So Today I went into town, looking for a good guitar and i saw two guitars that caught my eye. They both are quite different, but are excellent guitars.

One was a Gibson Les Paul Studio. It was a used guitar, but it still played like a dream. the finish is in wine red. some cosmetic flaws, but it still sounded like the real deal. Price was about 550$ (great buy right?)

The Other was a MIM strat. I really liked the feel of the neck on the strat. Since i have an Epiphone SG special, I'm used to the finished neck. The raw maple seemed so comfortable to me. The single coils were great, but i was thinking of puttings Seymour Duncans in. Maybe in chrome red finish or 3-tone sunburst.

I play a lot of rock. Generally, AC/DC, Led Zep, Wolfmother etc. But my SG already has humbuckers, and I wanted to extend my tonal options with some new single coils. I also play Jimi Henrix and bit of blues, but i'm mostly a hard rock guy. I'm torn between the two. Any suggestions?
LES PAUL, i mean cmon a strat? nothing compared to the les paul and it s a gibson so get it!
sounds like the strat is ur guitar, your sg cna easily handle all ur hardrock
most deffinatly the les paul, it'll hold value (somewhat) over time, whereas the MIM won't, and also it's just a more quality guitar. you can always add some coil taps to make the LP more versatile.
Wow, andy331 you fail so bad.

So you're saying anything with the Gibson name is good?

Btw, strats are literally the most versatile guitars along with PRS.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by andy331
LES PAUL, i mean cmon a strat?

Dont take advice from people like this.
I personally like LP's but strats are great.
Quote by crzywhiteboy
Dont take advice from people like this.
I personally like LP's but strats are great.

+1
May i remind you guys that the les paul was a used guitar. I don't know how long, or who the previous owner was, so I don't really know how much longer the pickups will last. But anyway, since i didn't bring my camera with me, some pics to help decide.

Les Paul Wine Red, gold hardware- http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/LPSTWRGH1.JPG

MIM strat, chrome red, maple fretboard-
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/0794904c4b5fd6dfa3ca690905540329.jpg
I don't like strats at all. That said, it sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.

Edit - the lp in the picture looks so much cooler. not that that really matters, though.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
I would go for the strat. Rrhoads47 is right, your SG can handle your louder stuff.
Quote by zapatista89
you know the music from zelda that plays when you open a chest? that played in my head reading that headline.
holy sh*t! gibson les paul studio for $550? you must be insane not to get that!!!
even at full price, i'd get that over the strat
$550 is amazing price
well if you like the strat, but want to but some sd's in it try looking at jackson. they have similar necks except the jackson is thinner and they come with seymour duncans standard
IMO I hate fenders Alot, but hell if it feels good to you then get it, dont listen to people just because someone else likes another brand, dont ever listen to people over the internet alot, you have to try and figure out what is right for you, dont get stuff over the internet go to a dealer and try it before you buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Chad11491
most deffinatly the les paul, it'll hold value (somewhat) over time, whereas the MIM won't, and also it's just a more quality guitar. you can always add some coil taps to make the LP more versatile.

This is true. The LP definitely is gorgeous (I splooged when I looked at that pic) and you can add coil taps. If you're worried about the electronics I don't see why you can't ask the shop to check the electronics for you.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Wow, andy331 you fail so bad.

So you're saying anything with the Gibson name is good?

Btw, strats are literally the most versatile guitars along with PRS.

i don't know if you were replying to me, but i didn't mean that i would get it just because it's a Gibson, i meant an American guitar , ie. that Gibson, will hold it's value more than the Mexican strat, the TS could probably even sell the Gibson immediately after buying it for around 850 if it's in decent condition and make a profit, and if he wanted an American strat, go buy one of those new off the shelf. assuming he could haggle them down a hundred bucks. also, ts, don't worry about the pickups, they last a very long time, most problems with pickups are bad connections, at least when I've had problems.