So I just installed my straplocks today. First time I played a guitar with a strap standing and...it sucked. A lot. I couldn't play anything and it was very uncomfortable. I've gotten used to play sitting down, and I did expect some adjustment to be necessary but this is a lot.

My friend suggested that I pull up the strap really high (Tom Morello :P) and then gradually lower it till I'm satisfied.

Now you may ask, just play how's comfortable! While that is true, it's comfortable for my hands when it's high, but not my shoulder/body, so I'm going to have to find a happy medium.

Was my friend's suggestion right? Any other methods you guys know?

Thanks.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
Sit down with the guitar in your lap and adjust the strap so that when you stand up it stays at the same position. You'll get used to it soon!
Hmmm....your friend seems right. I used to play low...then I purposely adjusted it high for better technique...and now it's about midway. Either way...don't worry about it!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
I spose it depends on what style you play. I would say it might even just pay to stay sitting, but if you're into up-beat stuff, you'll be wanting to get up and jump around. I reckon Milagroso's onm the money, do that. The worst thing you could do is just go with what looks cool, "Johnny Ramone style" thats going to get you nowhere
Well I don't wanna do it to just look cool, but at the seame time I don't wanna look like an idiot, ya know?
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
Quote by CrushedCan
Well I don't wanna do it to just look cool, but at the seame time I don't wanna look like an idiot, ya know?

You will never look like an idiot if you can play well...

Obviously the exception goes to Morrello, as he always looks like an idiot, but eh.

Seriously though, I used to play REALLY low, then I raised it pretty high because I realized I was teaching myself terrible technique, now I play just low enough where I can keep my grip solid and don't have to reach for anything. Idk, it just kinda worked itself out with time for me I guess. I hated playing standing up at first too now it doesn't really matter, but I love standing because I get to walk/head bang/etc...

YES I HEAD BAND WITH MY CHEAP SCHECTER AND BC RICH SS AMP IN MY ROOM, AND I'M ****ING PROUD!!!

Oh god... I hope I didn't just type that...
Quote by edusty2010
You will never look like an idiot if you can play well...

Obviously the exception goes to Morrello, as he always looks like an idiot, but eh.

Seriously though, I used to play REALLY low, then I raised it pretty high because I realized I was teaching myself terrible technique, now I play just low enough where I can keep my grip solid and don't have to reach for anything. Idk, it just kinda worked itself out with time for me I guess. I hated playing standing up at first too now it doesn't really matter, but I love standing because I get to walk/head bang/etc...

YES I HEAD BAND WITH MY CHEAP SCHECTER AND BC RICH SS AMP IN MY ROOM, AND I'M ****ING PROUD!!!

Oh god... I hope I didn't just type that...

Shhhhhh! If he hears you he will slap you with his Harvard Degree!!!
Its like the first time you play when you sit...

You have to get the right spot for your hand that is at the neck, so that when you stand it stays the same spot (With you thumb)
If you can't manage it, just play around when you stand up. I, too, just got around with it and started playing while i'm standing and its not easy, but it will come.

good luck
Playing standing up also helps if you have a quality guitar where it isn't neck or body heavy, but theres a nice medium to it.