Hey so I just came back from a Foo Fighters concert and I notice none of them were plugged into amps. So I gotta ask: 1)how does the amp pick it up, 2) do you need a special kinda of guitar/amp? 3)how much does it cost?

Sorry i'm kind of a noob. Thanks for helping.
They use a wireless system. These things kill tone and an average one cost around 300 dollars USD. The only way you need a wireless system is if you have to many things to trip on (not that kind of trip) or you have money to burn.

NOT A WIRELESS AMP
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Its not the amp its just a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter hooks up to the guitar and goes on your belt and the receiver hooks into the amp and usually is on top of the amp or somewhere on the rack. A good one will cost about $300-$1000.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by SQHero
They use a wireless system. These things kill tone and an average one cost around 300 dollars USD. The only way you need a wireless system is if you have to many things to trip on (not that kind of trip) or you have money to burn.

NOT A WIRELESS AMP

So their not recommended? Cause i'm pretty sure this is one of the first bands i've seen using them. White Stripes, Dropkicks, Slayer all were plugged in.
It depends. You'll need it if there are too many obstacles, on a large stage, or have too much cash.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by Gee-Tar1
So their not recommended? Cause i'm pretty sure this is one of the first bands i've seen using them. White Stripes, Dropkicks, Slayer all were plugged in.

If you want to do a load of stupid sh*t on stage without destroying everything and don't care about how you sound, do it, otherwise, don't.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Alot of bands use wireless, i prefer to jack directly into my amp, it gives u better tone imo.
I used a wireless the other night while playing bass with my pop-punk band, and I had a great time running around and jumping off of monitors into the crowd. Everyone went crazy and stuff. I guess with bass, it doesn't kill as much tone, because (bassists please don't flame me) tone isn't as much of an issue with bass as it is with guitar.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite