Ok, I've been playing for about a year now, and I'm going to be buying a new guitar and amp next week, probably an ESP. I just met some dude who I work with that has been playing for a couple years that's gonna be helping me test some stuff. I don't want to sound like a total n00b testing stuff out. What are some good riffs I could use? I'm looking for something in the metal genre prefferably something clean and something else distorted.
definetly play the intro to Stairway to heaven... once the staff knows you can play that... youll be free to play anything
Nemeis - Arch Enemy

sick ass song and easy I think?

I could play the whole song and I have been playing for 12 months so I think that it is easy enough plus a great listen to.
Quote by just17n8
definetly play the intro to Stairway to heaven... once the staff knows you can play that... youll be free to play anything

Lol.

Just make up some riffs.
Quote by just17n8

I'm already gonna dazzle them with Smoke on the Water so no need...
Technical Difficulties - Racer X, the intro sounds tight and not very difficult.
A5 Chromatic scale aka John Petrucci's Psycho Excersice, just do it for the lulz.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Twinkle Twinkle little star!

Play Death's Crystal Mountain and just chords or something for the clean ****. I don't think they'll really care as long as you're paying.
Quote by just17n8

Warning: You will get the sh*t kicked out of you..

Also, just play a couple of chords, no one cares.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by NorfIrIon
Warning: You will get the sh*t kicked out of you..

Also, just play a couple of chords, no one cares.

Well I need to know what it sounds like if I'm going to spend some money.
Anyone recomend and palm-muting heavy riffs?
Yes, Technical Difficulties! Damage Control by John Petrucci. Seriously, listen to these songs on YouTube.

Quote by SQHero
Yes, Technical Difficulties! Damage Control by John Petrucci. Seriously, listen to these songs on YouTube.

I'm very familiar with both songs, and let's just say most likely my skills aren't up to snuff. Other than maybe bits and pieces.
Wow, I was just about to answer when Island in the Sun - Weezer came up on my computer... That song is killer. Damage Control is not that hard; the intro is just a bunch of root fifths (P0wer Ch0rdz!).