Is my 2008 20 fret american fender jazz short scale or long scale?
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
Not short scale. It's 34", I think that's medium? I always thought long was 35", but it might be 34".
Usually the scale lengths are defined as follows:

Short scale = 30-32" scale

Long scale = 33-35"

Extra-long scale = 36-38"
lol so does it really make a difference if i buy short, medium, or long scale strings? i'm gonna buy long scale rotosounds off ebay..

okay thanks smb. so my jazz is long scale..
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Extra long 36"
Long 34"
Medium 32"
Short 30"

Also, there's a few in-betweens. But let's keep it simple for now.
long
34 is long
35 is extra long
32 is medium
?? is short
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Oh btw... how's the new 2008 Jazz? Can you compare it to the old S-1 Jazz? Do you have it with the maple neck? If so, how does the satin neck and the gloss fretboard look/feel?
It's worth noting that some basses need longer scale strings than their scale length suggests, due to headstock and bridge design. The Ovation Magnum springs to mind. That's obviously not the case with Fenders though.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Oh btw... how's the new 2008 Jazz? Can you compare it to the old S-1 Jazz? Do you have it with the maple neck? If so, how does the satin neck and the gloss fretboard look/feel?

Oh man, the bass is just incredible. I haven't tried the old s-1 switch jazzes, but i know the 08's have new tuners, bridge, a lighter body, new finish, and higher attention to nut work and fretwork. And the neck.. mine is maple. gloss fretboard looks amazing. and the neck is extremely fast because of how incredibly smooth it is - doesn't become slower when your hands become sweaty, unlike more glossyish necks..

Anyways..

I'm also buying some RotoSound RS77LD Flatwounds for my old Ibanez that i'm defretting sometime soon.. What's your guys' thoughts on these strings? The sound clip on rotosound's site sounded awesome.
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Quote by -zj*

Anyways..

I'm also buying some RotoSound RS77LD Flatwounds for my old Ibanez that i'm defretting sometime soon.. What's your guys' thoughts on these strings? The sound clip on rotosound's site sounded awesome.

Oh, they're quite lovely. Typical flatwound sound with just a touch of brightness. I have a set on my FL right now.