hai guys,

I've been on the lookout for a strat for a while now. Been checking ebay periodically and today I came across the following:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Stratocaster-1960s-re-issue-Japan-NOT-Mexico_W0QQitemZ280209649388QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you guys think? Worth the asking price? I'm pretty catious, I wouldn't usually buy over ebay but this seems to be a good deal.

I've never played a MIJ before, tho, and I'm not sure if it'd be better to drop the £200+ on this or just skip down to my local shop and get a new MIM for £300ish..

/e: And to UK folk: Have you ever bought from the US ebay? Is there a import charge? Because they are seriously CHEAP on the US site compared to the UK site.. so tempting but I don't want to get burned..
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Last edited by Highbinder at Mar 23, 2008,
CIJ fenders are really good. Better quality than MIMs, around MIA standard. but most of them sport basswood bodies. However, if you're fine with basswood bodies, then i suggest you go for it.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Yeah the Japan models are better than MIM but the seller is in Belfast, you have no way of trying it first and as you say, you can get a new MIM from your local shop for £300 and at least you can try a few first, I paid £288 for mine and I am very happy with it.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
I'll try it for you! Haha.

yah eBay.com is great for guitars, some places ship worldwide with shipping 70 quid to UK (Covering Customs, which is very good) etc. Just to find the right one for you.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
Sorry I had to do a conversion (205 GBP equals 406 USD). That's not bad at all, it looks like a nice Strat. Plus, most MIJ's are going for $600-800 now.
Ask for some better pics, that pic could be of anything Strat like.

Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by Andy Jarvis
Ask for some better pics, that pic could be of anything Strat like.

Better pics how? Like what? The neck pocket / back of the guitar / serial number ?

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Ippon
The last 10 seconds ...

BID. YOUR. MAXIMUM. OFFER.

I don't understand? I'm such an ebay newb.. why would it be better to do it that way?

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
Better pics how? Like what? The neck pocket / back of the guitar / serial number ?

The pic doesn't really show much apart from the business end of a Strat type guitar and from that angle it would be quite easy to hide any damage, I'm sure if the seller is genuine He/She will be only to happy to provide more info/pics.

I'm just very sceptical when it come to E-Bay.

Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by Highbinder
I don't understand? I'm such an ebay newb.. why would it be better to do it that way?

It's called sniping!

Say that the maximum you're willing to pay for it is £300.00, you don't want somebody to hit or figure out your maximum way before the auction ends.

Also, don't make it a whole number, bid something like £301.57 ... imagine winning the bid by £0.57 if somebody else's maximum bid is £301.00.

Well I've messaged the seller for some more pics, dunno if he'll get back to me theres only a few hours left on the bid.

The only thing my BS-radar picked up was the fact he says that ****ty unpadded gig bag is worth 60 buck. No way in hell, more like 15 or 20 buck. 60£ is solid case territory.

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Do you know how the weight will compare with a 'real' strat? AFAIK basswood is lighter, right? I don't care too much as long as it doesn't feel flimsy in my hands

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.