Page 1 of 2
So, I don't really understand Easter, as the holiday. If your religious (which, I am atheist), I can see the birth and death of Christ. Im ok with all that jazz, my problem comes with, how did it turn into Jesus death and re-birth to a ****ing bunny with chocolate and gift? I don't see a connection here.
Quote by pimpslap1236
the cops will lie to you. accept it. believing things they say is the intellectual equivalent of sticking your dick in a pencil sharpener.

R.I.P Samantha
according to some stories, a rabbit was the first creature to see the resurrected jesus (oooh no capitilization) and its supposed to be symbollic
Peter Cottontail is real pope! Don't believe the li-*is shot by pope*
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Last edited by Bubban at Mar 23, 2008,
Quick! Jesus Is Back, Hide The Eggs! Hide The Eggs!
Quote by National_Anthem
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Worst-Atheists (because 90% of them are arrogant bastards)
Best- Music

90% of people are arrogant bastards, regardless of religion.
It relates to Valentines Day being a holiday created by itself sort of. There's no story behind it about love. It was created by politics in order to raise money. The Easter Bunny and the chocolate and what not was created for that reason as well, money.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by nt1440
according to some stories, a rabbit was the first creature to see the resurrected jesus (oooh no capitilization) and its supposed to be symbollic

I can't say I have ever read a bible passage that said (I did read the bible as well) about the bunny, If it is such a significant symbol, you'd think it would appear more frequently.
Quote by pimpslap1236
the cops will lie to you. accept it. believing things they say is the intellectual equivalent of sticking your dick in a pencil sharpener.

R.I.P Samantha
who cares? Any reason to get candy is a good reason.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Wtf did that rabbit just lay an egg?!
Damn, we better hide this from Jesus.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
Quote by Courchesne
I can't say I have ever read a bible passage that said (I did read the bible as well) about the bunny, If it is such a significant symbol, you'd think it would appear more frequently.

hey im just going with what they "taught" us in bible school
We actually debated this a lot in my World History class.
Some people believe that since the original holiday was for rebirth, (rebirth of jesus) the rabbit was chosen to express it's rebirth because the rabbit is so fertile in reproduction.
Also, it was believed that it happened around when winter ended, and the world was renewed into spring (Flowers, trees getting leaves again) and that the rabbit was a symbol of spring.
And the chocolate, well. Who doesn't like chocolate? Just a clever marketing gimmick to make people buy more candy, really.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Theory: corporations saw an opportunity to make money so they introduced the easter bunny and eggs and what not so that they can profit off of all of us. They saw this as another christmas and looked to profit off of this though not as big.

Of course this is just a crazy theory w/o any research.
Last edited by killbox2490 at Mar 23, 2008,
I believe the above statement about the rabbit is true. (Not necessarily religiously, but that's the story)

Traditionally, all Easter Eggs were hollow. The hollow egg represents Jesus's tomb, which on Sunday, was empty, like the egg.

I come from a pretty religious family, but I'm not really religious... Well I'm not at all, I believe that a god or multiple gods are possible, but not probable. I'm more of a free-thinking person I guess lol
The early Christians simply adopted a date near to an existing spring festival. The rabbit and egg thing is a hangover from that. As for chocolate - that was just a marketing idea someone had.
its a hallmark holiday
Quote by wmzbomgzors
oh I wanna **** that ******* ***** ** ***** so hard that she ****** ***** in my ****** ***.

Quote by Slinov
unfortunatley it makes your breath smell like an italian just took a sh*t in your mouth
well, think about christmas. fat guys in unlivable climates and toys around the world? seems a bit worse than a bunny and some eggs.
ok...easter is really jesus got crucified, got put in a tomb, then three days later, everybody opened the tomb, a bunny was inside, it crapped out a plastic egg and out came jesus....then the bunny ate everybody and turned them into "chocolate"
Damn! We have a questioner!

*Wears rabbit suit*
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Dude, go ask the easter bunny at the mall, He'll tell the whole "easter bunny" people, and guess what? your father is one of them.

Yes I like southpark as well.
Back before Christianity ruled the world, there was a Pagan celebration in spring for fertility. What represents fertility better than eggs and bunnies, as unrelated as the two may be? In an attempt to make their religion more appealing to everyone, the Christian church decided to tack their holiday onto this pagan celebration, creating the opportunity for pagans to convert to christianity.
Yep.
Quote by killbox2490
Theory: corporations saw an opportunity to make money so they introduced the easter bunny and eggs and what not so that they can profit off of all of us. They saw this as another christmas and looked to profit off of this though not as big.

