourses."

I don't see how that's particularly destructive of Christianity. Not any moreso than the last 400 years of thought anyway.

The removal of objective truth would be highly damaging to any religion, what's the point if we can't say what is and isn't, what's wrong and right. Christianity is our religion.

But then, if you're saying that's what post-modernism is, then it's roots are in the past 400 years of thought. Blergh!!
Quote by bah humbug
I'm having a really hard time getting down to what this is.

cn n e 1 plz hlp m3

it's the pits, mang.

One of the things that it's doing is disillusioning reality. For example, look at our media (especially the subtle stuff..that's what tears down the walls most effectively) and tell me that u can't find one thing that's disillusioning our society on what's REALLY real (*cough rap music videos cough*)
Quote by meh!
The removal of objective truth would be highly damaging to any religion, what's the point if we can't say what is and isn't, what's wrong and right. Christianity is our religion.
!!

See I agree it would affect christianity 400 or even 200 years ago, but contemporary Christians have already managed to reconcile a skeptical and subjective world so I don't really see it as an issue. IMO the great age of Western athiesm was really the Victorian and Early Modernist periods. Now people acknowledge and live by conflicting views of reality every day, they are used to it.

Also, postmodernism doesn't have some manifesto declaring that no objective truths exist, that's just the conclusion you reach if you take its approach to deconstruction to its fullest possible extent. Something I don't think a lot of people do.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
See I agree it would affect christianity 400 or even 200 years ago, but contemporary Christians have already managed to reconcile a skeptical and subjective world so I don't really see it as an issue. IMO the great age of Western athiesm was really the Victorian and Early Modernist periods. Now people acknowledge and live by conflicting views of reality every day, they are used to it.

Also, postmodernism doesn't have some manifesto declaring that no objective truths exist, that's just the conclusion you reach if you take its approach to deconstruction to its fullest possible extent. Something I don't think a lot of people do.

Contemporary Christians have only managed this by entirely diluting what it means to be a Christian and believe in general. This isn't the age of great anything, we don't have the same extremes we used to have but that's still an awesome destruction as far as I can tell;can you imagine what pop pious the V (or whatever) would think of Roman Catholics nowadays :s.

And no, people don't take it to it's conclusion, obviously most people don't consider it conciously but it doesn't need to have a huge affect.

Yes, they can call it religion but does it really mean what it meant 200 or 400 years ago? I don't think so, and I think that's important.

Though, you seem more knowledagble about this than me. Also, I obviously realise that post modernism doesn't have 'rules'