So all the sweeping lessons tell you how to sweep. Great. Now what do I follow that up with in a solo? Legato, or what? Seriously, what the hell.
Quote by GeneralGrim
Yessir.
Ma'am, but whatever. It's not as if my sig says my name.

Anywho, listen to some of the great shredders and see how they apply sweeping. There is no right way to use it; you can do anything.
Quote by Avedas
Laughing too hard to help. Please apply yourself.

Sweeping is a technique like any other. Use it as a method in which to play certain types of phrases. A great way to put it to use is to follow by example and learn a few solos that include it. I recommend...

FERMENTED

OFFAL

DISCHARGE

*dun dug dug dug DUN dug dug dug DUNANANA!*
Quote by GeneralGrim
So all the sweeping lessons tell you how to sweep. Great. Now what do I follow that up with in a solo? Legato, or what? Seriously, what the hell.

Learn how sweeps fit in with what you want to play, there's no formula for how to incorporate them. Learn the building blocks of chord construction so you can build arpeggios as well as various common sweep shapes that you can use.

And as CowboyUp suggested, allow the prophet Muhammad (Suicmez) to show you how it's done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRD6mjrUMo
Lol....

Anyway, sweeps are typically another way to play arpeggios. You play them in solos and such the same way you would any other arpeggio. If you really think you know how to sweep, try learning inversions, added 7th, 9th, 13th, and so on and so forth. Once you have all those down, then you can really say that you know how to sweep.

Edit: Just to clarify, this is an example of sloppy and poor technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEydKC680Ik
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Last edited by Dimebag Dave at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by CowboyUp

FERMENTED

OFFAL

DISCHARGE

*dun dug dug dug DUN dug dug dug DUNANANA!*

3:15 - 4:27 Ov The Book of Suicmez, FOD!

Edit: sus2 and sus4 sweeps sound awesome and fit anywhere.
LOL. sorry man, but seriously...I thought sweeps were overrated but this just proves it.

Simplest answer: sweeps should be used whenever a solo would sound nicer with a sudden flurry of notes. And make sure your sweeps are clear and accurate. like 90% of people who say that can sweep do sloppy sloppy jobs. good luck.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Now that you can sweep you must learn the ancient art of the mop. But seriously, do whatever the hell you want with your sweeps. It's YOUR playing, and only you can decide how you want it to sound. May your mystical cleansing abilities serve you well, grasshopper.
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Quote by KryptNet
Simplest answer: sweeps should be used whenever a solo would sound nicer with a sudden flurry of notes.

I totally agree with that. Glasgow Kiss or Damage Control anyone?
i've never paid attention to necrophagist lyrics until now:

"To tear out the fetus, my aggressions do increase"

LMAO
Quote by KryptNet
LOL. sorry man, but seriously...I thought sweeps were overrated but this just proves it.

Simplest answer: sweeps should be used whenever a solo would sound nicer with a sudden flurry of notes. And make sure your sweeps are clear and accurate. like 90% of people who say that can sweep do sloppy sloppy jobs. good luck.

Or slow your sweeps down and use them just when you want those notes in a row. You shouldn't have a solo with a "sweeping section" a "tapping section" a "legato section" a "tremolo picking section" etc... Rather you should use all the techniques intermixed to produce a more interesting sound.
^ +1 million

mix all the good stuff together to do what kids? thats right..... emote feeling.
Flex some theoretical knowledge and learn to put together a sweeped chord progression with inversions to add some voice-led consistency.

Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Ok so you can sweep. Congrats. Now work on the sweeping/legato/tapping part in the solo of Dream Theater's Under a Glass Moon.