hi all, after looking at some of the great guitar builds on here i have decided to do one myself in the far future.but where does a beginner start.I have a shed where i can work but what tools are essential to a guitar builder and how expensive are they?Where can i learn about different woods used for building(pros & cons)?Are there any good sites out there geared towards a beginner?Also where can I learn about what a quality guitar is?(for me quality was just good action,good intonation,holds its tuning well and good quiet electrics)but seemingly there is more to it than that.All info is appreciated,thanks!
Before you even start thinking about building you need to decide on things like if you're going to make a guitar or a bass, what type of wood you’ll use, the scale length of the instrument, how many frets it will have, pickups, of course a solid template...the list goes on. There are some great books on making your own guitars on Amazon if you don't have one. It will save you a huge amount of trial and error on your first build.
thanks all,is it expensive for all the gear just to be prepared for when you get down to doing it,my friend is excellent at woodwork and has alot of expensive power tools for joinery so i could maybe get him involved in a project,i am unemployed at the mo so i'll need a job first to get some cash together.
Start with a book. It's a small investment to get a solid grounding in guitar building. Here are a couple of books I reviewed:

Building Electric Guitars

and

Make Your Own Electric Guitar.

These two books teach you about wood selection, what tools you'll need/want and take you through the steps of building guitars. You could try to piece the information from all over the Internet but the likelihood is you'll end up with a fragmented understanding of the process. Save yourself the headache.

If you can't afford to buy them at this point, check out your local library system. I own these but I was surprised to find that these and several others were available.

And if you prefer an ebook there's Building Electric Guitars Ebook

Another great resource is the Project Guitar Forum - a site dedicated to guitar building. It's primarily amateur guitar builders sharing their builds, knowledge and experience but you'll also find a number of professional builders there as well. I spent a month just reading through the site before I got around to posting my first question way back when.

Regards,

Robert
Last edited by ririzarry at Mar 9, 2009,
hi ririzarry,thanks for all the info,i checked out the 12 page strat build on one of the forums you mentioned,unfortunately i don't think i got what it takes to build myself a guitar yet I think i'll try building a strat from custom parts first,I think i could do that!thanks again though for all the info,much appreciated!
#1 - Make you own electric giutar by melvyn hiscock

#2 - A plan. You can't go wrong.
Quote by Allycuk
hi ririzarry,thanks for all the info,i checked out the 12 page strat build on one of the forums you mentioned,unfortunately i don't think i got what it takes to build myself a guitar yet I think i'll try building a strat from custom parts first,I think i could do that!thanks again though for all the info,much appreciated!

I'm glad that was helpful! Building from parts isn't a bad place to start either. You may want to check this book out if you're looking to go that route - Build Your Own Electric Guitar - Custom Assembly Made Easy. It's specifically about assembling from parts. The book is a bit older but still relevant.

Regards,

Robert
Last edited by ririzarry at Mar 9, 2009,
There are some good books that my father picked up from www.stewmac.com that are full of detail for the first time. We are still in our first build. We used some wood we had around the house for the body and ordered everything else from the Stew-Mac site. Cost us about $260 CDN for everything besides our body.
to answer your first question ill tell you this, you cant ask people that question because you can build a guitar with very few tools or very many tools. You should look over your plans and books and for every step of the build think how you can accomplish it. Personally i have all of the big tools for the job so I can do most things the most efficient way, most people do not have many tools, just because you dont have big tools though doesnt mean you cant do it you just need to find a way to work with what you have, and if you have nothing, you'll need to come up with a list of things. ill tell you now though, it'll be tough to do it with no drill press, jigsaw, chisels, drill bits, sand paper, and a few more of the basics.
thanks again!there is tons of useful stuff from all yall.I've dreamed about building one since i was about 13 years old so it is a project i will tackle one day but hell i had trouble trying to sort one of my guitars with just a set up which means I'm gonna need to study the basic mechanics of how a guitar works before even attempting it to build a quality instrument takes great care and precision,this atleast i do know.but again thanks to everyone who replied