These guys are one of my favs and I want to be similar to them without ripping them off obviously. What things can i practise (other than their stuff) to get a better idea of how they write and really just what do I need to know for progressive in general?
Just change key about every ten seconds lol. Actually I have no clue I'm looking for the exact same thing.

<notice my avatar
Quote by Cofflecakes
Quote by laurens666
Use the search button.
Thats the worst metal amp I've ever used...

lol
Nice... the dissentience is so awesome. Their guitars are crazy and I just wanna jam it all out but its not really workn
Just look at tabs and play (try to play) some of the songs and get a feel for some of their progressions. I love how in Blood Meat they completely change pace going into the chorus.
Quote by Cofflecakes
Quote by laurens666
Use the search button.
Thats the worst metal amp I've ever used...

lol
heavy riffs, arpeggios, epic choruses, crazy tapping

lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Go Back to their Early Stuff. Led Astray is a good place to start. Then just learn all their stuff. I did. I write stuff similar to it all the time.
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
their lyrics read like straight up poetry. seems like they write the lyrics without any conception of a song and then just fit the lyrics around the music. they also use very little, if any, repetition.