Of course this is just a crazy theory w/ any research.

Agreed, but I want to meet the dude who sat there and thought "A giant ass bunny with chocolate eggs"..I wish i had a ounce of what he was smoking
Quote by pimpslap1236

R.I.P Samantha
If you're an athiest it doesn't matter to you.
Go contemplate your superiority to Christians instead, I'm sure it will do you good.

But if you're really going to question this, consider an even bigger one- Christmas.
We went from the birth of Christ, which isn't accurate in the first place, to fat men and giving presents to people we hate.
Then we've St. Patrick's day, where we celebrate him by drinking alchohol and pinching people.

I could go on, but I suppose in the end, the only real answer is tradition.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by Courchesne
So, I don't really understand Easter, as the holiday. If your religious (which, I am atheist), I can see the birth and death of Christ. Im ok with all that jazz, my problem comes with, how did it turn into Jesus death and re-birth to a ****ing bunny with chocolate and gift? I don't see a connection here.
That's because ...

THERE IS NO CONNECTION.

/threa... WAIT!

Quote by civildp1
who cares? Any reason to get candy is a good reason.

/thread.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
The hollow egg is actually a Russian traditon.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Quote by urik
Damn! We have a questioner!

*Wears rabbit suit*

Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?

Quote by National_Anthem
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Best- Music

Quote by NorfIrIon
Go contemplate your superiority to Christians instead, I'm sure it will do you good.

But if you're really going to question this, consider an even bigger one- Christmas.
We went from the birth of Christ, which isn't accurate in the first place, to fat men and giving presents to people we hate.
Then we've St. Patrick's day, where we celebrate him by drinking alchohol and pinching people.

Yep, I thought of them all, but seeing as Easter is right now, I thought it would be best fitting.
Quote by pimpslap1236

R.I.P Samantha
Quote by zakky_s
ok...easter is really jesus got crucified, got put in a tomb, then three days later, everybody opened the tomb, a bunny was inside, it crapped out a plastic egg and out came jesus....then the bunny ate everybody and turned them into "chocolate"

Truth
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
Quote by Bubban
Peter Cottontail is real pope! Don't believe the li-*is shot by pope*

I don't...I don't think killing Jesus is very Christian.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The best explanation IMO and the one that makes most sense, AND the one that I have heard is the one mentioned about Christianity adopting a spring festival of it's own.

Most all religions/cultures have one...sadly, most of the big holiday's that have religious roots are very contrived and/or over-commercialized.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by Jabman

I'm a member of a secret organization designed to protect the easter bunny.

*Ninjas break in to the house*

Oh shit! Ninjas! To the choppah!
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by Jabman

Why do you wear that stupid man suit?

Quote by National_Anthem
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Best- Music

Quote by NorfIrIon

was that a stab at atheists? i am one and i dont beleive im better than anyone
I thought eggs represented birth, like Jesus's rebirth...and the rabbits represent that faith multiplies like rabbits do. just a thought though.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by nt1440
was that a stab at atheists? i am one and i dont beleive im better than anyone

Most do, and most take stabs at me, too, so, you know, if it doesn't apply to you, just ignore it and be glad that you really are better than those who can only think they are.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
I don't think it matters...

Alls i know is one special Sunday a year i get chocolate from my mother in an attempt to lure me back home...and I'm not ashamed to say it works...every year...then i take my candy and high-tail it out of there.

Plus...

Balls to Christianity and it's fairytale culture

/narrow minded assface
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by NorfIrIon
Most do, and most take stabs at me, too, so, you know, if it doesn't apply to you, just ignore it and be glad that you really are better than those who can only think they are.

thank you. and i find it ironic that there are atheists that constantly complain about how religions force their views, yet by countering others religious views they are in turn pushing atheism (not a religion but still the same)

true atheists should just not practice a religion and keep to themselves
Because chocolate bunnies are more marketable than crucifixes and eggs are tastier than Jesus's blood.
When I hit 'em from the back, I got them mami's saying dammit man.

When I put it in their mouth, I got them mami's saying duh-huh-huh-muhh.
Quote by iTzMaTT
It relates to Valentines Day being a holiday created by itself sort of. There's no story behind it about love. It was created by politics in order to raise money. The Easter Bunny and the chocolate and what not was created for that reason as well, money.

It was not "created by politics" lol. St. Valentine is a saint and February 14th is when Catholics celebrate his feast day. Capitalism has just turned it into a tradition rather than a religious holiday now.
Page 1 of 2